Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went with my friend who just got the 07 monster s4r and I noticed that the they had a tubular swingarm and wondered why they didn't do that w/ the 1098 instead of having that fat thing. Only thing I could think of is that the 1098 has more hp and torque and needs more support.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
From what i understand Ducati went back to the single sided swing arm purely for aesthetic reasons, I love it!

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
kuma,

"That fat thing" is made out of aluminum, is mostly hollow, and is stronger and lighter than a tube steel swingarm. i get your point though - i thought the singarm on the 916/996/998 looked nicer than the 1098 swingarm.

Elton

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ten.
I love the SSS to. I was just talking about it being tubular instead of the big mass of aluminum. I think it would look alot more sleek.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
The swing arm on the 999 does look good and fits the bike, But IMO looking at them side-by-side that 999 style swing arm would not look right on the 1098.

·
Registered
131 Posts
+1 i love the ssa! it may be a purely asthetic piece but one ive allways loved.

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
Kuma,

It only makes sense to compare the Single-sided Swingarm, (SSA), with other SSA. The SSA was brought back on the 1098 after consumers complained about the 999 having a dual swingarm. The 999 had a dual swingarm because it was lighter and more rigid than the SSA used on the 916/996/998. That's why the ducati motogp bike has a dual swingarm rather than a SSA.

During the design phase of the 1098, Ducati required that every component be functional as well as esthetic. Per Ducati, if it wasn't lighter, it was rejected. So, even though consumers made it clear they prefered the SSA of the 916/996/998 over the dual swingarm on the 999, Ducati was committed to staying with the dual swingarm unless an SSA could be designed and built that was functionally superior. No matter how much we whined, they weren't gonna give us back the SSA unless it worked better also. At least this is Ducati's story.

It is from this design requirement that the 1098 SSA was borne. Per Ducati, the 1098 SSA, (unlike the 916/996/998 SSS), is lighter and stronger than the 999 dual swingarm. But I'm skeptical. If the 1098 SSA is in fact functionally better than the dual singarm of the 999, why isn't it on the MotoGP bike? Logic mandates that if it really is lighter and stronger, (not to mention the increased speed of tire changes, an important consideration in racing), it would be on the GP7.

If in fact the 1098 SSA is really more a response to consumer demand rather than a design improvement, (which I'm fine with), I would have preferred a return to the less bulky and more esthetic SSA of the 916/996/998.

Elton

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just to throw another twist into all of this, I was speaking with my dealer about the expected 'R' model, and the issue of the SSA came up.
Since the 'R' in race trim will be expected to develop more power, we wondered whether the SSA will be able to handle the power.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I also read somewhere that the SSA can't handle the Superbike/Moto GP 200+ hp and still remain a reasonable size and weight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts