Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fitting a new bodykit to my '97 748. Things have been going well - but I've run into a problem with the tail-light.

I am replacing an OEM (but broken) monopost tail section with an aftermarket monopost. Here's the new one:
Helmet Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

The first indication that something was off was fitting the seat. It was missing the upper holes for the seat, but had two un-needed ones drilled lower. After looking at lots of pictures on line, I've come to the conclusion that it may have been setup for the front half of a bi-post seat. Here you can see the marks I made to locate the new holes I had to drill, and also the unused holes lower in the pan:
Composite material Engineering Space Electric blue Automotive exterior

No big deal - but now I'm running into troubles with the tail-light. Here's my old tail-section. The 4 holes near the tail section are all on - or at least close to - perpendicular to a single plane:
Wood Yellow Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

On my new part, there is definitely a step between these 2 set of holes:
Thumb Electric blue Creative arts Metal Fashion accessory

Or, perhaps, more accurately, the holes are drilled at angle that's not perpendicular to the plane they are on. In any event, something is different.
My tail-light assembly won't bolt into the new tail-section. I've verified that it goes back into the old tail without problems (I don't think it's user error).
My tail-light hardware goes into the old unit like this:
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Given what I observed with the seat, I am wondering if - perhaps - this tail section might also be setup for bipost tail-light installation. Something like this:
Bumper Musical instrument accessory Toy Automotive exterior Tool

That's a lot - so here's my questions:
1) Do any of you knowledgeable guys know if I'm on the right track? Alternatively, was there a design change during the run that changed the tail-light mounting?
2) Does anybody know what minimal set of hardware I would need to buy in order to fit my tail-light to this tail section? Maybe this is the time to buy a new integrated tail-light and ditch the external turn signals- thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Any help?
Are you using a biposto subframe?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any help?
Are you using a biposto subframe?

Thank you so much. I think that thread you found confirms what I was thinking - that there is a step (like I have) on a bipost tail-light setup - specifically for the latch pin. I need to do the opposite - essentially, I appear to have a "biposto" tail section- that only has one seat on it. My guess is the manufacturer took all their measurements off an OEM biposto unit, and built this single seat part, incorrectly assuming they were all the same regarding tail-light/latch setup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts