Ducati.org forum banner

Testing Cooling Fan

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  totoydavao 
#1 ·
Hi,

I was in traffic the other day on my Ducati Hypermotard 821 2014 model (water cooled) and it reached a temperature of 107°C (224°F).

Usually it hits a maximum of 104°C (219°F) and then I believe the electric fan starts operating.

What's the best way to test to see if the fan is operating correctly? Is there another electrical point or sensor worth testing as well?

Has anyone done a "How To" on this before?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Hey Moto, you can test the fan by disconnecting it and running wires directly from the positive and negative terminals on your battery (or an external one). Don't worry about getting them backwards, it'll just spin in 'reverse' if you do that.

If the fan does not spin/turn, you might have a bad fan motor, but there are a lot of other possibilities!

I have a video that's coming out real soon on this topic that shows how to troubleshoot this issue. Did your Hyper generate an error code/amber warning light? Did you check to see if the fan blades are obstructed in anyway?

As a side note, the fans on my 848 kick on at exactly 217 degrees F, but your Hyper might be different.

I will PM you with an 'advanced' link to my troubleshooting video, which might be helpful...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.