Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well guys ive had my 1098 for 3 days and after 8 years of accident free riding and 12 years of dreaming of owning a ducati superbike i am now sitting on the couch nursing a broken ankle and a wrecked bike with 55 miles on it. Went riding with my girlfriend, her first time out on her own bike (my Triumph 675). well she makes a left turn and apparently doesnt realize im behind her (god knows how in the world she didnt know that) and as soon as she clears the intersection she she slams on the brakes and stops dead in front of me! (still cant figure why she would stop in the middle of the road just after clearing the intersection) long story short i have to stop short (couldnt swerve as i was still leaned in turning when she did it) brakes lock up tires skid and down i go. Damage is pretty bad, both rear views and the entire left fairing. Broken shifter, lever, messed up kickstand ect.... what a horrible feeling!

·
Registered
122 Posts
That really sucks sorry to hear about the crash. The Duc can be fixed how's the ankle? My last crash had to have surgery on my wrist. Pins screws the works. Hope yours will mend on its own.

Keep your chin up and get well.

·
Banned
9,495 Posts
I am sorry for you, dont be to hard on the GF.
Who knows why they do any the things they do? Just got to love them.
Insurance I hope?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Stimacsays said:
I am sorry for you, dont be to hard on the GF.
Who knows why they do any the things they do? Just got to love them.
Insurance I hope?
Ditto!
Riding buddies - whether female or not - do weird things when you're riding.
Hope the ankle isn't too bad and you're riding again soon.
Hang in there!!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Ohhhhhhh man! I'll bet you were mad enough to chew nails! Well, it's still early in the year, you have time to heal before the really good weather gets here, get well soon.
And don't get to cross with her if it was her first time, she still learning. BTW you didn't mention, did you hit the triumph, how did it fare?
If and when you feel up to it, maybe you could post some pics of the damage and repairs along with some cost estimates.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Well here's hoping you get better soon.

So sit back, relax and let your insurance take care of the rest.

Jason

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hope the ankle heals quick. On the brighter side, think of all the mods you can do when the insurance comes in and while you're laid up!

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I hate to ask but any pix?

Jason

·
Registered
547 Posts
Thats a huge bummer man. Im sorry, rest up and get back out there! What did your gf say was the reason that she stopped? Usually you dont stop in the middle of the road.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Ohhh geeeez.. I just cringed when I read your note. Listen to all your buddies, don't be mad at the gf, just get well. You'll be back in the saddle again and the 1098 can be made just like new.

I'm sure we'd all like to hear once you're back on the road. I bet your gf feels just as awful as you do...maybe worse.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sorry to hear that !!! :(

·
Registered
458 Posts
That a real bad luck ! I hope your girlfriend take good care of you !!!

I broked mine (and 9 others bones) last november after i did a low side.

Take it easy....it's help !

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks

thanks for the support guys. Im mellowing out on her now that im calmed down (and on the pain killers lol). As for who asked the question why she stopped there like that, apparently she wanted to turn into the parking lot on the left corner (WTF!!???) anyway she does feel very bad and says she wishes it was her and not me. On the bright side she is taking really good care of me! As for the bike i will try and take some pics once some of the soreness wares off and i can get around a little. Also i will post tomorow after i talk to my dealer and find out how long i will be waiting for parts. Wish me luck on that one! I cant wait to get back on the bike, that was the best 55 miles or so ive ever spent on a motorcycle! what a bike! even better than my daytona 675!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Man I know the feeling all too well. On the bright side, the damage sounds superficial. New fairings, mirrors, shifter and a kickstand and the bike is brand new again.

Hope the ankle heals quick without complications.

This too will pass.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i was upset at her at first but in alot of ways it was my fault. I didnt really spend any time teaching her how to ride first and making sure she knew how important it is to be aware of everything going on around her. I know new riders are unpredictable and shouldnt have treated her as if she was an experienced rider. And i suppose after 8+ years of riding with no mishaps i shouldve known better. Live and learn i guess. On the bright side from now on im sure she will be paying more attention to her surroundings, she said she was just so nervous about riding a basically brand new bike (i just bought the Daytona last season) she wasnt able to think straight and was suffering from tunnel vision. The insurance company is going to cover the damage and hopefully the medical bills as well and i should be back on the road in a couple of months!

·
Registered
458 Posts
You have to fing the good side of it !

For me...it is a brand new Ducati :)

May be for you, IT's will be a brand new girlfriend....lol

Just joking :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Anybody know that guy????????
Just found them in the web........