Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first Ducati in November. A 2014 Diavel from Coleman Powersports in VA. I did the break-in per the manual and got a full Termi exhaust installed at 600 miles. The bike died while i was riding it 3 weeks ago and would not restart. I had it towed to Coleman. I called after 4 days to find out if they had fixed her. They told me the flywheel detached from the shaft and basically hosed the engine. Total rebuild requiring 5k in parts and 2.5k in labor. The bike has 800 miles on it.

The repairs are covered under warranty, but i am without a bike for 6 to 8 weeks. I have called the dealer 4 times for updates. They have yet to contact me proactively. They do not offer loaner bikes. Ducati has yet to reply to my multiple attempts to contact customer service. I am beyond pissed. I pretty much hate Ducati right now and regret the decision to spend 25k.

Is this normal? Anyone else have such bad luck with Ducati Customer Service?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
So the dealer told you that it will take 6-8 weeks to get the parts? Or you are just assuming that?
You have called the dealer 4 times in 2 weeks for updates, AND complained to Ducati multiple times??

Loaner bikes are solely at the discretion of the dealer. Just like loaner cars are solely at the discretion of most car dealerships.

Your bike broke. That sucks. But it is covered under warranty without a fight. I think you need to mellow out a bit. Let the dealer do what they do and then enjoy your bike when you get it back

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
And if the parts are being located from other dealers, etc.. what good is going to the dealer again goiing to do?

I will never understand the thought that someone is being "mistreated", or "treated poorly" because a repair doesnt happen in what they think is an acceptable time-frame.

The dealer clearly wasnt delaying... they had the bike broken down, determined the cause of the problem, estimate created, all within 4 days. What should they have done, drug some other paying customers bike off the lift for OP? What if you were the other paying customer?

·
Registered
22 Posts
And if the parts are being located from other dealers, etc.. what good is going to the dealer again goiing to do?

I will never understand the thought that someone is being "mistreated", or "treated poorly" because a repair doesnt happen in what they think is an acceptable time-frame.

The dealer clearly wasnt delaying... they had the bike broken down, determined the cause of the problem, estimate created, all within 4 days. What should they have done, drug some other paying customers bike off the lift for OP? What if you were the other paying customer?
OK lets be realistic here, 1st of all, a "DUCATI" dealership should be equiped with enough parts to expect the unexpected. Yes they determined what the problem was with in 4 days thats great but when they tell the customer its going to take 6 to 8 weeks? thats a bit of a kick in the cojones. I worked as a tech at a Honda motorcycle dealership and they even had crated engines in stock for that same purpose and if they didnt have the parts they would overnight them. A happy customer will tell 5 and 10 but a PISSED OFF customer will tell the entire world. And as far as draging a paying customers bike of the lift to for the OP? im sure they have more than ONE lift, and BTW The OP is a paying customer too!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
It really really sucks your Diavel crapped out. I think all of us (or most of us) are always vigilant and hopeful it doesn't happen to our own bike(s).

Clearly in this situation how you choose to move forward is gonna define the rest of this journey. Human nature being what it is (and anyone who's worked in customer service knows) usually establishing a cordial, friendly relationship with the folks that have the future of your bike in hand is paramount in determining how rough (or not) the road ahead is gonna be. Even if you're inwardly pissed. Some days ya just gotta be smarter than the opposing situation no matter how hard. I've even gone to the extent of bringing burgers for a Saturday lunch for my service guys just to strengthen that relationship. We were in a position of waiting on a part from Ducati for 3 weeks last summer but they kept in communication with me and the conversation between was never agitated and I believed them when they indicated there was nothing they could do to speed the process up. I hated being without my bike (at that time it was my only bike) but I knew I needed these guys on my side no matter how frustrated it was internally.

I don't blame you for being upset at the situation but it seems to me everyone is doing what there supposed to do. Even mildly confrontational phone calls (and I dunno if you've done this or not but from the tone of your post I'm guessing your close) are just gas on the fire and gas on the fire here ain't gonna help. As others have suggested I'd make a Saturday morning trip to the dealership and try to marshall some personal forces in your corner.

My dad used to tell me I'd catch more fly's with honey than fly paper.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
OK lets be realistic here, 1st of all, a "DUCATI" dealership should be equiped with enough parts to expect the unexpected. Yes they determined what the problem was with in 4 days thats great but when they tell the customer its going to take 6 to 8 weeks? thats a bit of a kick in the cojones. I worked as a tech at a Honda motorcycle dealership and they even had crated engines in stock for that same purpose and if they didnt have the parts they would overnight them. A happy customer will tell 5 and 10 but a PISSED OFF customer will tell the entire world. And as far as draging a paying customers bike of the lift to for the OP? im sure they have more than ONE lift, and BTW The OP is a paying customer too!!!!
So you think that being realistic means what? Every Ducati dealer should keep 1..2..3.. of every part of every current model bike in stock? Just to expect the unexpected? The reality is that the dealer will keep in stock the things they know they need. General maintenance items, wear and tear items, items commonly affected by TSB's, etc. For those out of the normal situations, they can move parts back and forth between dealers in different states to get the customer back on the road.

