Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum.
I am a first time owner of a Ducati 996 sps that has a compression crack in one of the welds on the chassis. It has never been dropped or in any accidents as I personally know the person who had previously owned it. It has 3000 miles on it and I have found a 916 frame to swap the bike on to in order to be able to register and insure it in Canada. (believe me, getting your hands on a Ducati frame in canada with clean title is near to impossible) but i managed to secure one and I am looking for any insight on the job of swapping the bike over. any tips on anything that I may run into or come across during the process would be greatly appreciated. Beautiful bike, I cannot wait for the summer to take her out. Thanks in advance to everyone.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
I'm pretty sure they're identical frames, Ducati didn't change the frame until the shower injected bikes. The pivot shaft also enlarged over the years, but I'll go out on a limb and say it didn't happen until the testastretta.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Geometry is identical, but the SPS is a lighter CroMo alloy. Swapping everything over is not tough, but you do not want to do this. It sounds like your SPS is easily repairable. Take it to a good welder and then have a painter touch up the frame. Worst case, you can have it powdercoated. If you swap the frame, you do not have a genuine SPS in the eyes of any prospective buyer down the road. You are essentially instantly devaluing your bike by about $5,000 right now, and likely much more later.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Swapping everything over is not tough, but you do not want to do this. It sounds like your SPS is easily repairable. Take it to a good welder and then have a painter touch up the frame. Worst case, you can have it powdercoated. If you swap the frame, you do not have a genuine SPS in the eyes of any prospective buyer down the road. You are essentially instantly devaluing your bike by about $5,000 right now, and likely much more later.
Frames failing on the joint begs the question, what made it fail. Street bike frames don't just come undone unless something pretty dramatic happens. If one stress crack already happened, where is the next one going to pop up? This is why for continued use of the machine, its far safer to swap frames if the new frame is something you already have and has been checked over.

It requires a really good frame expert to weld and measure out a frame to insure its OK. We have a guy here called DR. John's frame repair and he's awesome, does a bang-up job. But its hard to find someone like that locally and shipping frames can get costly.

But yea, welding and re-painting isn't the smartest idea because if its failed once, who's saying another part of the frame is ready to go at any moment... then your riding down the road and the head stock cracks off the frame. Yes, that will never happen, but imagine if it did.

·
Registered
188 Posts
By my math you can send a frame around the world dozens of times for five grand.

Get it check and repaired correctly and you'll still be thousands of dollars ahead.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
By my math you can send a frame around the world dozens of times for five grand.
I agree with you, its far better to fix the frame, but its very hard to find someone with the skills necessary to test the frame properly. So if you're just doing a hack job, the value is completely lost anyway.

Any real Ducatisti who saw the frame had been repainted, most likely won't buy the bike anyway.

Any non Ducatisti wouldn't give a shit, they just wanna ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, unfortunately the guy I bought the bike off of swapped out the frame with another 996 frame from the USA. But because ethe frame came across the border as not a complete bike with import papers…. Transport Canada will not allow me to register it. Actually they were questioning me as to the address that the bike is located. This has press dmd to find a clean farm with a canadian title that I can swap the bike over to. I am supposed to purchase this new frame on thursday and have it shipped. I realize it will decrease the value significantly but I am intending on keeping the bike for quite some time as I only paid $2000 for the bike due to the hassle my friend would have to go through to get it going. He has money so he wasn't worried about making money from it. the bike won't owe me anything I just want it to run like it was meant to.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Shadiness abounds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts