Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 749s hits 220 riding in the city too fast and easy
That’s just too hot, I can’t tell and don’t think my fans are turning on
Think I’m going to have to toggle switch my fans and run them full time when I’m riding

Are fans common problem’s with Ducati?

that’s half my trouble

My check engine lite comes on and off riding

often times when I go to start my bike if the check engine light is on it won’t start

so I have to turn the key off and on till eventually check engine light stays off
And then it starts

when it’s hot (always) I just have to wait a couple times over an hour before it is able to restart

I would turn it off at red lights but it’s not going to restart

Ducati going to be for sale, but I still have to get this sorted out for the next guy

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 749s hits 220 riding in the city too fast and easy
That’s just too hot, I can’t tell and don’t think my fans are turning on
Think I’m going to have to toggle switch my fans and run them full time when I’m riding

Are fans common problem’s with Ducati?

that’s half my trouble

My check engine lite comes on and off riding

often times when I go to start my bike if the check engine light is on it won’t start

so I have to turn the key off and on till eventually check engine light stays off
And then it starts

when it’s hot (always) I just have to wait a couple times over an hour before it is able to restart

I would turn it off at red lights but it’s not going to restart

Ducati going to be for sale, but I still have to get this sorted out for the next guy
What type of bike but 220 is not uncommon. Also if it is hard starting my guess is the evap system is flooding the engine intake. Might look into removing if you are using for track. (Hint) It is not legal to remove on street.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
The 998s have the same cooling system components but revised (less effective) fairing cooling vents and an additional radiator fan. The computer turns the fans on (LH) at 214°F, (RH) at 216°F.

The most common 998 gauge temperatures experienced are 210°F at speed and 250°F in traffic on a hot day. Substituting Water Wetter/water for the glycol/water coolant drops these numbers to 200°F and 220°F respectively. One owner checked the accuracy of the gauge and found that it read 15 degrees high.

Font Number Circle Rectangle Screenshot

Typical 998 Operating Temperatures on a 90°F Day
200°F @ speed with WaterWetter/water
210°F @ speed with 50/50 glycol/water
220°F @ traffic stop with WaterWetter/water
250°F @ traffic stop with 50/50 glycol/water

The cooling system is designed to keep the engine coolant temperature at a specific operating point, 180°F, when moving at speed on a hot 90°F day. This is the operating condition that is used to size the radiator, water pump and hoses. The overall design is based on the use of a 50/50 mixture of ethylene glycol and distilled water. If you use a different coolant or mixture percentage you change the design operating temperature.

So, running down the highway on a 75°F day, the temperature usually will settle-in at about 170° to 175°F.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What type of bike but 220 is not uncommon. Also if it is hard starting my guess is the evap system is flooding the engine intake. Might look into removing if you are using for track. (Hint) It is not legal to remove on street.
Thanks for the reply
Cycle is
2003 749s

not legal for street 🤣 I do care about the environment, having a 21 yr old daughter
Boise Idaho is many miles from any street track
I do like going to the 1/4 mile track only a few miles away, but I wouldn’t wast my time on this bike, my r6’s are so beyond what this bike can do it makes me wonder about how they ever have gotten so much love

220 is just to hot for my piece of and peace in mind

1 - 5 of 5 Posts