Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know this topic has been discussed, and i'll be the first to admit that i'm not the brightest crayon in the box, but can anyone shed some light on this; While the 848 swingarm is more than 15mm or (5\8" for us Yanks) longer than a 916 style swingarm there is far less swingarm to (center of) tire clearance. So little in fact, that even with the eccentric slammed all the way back, i cannot fit my favorite tire, the revered 20\67\17 Michelin Power Slick. My Question is; Did Ducati change this particular aspect of the 848\1x98 swingarm design from model to model or year to year? And if so, what year\ model would have more room? If not, how are you guys, and girls, running taller road race tires on these bikes? There is perhaps 1 or 2 mm more space on the side of the 848 swingarm when compared to the 916, but not enough at the center of the tire. The part number does change from 848 to 1198 on early models and different years, and some have the B for black added, but it is a bit ambiguous, as it says 'complete swing arm' . And we know there is the axle diameter difference. I'm sure you sages and gurus know something about this... Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I'm no expert either but it looks like you were referring to a 200 size rear tire. The 848 was designed to run a 180. Even the 1x98s were only designed to ride with 190s and have clearance issues with 200 rears. There's more to clearance than swingarm length - the length (axle to pivot) doesn't have much to do with how much material is in front of the axle.

If you want to run a taller tire you will need an aftermarket swingarm, though I don't know of any designed to accept a 200 rear - not saying they don't exist, just that I haven't seen any discussions on this topic.

Keep in mind also that the tire will grow at speed, so you'll need more than a little space in front of the tire

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ironic then that I've been running these tall tires on a 916 swingarm for years. no issues. I was surprised to find that the later models actually have less clearance, and a heavier swingarm as well. That still doesn't shed any light on the question though

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Ducktard, I can assure you that a 200 Michelin Power Slick will fit on a 1098/1198 swing arm without modifying it, but with the eccentric as far back as it goes, and it will not rub at all on the swing arm! I just tried this last weekend when I switched to Michelins.

Also, it just so happens that I have a 1098/1198 swing arm that I've been trying to sell for a while, if you're interested ;)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you know if it is shaped differently at the center of tire area than an 848 swingarm? Have you ever run the Pirelli 200/60 superbike slick? if so did it rub? Can you post a pic or two? And, what it it worth to you?

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Do you know if it is shaped differently at the center of tire area than an 848 swingarm? Have you ever run the Pirelli 200/60 superbike slick? if so did it rub? Can you post a pic or two? And, what it it worth to you?
From what my local Ducati master tech told me, the 1198/1098 swing arms are exactly the same as the 848 ones except for they're slightly longer (he didn't know exactly how much longer). Of course the hubs are different, but that's separate, I'm just talking about the swing arm itself. I have not tried the 200 Pirelli. That is next on my tires list. I also have not found dimensions for the Pirelli slicks, but if you know where to find that info you can compare to the Michelin 200 slick which is 664 mm in diameter. Not sure what the difference in growth is between the two at high speed when they're hot.

Oh, and what do you think of those tires?
Well I only have about 20-25 laps around Road America on them, so it's a bit early to form an opinion. My first impression was that they didn't feel any different than the Bridgestone V01 slicks I had before, but they do seem to have a better resistance to wear, so hopefully they'll last longer. I will know more in 3 weeks when I go to my local track.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha ha , 25 laps is practically the life of the pirellies. I have an 848 swingarm, and was contemplating fitting it to my frankenduck, but not at the expense of giving up my favorite tire. If an 1198 swingarm will accommodate it i would be interested in buying it from you.. Let me know what you want for it, and i will try to find out if it will do. I can say for sure , the 200/60 pirelli will not fit on a 2009 848 swing arm.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It would also be interesting to get your opinion of the mechelins after you have set up for them and used them on familiar pavement.. I can say for sure they will last longer and are lighter than the pirellies

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Here is my ad.

http://www.ducati.org/forums/parts/63512-848-1098-1198-swing-arm.html

PM if interested, or with an offer.

I'm confident that I could make the Pirellis last longer than that. I have friends that use them and they're much faster than me and they can get a couple of days out of them, so I should be fine...but by the sound of it, they won't last as much as the Michelins. I find it surprising that the Michelins are lighter. Do you know this for sure? Any data sheets to compare the two? I would've guessed the Pirellis are the lightest ones out of all 4 major brands.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
I thought the SSSAs, except for the Ducati Corse (DP) race PN, were exactly the same, although the hub insert is different, (larger on the 1098/1198 after 2007)...No???

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I thought so too Bob until I realized they have different part numbers so I asked a Ducati master tech and he told me the 848 swing arm is slightly shorter.

Reactions: 219R

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
^^^ good to know, thanks....mine is off a 1098R, as is the frame, bolted to an 848 motor... seems to be pretty good...

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Easy to fit a 180/60 on an 848. All you need to do is add a link to your chain to allow you to reach the maximum eccentric adjustment. I ended up changing my sprockets for more mid range acceleration to a 41T 420 pitch. Since I was buying a longer chain anyway.

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
910 Posts
I thought so too Bob until I realized they have different part numbers so I asked a Ducati master tech and he told me the 848 swing arm is slightly shorter.
They have the same wheelbase listed on Ducati's website. I would think your tech made an error.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
I think you'll find that the complete swingarm between the 848 and 1x98 have different part #'s due to the rear hub but the actual bare arm #'s are the same. The Streetfighter 1098 has a swinger 35mm longer I believe it is.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Well shit...now I don't know what to believe. I've heard so many different things. Maybe some day I'll find an 848 swing arm and an 1198 one and put them side by side, and measure them. Then I can put this topic to rest!

Wheelbase listings are fixed, but we all know the wheelbase changes based on where you put the eccentric. Not saying you're wrong CBR, but it is possible both bikes can have the same wheelbase from the factory, but with 2 different length of swing arms....I would think that's dumb if they did it that way though, so I doubt it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Slight difference in wheelbase center to center (seriously doubt that's the case) will not make ANY difference in tire fitment, so who cares, it's probably a "Master Tech" (oooh, they have all sort of training and experience with swingarm specs and measurements, right?) talking out of his ass.

If there was a different shape to the swing arm profile that would make a difference. The hub and caliper bracket are a lot different. I have 4 sets of swingarms and then 2 more mounted on motorcycles, and I see no difference between the 1198 and 848 sourced parts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.