Do we know for sure thats what they told the OP (6-8 weeks)? Or did he just make an assumption?

So you dont think that a 4 day tear down turnaround is sufficient? Should they have kept a tech on for overtime, to work through the night to keep OP happy?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have to agree with the OP.

I got a $25K Ducati with under 1000 miles on the clock and the engine implodes I want a new bike asap.

At the very least a NEW engine, not that old POS rebuilt....

And a loaner in the meantime.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If this was the Suzuki forum all the Ducati guys would be telling the guy just that.

eff Suzuki what a POS.

get your money back.

blah, blah

·
Registered
22 Posts
So you think that being realistic means what? Every Ducati dealer should keep 1..2..3.. of every part of every current model bike in stock? Just to expect the unexpected? The reality is that the dealer will keep in stock the things they know they need. General maintenance items, wear and tear items, items commonly affected by TSB's, etc. For those out of the normal situations, they can move parts back and forth between dealers in different states to get the customer back on the road.

Do we know for sure thats what they told the OP (6-8 weeks)? Or did he just make an assumption?

So you dont think that a 4 day tear down turnaround is sufficient? Should they have kept a tech on for overtime, to work through the night to keep OP happy?
WOW cool off Jersey Boy... lol

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
So- you run out of shit to mindlessly throw on the interwebs, and resort to assuming you know anything about me, and attempting to attack me personally?

Keepin' it classy..

·
Registered
22 Posts
So- you run out of shit to mindlessly throw on the interwebs, and resort to assuming you know anything about me, and attempting to attack me personally?

Keepin' it classy..
OH I am keeping it classy... :violin: The bottom line is the OP came here to get positive remarks not for people to make him feel worse than what he already is. I know where he is coming from. If im going to spend my hard earned money I expect to get what I pay for. This is a DUCATI not a jap bike, is like the Ferrari of bikes and when you spend 25k on a bike you expect nothing less than PERFECT including the Fast service and performance . I know because when I take my 911 to the Dealership I get treated like a king.... WHY? Because I bought a PORSCHE not a Kia.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Right... you keep thinking that. People like you that buy things solely as a status symbol, then think you are entitled to some sort of special treatment because of said purchases make me lol...

There are people on this forum with more money than they know what to do with- but they dont try to feel superior by stuffing it in the faces of others- or attempt to use their purchases to justify their ridiculous posts.

According to your train of thought, the money you spend equates the type of service you should expect to receive.

And OP came here specifically to slander the name of the dealer he bought the bike from. Nothing more. He signs up to make this post, includes the name of the dealer, etc. He came here hoping to find some other person who has a similar story to use as ammunition next time he calls the dealer.

And FYI- Kia has a mandatory loaner program.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have to agree with the OP.

I got a $25K Ducati with under 1000 miles on the clock and the engine implodes I want a new bike asap.

At the very least a NEW engine, not that old POS rebuilt....

And a loaner in the meantime.
I guess it's a matter of perspective and the forest for the trees. I think for some faced with this dilemma there is a clearly defined journey. It's point "A" ( the moment of failure) to point "B" getting a running bike back under foot. Some chose to go the shortest distance between two points which of course is a straight line. Some seem compelled to insert a component of punishment between those two points. Demands for things that simply are not expressed warranty remedies always, always makes the distance between those two point more difficult and contentious.

The new lemon laws here in the States are really aggressive and if in fact the OP has a lemon it will (without doubt) be replaced. As far as demanding a new engine I suspect Ducati would comply but I'm guessing the waiting time for a stop down at the factory and shipment to the States would be beyond unbearable. We're clearly not taking about a month or two for a brand new in the box Diavel engine.

In the end mechanical things break down, sometimes catastrophically. That is a law of the Universe. It doesn't matter if it cost $10.00 or $25,000.00. It SUCKS for the OP. I get it. As I said however how he (or she) handles it from point "a" will in fact determine how he gets to point "b".

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
^Joseph, lemon laws vary by the state you reside in. As tough as they are, most do not cover motorcycles.

When my 1198 blew up last year I looked into going LL. But couldnt.
In the end, dealer rebuilt my motor (out of warranty), and Ducati paid the billed. On a used bike that was out of warranty, and has done trackdays.

How you handle a situation determines the output, not how much money you spend on the product.

The only reason that bike would get a new motor is if it made sense mathematically for the dealer. If enough parts in existing motor got thrashed, and labor was exorbitant enough, then the manufacturer would put a new motor in. But if it is more cost effective to rebuild the existing motor, then thats what they would do.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
All I know is that whenever I took my bike in for a warrantee issue, my dealer gave me a demo bike to keep me going until I got mine back. And this dealer was not in the USA...

1 - 20 of 200 Posts