Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the Duc forum!
I've had my 1199 ABS Pani since last year and would really like to learn more about my bike potential and how to truly track ride.

With that being said..any recommendations for superbike schools?
I live in Tennessee area.

Thanks in advance![

·
Registered
145 Posts
California Superbike School tours around. I didn't get to go this time in VA but I'm looking to do that. Keith Code does awesome stuff

·
Registered
70 Posts
I did get to attend in VA and I can tell you it is an awesome school. I did the two day camp and used their S1000RR because I didn't want to get the Duc track ready yet. Check it out I am confident you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah! I've been checking in on CSS..they do Barbar track in AL..that's about a 4 1/2 drive for me.
I'm probably going to do it next year.
Gives me a goal.
I'm definitely excited! Can't wait!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cianciotta

Did you finish levels 1&2 during your 2 day camp?
What experience did you have before the school with track or superbikes?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes, completed Levels 1 & 2.

I had no track experience, but have owned a few sport bikes - Ducati 1199, CBR1000RR, Intercepter, etc. Additionally, I teach MSF courses. Don't worry about track experience, the program and coaches are awesome and will walk you though everything you need.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I agree on the California Superbike School, they are best of the best. I recommend grabbing some reading material such as Twist of the Wrist 1 and 2 by Keith Code (owner of the school) and well as Total Control by Lee Parks

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes! Twist 1 and 2, I have both and those alone let me ride my bike a lot better. Though I suggest the 2nd one first, as the 1st one is a little more technical. 100% worth it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great!
Thanks for the input..I was wondering about if purchasing those books would be helpful before hand.
Will be buying those asap tomorrow.
Can't wait to actually do a track day with my Duc!
Of course, education first!
Sure as Hell don't won't to damage the thing first time out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any ideas on having a cheaper dedicated bike versus my 2013 1199?
I definitely want to enjoy it completely..I mean, what's the point in having it if not using it?
But, if I dedicate it to track..then I need a road bike as well.
Only so much funds for this stuff!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well. First things first.

At the CSS, you can use their bike, BMW S1000RR. Cost a little more, but hell, use their bikes.

But for my personal experience, I bought my 848 after a long while not riding. I got the two books and read them, and changed everything I thought I knew about riding. I can ride better, but I also know I suck. I can admit that. Every time I ride I find something I think " I'm struggling with this part" and I reference the books, and find my answers what I'm doing wrong and what to do right. I can ride edge to edge now. But I still suck.

As for having a track bike, I still say use their bikes before deciding to invest in the equipment and time. Go to the school and see if it's something you like. Maybe it's not and you can save big money by making that decision later.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree with using their bikes, at least initially - so you don't have to do the mods or spend money purchasing a new bike.

If you take the two day course the bike (and leathers) is included in the cost. The bike I used had about 10,000 miles and ran flawlessly.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks y'all!
Appreciate the information!
Definitely using their bikes and gear and then go from there.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I used my own bike and glad I did. It let's you get more familiar with the bike and push it's limits and your own limits. My rationale is that I would be more prone to having a spill if I was pushing limits of a bike I am not familiar with. ImageUploadedByDucati.org Forum1408843982.096457.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts