Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys new to the forum, 53 years old and getting back into biking after 30ish years.

I am after a bike that comes out of the garage on a sunday and also a little light touring.

All winter I have been set on getting a Kawasaki Versys 650 which gets great reviews wherever you look so that would be a safe option. Easy to install heated grips, sat nav, top box etc. £6800.

But I have been seduced by the Monster 821. The thing looks amazing.

Ive reviewed it to death and it gets a mixed review having a few niggles but mainly positive. £9000. Im not sure if its possible to install heated grips and sat nav easily and I am also not sure how it would be as a light tourer but look at the damn thing its a pretty thing.

I am testing one this week and I will let you know how I get on, but if anyone wants to add there opinions then fire away.

Cheers guys.

Andy.
:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi guys new to the forum, 53 years old and getting back into biking after 30ish years.

I am after a bike that comes out of the garage on a sunday and also a little light touring.

All winter I have been set on getting a Kawasaki Versys 650 which gets great reviews wherever you look so that would be a safe option. Easy to install heated grips, sat nav, top box etc. £6800.

But I have been seduced by the Monster 821. The thing looks amazing.

Ive reviewed it to death and it gets a mixed review having a few niggles but mainly positive. £9000. Im not sure if its possible to install heated grips and sat nav easily and I am also not sure how it would be as a light tourer but look at the damn thing its a pretty thing.

I am testing one this week and I will let you know how I get on, but if anyone wants to add there opinions then fire away.

Cheers guys.

Andy.
:)
Hey Andy! Good for you and your return to the fold. I'm your age (give or take) and have among others a Monster 1200. On a spirited ride I'm good for 2 1/2 or 3 hours absolute tops before I'm totally spent. I attribute that to my age and not the bike and I'm sure the younger crowd here will disagree with the 3 hour observation. The Monster is still a forward leaning machine and ya gotta be prepared for that especially at our age. I'm not sure what your parameters are when you say "touring"?

The bike is fantastic, nimble, fast and a ton of visceral response and I can't really see me ever abandoning my Monsters but if you're looking for cross country, long day rides know that the Monster is, as I mentioned, a forward leaning bike and no where near the upright of say the BMW GS touring machines. Ya definitely gotta commit to the machine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I traded a triumph thruxton in for my 821 simply because I out about 8k miles on in 4 months and my back was on fire when I was riding. I'm only 27 but with bad back problems. I only have about 800 miles on the 821 and I already have a trip planned here in the states for about 9 hours one way to get to the east coast of the states. In trying to knock it out in 2 days. I think as a light touring bike like this it will work perfect.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am 27 and I think the ergos on the 821 are pretty bad. Its mainly the foot pegs. Even though I am short, there is always a cramped feeling. After an hour I will start feeling it in my hips. As I put more miles on the bike I am becoming more accustomed to it though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Andy,

I'm 50 and now have 115 miles on my new 821. The bike is truly awesome. Joseph said it correctly when he spoke to the "visceral response" one gets when running through the gears. I'm still in the break-in period (before 600 miles) so I have not revved past 5,500. I can tell you the bike is really quick -- very pleased I decided against the 1200 in favor of the 821. PLENTY of bike for this weekend warrior. Given the forward cant, my wrists do get a bit sore (maybe my riding style) after about an hour but that's it. I bought the bike to have some fun (and feel younger) in the evenings/weekends and after 115 miles, I wouldn't change a thing! Good luck with the decision.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so I've had a 2 hour test ride.

Great bike with lots of character. Felt at home on it virtually straight away. Started in urban mode and I have to say that is enough power for me. Switching to touring then sports mode certainly unleashed a quicker bike with more snatchy brakes.
A little too much lean forward for me, resulting in slight wrist ache after an hour, but I suppose that could be sorted.
Tiny bit of steering wobble at 70mph but not too bad. Quite a bit of wind buffeting also at that speed but its is a naked bike after all.
Absolute stunning to look at and I would be proud to own one.
The right heel rub problem that some people have brought up as an issue didn't bother me at all.
The bike had 400 miles on the clock and it went into neutral with no problem. The gearbox was a pleasure to use.

Now for the most noticeable thing about this bike...

The sound.

What a sound, never heard anything like it, its immense. From tick over just blipping the throttle is this bikes party piece.

A bit bizzarre but the fantastic sound the bike makes could be the reason for me not to purchase one as it would be just too loud for where I live.

Bummer.

Andy

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's noisier sitting on the bike. It's not so bad to pedestrians on the sidewalk. You could barely hear it if you're inside your house. However, in any enclosed space, like say, a parking garage, it sounds like you're on a deck of a WW2 aircraft carrier.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ok so I've had a 2 hour test ride.

Great bike with lots of character. Felt at home on it virtually straight away. Started in urban mode and I have to say that is enough power for me. Switching to touring then sports mode certainly unleashed a quicker bike with more snatchy brakes.
A little too much lean forward for me, resulting in slight wrist ache after an hour, but I suppose that could be sorted.
Tiny bit of steering wobble at 70mph but not too bad. Quite a bit of wind buffeting also at that speed but its is a naked bike after all.
Absolute stunning to look at and I would be proud to own one.
The right heel rub problem that some people have brought up as an issue didn't bother me at all.
The bike had 400 miles on the clock and it went into neutral with no problem. The gearbox was a pleasure to use.

Now for the most noticeable thing about this bike...

The sound.

What a sound, never heard anything like it, its immense. From tick over just blipping the throttle is this bikes party piece.

A bit bizzarre but the fantastic sound the bike makes could be the reason for me not to purchase one as it would be just too loud for where I live.

Bummer.

Andy
I dunno Andy!?! This is not an obnoxious sounding bike by any stretch. It's not that loud and in general it's a pleasing sound, at least until it's really pushed. No offense to any Harley guys here but Harleys (particularly early in the morning) are obnoxious. That and they're obnoxious even at idle.

There's a bit of brat at start-up on a Monster but you can easily manage noise while you sneak out of the neighborhood. I've got a Monster and an s1000r and the s1000r is probably just as loud (although I've never thought of either as loud).

To each their own of course but loving a Ducati Monster but deciding not to buy one because it's too loud? I dunno what kinda restrictions you're faced with in your hood but yes..that's just a tad bizarre. Be a rebel. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've read on these forums people mentioning a steering wobble at higher speeds on the freeway but I haven't experienced that at all. Makes me think your demo had something slightly off. So I wouldn't consider that an issue.
I've put risers on my bike but now I'm considering swapping the bars instead. There are options as you mentioned to get the pressure off your wrists. I tried to do the quicker easier riser option but I think I'll be happier with different bars.
And I think the sound is incredible. I think it is noticeable but not TOO loud. I agree with Joseph that the Harleys are way more loud in the morning for all the neighbors to hear than the monster.
And you're doing your research which is good. When making a decision make sure to go with what the heart wants. As they say it's hard to get everything you want in one bike. But damn does this monster make the heart go boom

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bought one last week

I looked at the 821 as a replacement for my VFR (I'm 55 and "cuddly"). I also had a GSXR600 which my son rode (for a 600 sports, read "I'm 55 and too fat").

We went into Ducati Glasgow and looked at the 821. Also considered trading in both bikes and getting an 821 and Panigale. However, after 24 hours consideration I traded in both bikes and got an 821 and 1200S.

I am using the 821 for commuting and it's a dream. Coming from the VFR and Gixer, it doesn't feel "forward leaning" at all - much the opposite, it's very comfortable. I'll use the 1200S when I can wrestle my son off of it!

The 821 is very comfortable and I would reckon that coming back to riding after a break, you will naturally get a wee bit of wrist ache and this will disappear as you get used to riding again.

As for the noise, I have Termignoni Race cans on both bikes; I leave at 6:30am each day and spoke to the neighbours to see if it was too disruptive and they both said it doesn't disturb them at all, so don't rule it out because of the noise.

These bikes are the first Ducati's I have owned and the first naked bike I've had as well and I can say I am well impressed. Should have done it a couple of years ago ............:yo::yo:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.