Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my first ducati 1198 getting delivered next week.do i need to tell my insurance company.are they just a cosmetic extra or illegal for the road.i also am getting the original end cans with the bike so no problem if i have to change them.but most people are saying its just a straight replacement and road legal.

·
Registered
438 Posts
yes the Termi's are street legal. But each state has different levels of acceptable exhaust noise.
meaning you might get pulled over for not using the baffles that come with the set.

In MN I run full Akra's with no baffles and I don't have to worry about getting a excessive noise ticket.
Not when the Harley next to me is load as shit.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Termi makes two versions of their exhausts. One of them is "race" and one of them is "street". It's hard to tell which one is which by glancing at it. There should be a Euro 3 marking on it somewhere that identify's it as street legal. You could also find a part number, that may help you track down which version it is. I believe both Termi's ECU say "racing" on the dash, even the Euro 3 spec one, so that probably won't help.

Honestly, I wouldn't mention it to anyone… nobody is going to know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes the Termi's are street legal. But each state has different levels of acceptable exhaust noise.
meaning you might get pulled over for not using the baffles that come with the set.

In MN I run full Akra's with no baffles and I don't have to worry about getting a excessive noise ticket.
Not when the Harley next to me is load as shit.
i agree how can harleys be street legal they make one hell of a noise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Termi makes two versions of their exhausts. One of them is "race" and one of them is "street". It's hard to tell which one is which by glancing at it. There should be a Euro 3 marking on it somewhere that identify's it as street legal. You could also find a part number, that may help you track down which version it is. I believe both Termi's ECU say "racing" on the dash, even the Euro 3 spec one, so that probably won't help.

Honestly, I wouldn't mention it to anyone… nobody is going to know.
Thanks for the advice i will look when i get bike next week but also have the original end cans as well which look crap compared to the carbon termingonis.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you need baffles or db noise killers for your Termis (70mm?) I have a set I will sell you. It reduces the decibels until wide open...
I had them on for a month and liked the full roar than the meow whimper.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you need baffles or db noise killers for your Termis (70mm?) I have a set I will sell you. It reduces the decibels until wide open...
I had them on for a month and liked the full roar than the meow whimper.
FYI - Two versions of the DB killers for the 70mm termis 1098/1198/848 exhaust. The older oval and the newer style.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The Termis are legal and sing a beautiful song when you open the throttle, especially the newer style.

Utilizing DB killers tame the noise down a bit.. it all depends on your taste and preference -

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to the Ducati family and congrats on your new ride. I'm sure you'll lose plenty of sleep here for the next few days waiting anxiously for the arrival of your baby. Congrats again.

I almost didn't purchase my bike because it was too loud for my taste with a Remus exhaust in it already. The dealer contacted the previous owner and he found the db killer and gave it to me for free. He also sold me the double can dark stock exhaust for $100!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Slip-ons will be street legal, a full system is typically not. Goes for Termis & basically any other brand, since the full system eliminates the cat/etc.

The full 70mm Termi system on my 2007 1098s has "Race Use Only" stamped on the underside of the metal/rubber brackets that hold the cans under the pass seat, but just because a system doesn't indicate "race use" doesn't mean that it's 100%, by-the-book street legal....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, i am sure i will enjoy it but delivery delayed a few days till next week.glad you got your db killers.i am still curious what they do to the exhaust sound and might try them.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Slip-ons will be street legal, a full system is typically not. Goes for Termis & basically any other brand, since the full system eliminates the cat/etc.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the cats in the slip-on/exhaust can section of the system?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Pretty sure not legal as the cats are in the mufflers, so depending on your local EPA laws as to how legal or not they are. Also I'm pretty sure Ducati says for track use only on the 70mm exhaust system.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Pretty sure not legal as the cats are in the mufflers,
I agree, so can't see how slip-ons are legal and full system isn't as MCA mentioned.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree, so can't see how slip-ons are legal and full system isn't as MCA mentioned.
You're correct, I forgot that Ducati's locate the cat there. I'm recent to Ducati's and more used to Japanese systems where the cat is usually still preserved with slip-ons.
Sorry for any confusion!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
You're correct, I forgot that Ducati's locate the cat there. I'm recent to Ducati's and more used to Japanese systems where the cat is usually still preserved with slip-ons.
Sorry for any confusion!
No harm, no foul..

Wasn't aware of the Jap bike cat slip-on preservation either

1 - 16 of 16 Posts