Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's quite a bit of discussion on UK Ducati forums about fuel tank range for the 1098. What sort of mileage are you guys getting before fuel warning lights, and what do you estimate is the tank range?

·
Registered
166 Posts
My low fuel light has been coming on around 105-115 miles & I calulate about 37 mpg. I've got the Termi slip-ons w/ ecu and air filter which likely lowers it some. Although I haven't tried it, I figure my range to be ~150 miles before the engine goes silent :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
vikingdrvr said:
I've got the Termi slip-ons w/ ecu and air filter which likely lowers it some. :)
Actually the exhaust and filter mods make the engine more efficient, so the mileage should be slightly better.
Do we have any info from "non-modified" bike owners?

·
Registered
166 Posts
paul sonderfan said:
Do we have any info from "non-modified" bike owners?
I never ran mine with the stock exhaust. Also it may be more efficient but I'd be very surprised if the ecu isn't quite a bit fatter than stock.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That is pretty bad. for me that 185km before I start looking for petrol stations. In Asutralia that also means finding places with high octaine fuel

Why do they have to shave weight by low tank volume. If people want to limit race weight then they just need half fill ( or fill tank to km) . By setting this physical limit it means limiting the travels to the backroads.

How many KM on reserve ?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Wow!! That is a short range tank.
I didn't think about it before, but Viking's numbers seem right.
Tank is 4.1 US gallons, with 1 gallon reserve.
So 3.1 gallons at 37 mpg, is 114.7 miles until we hit reserve!

·
Registered
38 Posts
So that means we have about 45 Km on reserve. Chances are you would could not be going hard once the light comes on so that means maybe about 60km on reserve

·
Registered
30 Posts
115 miles. Thats looks about right. The tank looks very similar in shape to the 916 and i get around 110-120 a tank, sometimes 105 . ONe time had 90 but that was on a long hard run through the twisties. I'll compare them when i pick up my 1098, keeping the 916 too :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fuel capacity

Have a 1098S delivered last week and went out for a ride at the weekend.
Filled up the tank and after a while the indication for fuel came up (i think about 115km). Went a litlle further but couldn't find gas station. Went out of gas and it became very silent .... :jerkoff:
My mate had to go and get me some fuel (in 2- 250cc plastic bottles) and we filled up.
Went out again directly to fill her up. 5km away filled it up with !!! 12.5 liters, so this means that the capacity isn't even 15.5 as described ??? :confused:
I thing the range is 185km max as i went on i stopped to fill up at every station.
btw: standard exhaust (termi's are ordered)

·
Registered
100 Posts
DUCMILLE said:
Wow!! That is a short range tank.
I didn't think about it before, but Viking's numbers seem right.
Tank is 4.1 US gallons, with 1 gallon reserve.
So 3.1 gallons at 37 mpg, is 114.7 miles until we hit reserve!

This doesn't sound like that much of a big deal. My ZX-10's low fuel light comes on at about the same time (110-115 mi). That's about when my butt is telling me to stop anyway.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The mileage really surprised me. I'll usually run 150 miles + before the light comes on on the 916, thats mid-40's for mpg whereas the 1098 is mid-30's and I'm still taking it easy on it :)
I'm curious just how much the tank actually holds too as I've heard a lot of the newer Ducs have a very conservative low fuel light.

·
Registered
337 Posts
RC51 goes for about 150 to 160 before I hit reserve, so it is a surprise to me.
Since we sometimes go on rides that are 100 miles out, that means finding gas before heading back for the new 1098.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Desmo Duc said:
i thought it would be higher than that. What kind of riding are you doing?
I just ride man...no particular style. I live Dallas so there's not a whole lot a "country road riding". I twisted on the throttle a time or two..maybe three or four.. but seriously, nothing abusive. For the most part I kept the R's between 3-5.5k with occassional blast to 7000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Still running mine in at the moment and keeping under that 6000 rpm red line. I went from full to fuel light in 110 miles. I reckon take a few off for more aggressive riding and I'm looking to stop every 100 miles for fuel. Still, that's better than my mate used to get on his Honda Firestorm. That used to get the fuel light coming on at 85 miles !!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts