Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to pull my bike into the basement today and noticed a tapping noise at idle. more noticeable in the front of the bike. not sure if this matters but i recently installed full leo vince exhaust system. havent remapped the ecu yet. figure id throw it out there no sure if i should be concerned. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
310 Posts
what's the oil fill look like? What grade of oil is in there and how were the local air temps when you started it? Also, how old and how many miles since the oil change.

I do't know much about the exhaust system but could see how the drop in back pressure might change things.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what's the oil fill look like? What grade of oil is in there and how were the local air temps when you started it? Also, how old and how many miles since the oil change.

I do't know much about the exhaust system but could see how the drop in back pressure might change things.

Oil level is good, 600 mile service was the last oil change. The bike only has 23XX miles on it. It was warmer earlier in the day when I rode it, then It sat all day out side. Pulled it in that night the temp maybe changed 10-15 degrees

·
Registered
294 Posts
I notice it too. Maybe its been there since I bought it with 1400m but I notice it more after I got it back after I went down. Hope I am just Paranoid. I did an oil change at 2600 with Mutol 300v.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Hopefully this is just paranoia, and not really a problem.

But running a freer exhaust without adapting the engine tune is not a good idea.

It will result in your engine breathing more air volume (due to the more open exhaust) which, with the stock ECU, will result in a lean mixture. That is, too much air with not enough fuel.

This will cause the engine to run hotter (think oxy-torch). Hopefully this hasn't caused any damage at this stage, but it's worth getting the suitable engine tune for your exhaust.

If a piston has got too hot it may pick-up on the exhaust side, which will cause a tapping sound similar to that referred to as 'piston slap'.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully this is just paranoia, and not really a problem.

But running a freer exhaust without adapting the engine tune is not a good idea.

It will result in your engine breathing more air volume (due to the more open exhaust) which, with the stock ECU, will result in a lean mixture. That is, too much air with not enough fuel.

This will cause the engine to run hotter (think oxy-torch). Hopefully this hasn't caused any damage at this stage, but it's worth getting the suitable engine tune for your exhaust.

If a piston has got too hot it may pick-up on the exhaust side, which will cause a tapping sound similar to that referred to as 'piston slap'.
i could understand that if id been riding the bike for a while but i noticed it during a cold start

·
Registered
310 Posts
i could understand that if id been riding the bike for a while but i noticed it during a cold start
at start up the oil is tons thicker some where to the order of 10:1 or 20:1 and wont be thinned out and freely distributing until you warm up.

does this persists after it warms?

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
The fact that you heard it when the motor wasn't warm was part of my suspicion, as piston damage may be more audible while the engine is still cold.

Both due to the thicker oil mentioned above, and the fact that heat-generated expansion can reduce piston noise.

But I'm only making a suggestion. Don't go pulling your engine down..

·
Registered
310 Posts
The fact that you heard it when the motor wasn't warm was part of my suspicion, as piston damage may be more audible while the engine is still cold.

Both due to the thicker oil mentioned above, and the fact that heat-generated expansion can reduce piston noise.

But I'm only making a suggestion. Don't go pulling your engine down..
Hey Pat great info sir. Is there a non invasive way to check for piston damage?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't ran it since putting it in my basement, I'll pull it out tonight and let it run. Hopefully it's nothing

·
Registered
528 Posts
OP: I noticed a knocking noise at idle on my 09' 848 a while back and it turned out to be a bad alternator side crankcase cover bearing... I posted some videos on this forum of the exploration process and the final discovery of the problem. Has that cover been removed for any reason that you know of? If the right tool wasn't used and the bearing incurred damage, that could be your problem... It's pretty easy to remove the small window on the cover to have a quick look inside at the bearing.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
One thing to always rule out is clutch noise. With the bike running, simply pull the clutch lever and see if you hear the noise anymore.

Even though its extremely rare, Charles has a good point about the bearing. A lot of owners don't quite know the bike's condition prior to purchase. So even though it's got low mileage, maybe there was some work done to it earlier in life?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts