Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any racers or track day riders here that can walk some of us neophytes through setting up this bikes suspension, especially the ohlins? I've heard that the fully adjustable suspensions are great but if not set up properly can actually make the bike unstable and hard to ride, true or not? Or will i only be able to tell the difference on the track?

·
Registered
49 Posts
ten,

i had awesome luck going through the folks at race tech when i had the same issues with my rc51. the best money i ever spent on a bike mod was on one of their gold valve kits when the ohlins frontends were on backorder. more than that they really took the time to go over with me how to set the bike up to best work for what was important to me. to put this in perspective, my next mod was a high dollar penske rear shock and it was, comparitively speaking, a waste of money. of course the experience i have with ducatis, especially with ohlins is that they come fairly well sorted for track day types from the factory, probably because they are not tied to the peculiarly japanese 'all things for all people' philosophy.

good luck!

·
Registered
134 Posts
A good start is setting the static sag and then loaded. About 20mm front, 10mm rear with loaded rear 30mm. I have increased my front compression 2 clicks, but think it's still needs a bit more rebound. Obviously this is for my weight (70kg) and roads.

My comment would be if you're going to make adjustments to your suspension, make sure you write down what they were to start with and keep notes of changes. Worst case scenario you can go back to where you were. I don't think its worth adjusting anything until the set up period (first service) to allow the suspension to bed in (IMO).

Also, do one change at a time so you can analyse the different. Go for a ride and think - what is the front doing / not doing? Is it compressing / rising too slow/quick?

Then make a change and ride the same roads again and take notes.

Or as suggested get a pro to do it. Good luck...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts