Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a used Tamburini aluminum tank. It does not have the two nipples that the stock tank has. So I have the black cowbell looking thing with the two tubes that have nowhere to go. Anyone know what the black cowbell looking thing is and can I remove it? It attaches to the intake side of each of the cylinders as well. Do I just vent those to atmosphere?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
The cowbell thing is the evap canister. You can delete it from the bike. Typically with the stock tank you would 't' the two lines coming off tank into one line that vents underneath the bike. As far as the two nipples or hose fittings that are on the intake runners, you remove the fittings and use a suitable bolt or brass plug to replace the fittings making sure to reuse the copper washers off of the aforementioned fittings. Because the engine has vacuum at that point, the original intention of the system was to recycle gas fumes from the tank by "vacuuming" the fumes through the evap canister and into the intake. If you don't plug them, it's a vacuum leak with the possibility to suck in fine foreign matter into the engine. Not to mention it inhales a small amount of unmetered air into engine. So yes, you can delete the canister if you wish with virtually no consequences. However, I'm not sure what to say about your new tank not having the vents built in. I'd just make sure you dont over fill that tank.

Here is a link to the write up for the delete
http://www.ducati.org/forums/how-tos/1888-charcoal-canister-removal-write-up.html

Hope it helps

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Those "cowbells" apparently make for good catch containers per CCS regulations...they're the perfect size, just need some sealing work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Awesome. I get an answer and a laugh in the middle of the day. Can't beat that. Thanks for the info! Coming off tonight. As for the vent, the fuel cap is vented so no issue there.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've got a 2007 1098, second owner, and I've got serious gas fumes coming off the bike. When I bought the bike a few years ago, I removed the tank to coat the inside with Caswell Coating. When I did this, I noticed there were no hoses attached to the two nipples on the bottom of the tank. Someone on here once said that these lines, T'd, should return to the throttle body. How exactly does the tank vent its fumes? Ive looked at the parts tables, but they really don't explain what each hose is and where it attaches. I should mention that my charcoal canister is removed.

Any help would be most welcome! My garage reeks of fuel, probably unsafe!

Greg
Houston
2007 1098

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.