Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preparing for my first Ducati belt change and planning to check and possibly adjust the valves at the same time. I have a 2002 998 with 15,xxx miles and I have heard conflicting reports on difficulty for checking and adjusting the valves. I am mechanically apt and not afraid to jump into a project. When I bought the belts and valve cover gaskets at the local dealership, they gave me a very stern warning, quoting a six hour job for a Ducati master tech. I can take my time to get things right and I would rather learn to do the work myself. Quoted at the dealer as an $1100 base price job and then up from there depending on what they find. Has anyone's else done a valve adjust on a testastretta? I do have the factory workshop manual.
Thanks!

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Its a piece of cake really. The only two issues are making clear marks from the cam pulley to the cases at TDC horizontal cylinder (where the dot lines up with the line on the layshaft). Then after belts are replaced, using a mobile device like an iPhone with a music tuning app, which will allow you to pluck the belt between the mobile roller and the lay shaft and pickup 110hz frequency on the mobile device.

There are literally hundreds of threads on how to do this. Just read through them, watch the video's on youtube as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts