Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The April 2015 Ducati of the Month Contest winner is none other than Gunny Fitz with this awesome shot! Congratulations!

Thanks to everyone who participated and submitted a photo and to all those who voted! We'll do this again in a couple of weeks so stay tuned!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Thanks To All Members!

BTW- I believe someone got the mystery "Location Question" correct on the submission thread about where this pic was taken.
Fellow Ducati rider John Porter, who is also a photographer, took many shots on a sweltering day in Old Town Alexandria, VA.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Gunny, do you live in Alexandria? I'm rarely home, but I know I've never seen that beautiful bike around! If you do, drop me a line, I'm always looking to go for a ride

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Thank you Enzoso- and all others.
Seems to be a little drama involving this whole thing. Part of it being "somewhat" correct, and alot of it being s bit too personal in nature - which I wont get into within the public forum to appear, well- you know what I mean. Truthfully I am actually a bit upset over the way things ended up with others but again, will reserve comments and not continue to keep this issue going on and on. Sorry.

Right now I reside in the Fairfax area LGT, and a Ducati owning friend, John Porter was the one responsible for the photographs as his shop is actually located in Old Town. I wasn't aware that any submissions for Bike Of The Month needed to be taken by the individual owners themselves?

Thanks again fellow members!

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Not sure if the shots have to be taken by the owner, as all on-track shots that have been submitted over the past year+ are obviously taken by someone else.

Very sad if what's been said about the voting is true. :-/

Anywho, great looking bike and awesome overall shot, Gunny!

-Christian

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well done Gunny Gunny...!!

No problem with fellow contestants canvassing for votes.....I private messaged a number of people (who I've never met) asking for votes.....I don't think there is anything wrong with that....!!

The right picture won the contest. (even though it was taken by a pro..!!)

Well done chap enjoy the $$$ at Amazon..!!

Rico.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Great shot of a great bike and a deserved winner.

Here's my take on things. FYI I'm a professional photographer for Ducati.

The rules state that to enter the competition you must be the owner of the bike. So You can enter my image of your bike, I can't enter my image of your bike. That's cool but it will soon kill the competition.
There is simply not an active enough pool of members here to make that work in the long term. You will have the same 10 members submitting the same 10 bikes with different pictures.

The competition was supposed to judge the content. It's become a popularity contest with no thought to the merit of the shot.

The whole thing needs a rethink I suggest that it is opened to pictures you have taken of a Ducati or pictures that have been taken of your Ducati and to ensure fairness no pictures older than a couple of years. This ensures new content. All pictures submitted should be accompanied with info of where, what, and equipment if possible.

I know a bit about photo comps. You may take this with a pinch of salt of course.

edit:// forgot that I have refused all use of my images for this competition. I strongly object to the tagging of images with the forum logo. It's taking ownership of an image for which no rights have been transferred.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Man...leave it to you guys to take a simple, fun celebration of our bikes and turn it into a political football, complete with allegations of subterfuge and theft of intellectual property. SMH......

This is supposed to be fun. Period.

Sorry man, I thought I was offering sound opinion on how to help this continue. It can't continue as it is, you don't have enough active members with enough bikes.

I truly have no axe to grind on this issue. I just believe that there must be a change at some point and I hope that my comments can be considered if that time comes.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I'd also like to add, without editing ( so I can't be accused of flip-flopping) That I have just re-read Neil's post and the suggestion about intellectual property theft was clearly aimed at me, So to address that. I made no such allegation. I merely claimed that tagging another person's image is taking ownership of it. that's a legal definition, I know because I have had to fight this issue in order to get paid.
I make no allegation. I state it for what it is. I'll give you my images all day and will let you tag them, I probably would never consider remuneration if there is no financial objective in the use. It just has to be agreed in advance and simply slapping a tag on an image that is not yours is claiming ownership and not legal. It does not matter if you don't like or accept that, it is what it is. And before the minds get whirling, even changing the T&C of the site to make claims on images posted won't make a difference. Image rights belong to the person who took the image in perpetuity unless that person chooses to transfer those rights. There does not need to be a fee involved, there must be an agreement.
Sorry if that makes me sound like a dick but this is how I make my money. It's difficult already without people just thinking images are free to use and manipulate for their own use, often to financial gain. Please forgive me if I take a stand on this issue.

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
I actually like the idea of it being members only with their bikes. It's less diluted and keeps it relevant to the community. Professional or amateurs a good shot is a good shot. Gunny didn't get my vote this TIME (he has in the past), so it's not always a popularity contest. Open it up to anyone's Ducati turns into a pissing contest.

And wera I hate generalizations!!!

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I actually like the idea of it being members only with their bikes. It's less diluted and keeps it relevant to the community. Professional or amateurs a good shot is a good shot. Gunny didn't get my vote this TIME (he has in the past), so it's not always a popularity contest. Open it up to anyone's Ducati turns into a pissing contest.

And wera I hate generalizations!!!
I agree. I think the contest is working perfectly well so far, there have been quite a few different winners (I believe only 1 or 2 have won more than once...hence the 3-month rule too). Can't speak for everyone else, but I don't think it's really a popularity contest...however each person can judge differently based on what they like more. It doesn't say anywhere that one should vote for the content of the picture (most modified bike, most expensive bike, coolest bike overall, best background), nor the quality of the picture (professional looking, or taken with a flip phone), nor be it an action shot (in which case clearly you can't take the picture yourself if you're the one on the bike!!). Therefore, everyone is somewhat biased to one of those categories. Personally, I know what I'm more attracted towards when I see these pictures submitted by members, and I can tell you it's definitely not the quality or artistic nature of the picture, but that's just me.

Some people tend to over-think this contest...just vote for the picture you like best, for whatever that reason may be, and leave it at that.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I agree. I think the contest is working perfectly well so far, there have been quite a few different winners (I believe only 1 or 2 have won more than once...hence the 3-month rule too). Can't speak for everyone else, but I don't think it's really a popularity contest...however each person can judge differently based on what they like more. It doesn't say anywhere that one should vote for the content of the picture (most modified bike, most expensive bike, coolest bike overall, best background), nor the quality of the picture (professional looking, or taken with a flip phone), nor be it an action shot (in which case clearly you can't take the picture yourself if you're the one on the bike!!). Therefore, everyone is somewhat biased to one of those categories. Personally, I know what I'm more attracted towards when I see these pictures submitted by members, and I can tell you it's definitely not the quality or artistic nature of the picture, but that's just me.

Some people tend to over-think this contest...just vote for the picture you like best, for whatever that reason may be, and leave it at that.
Some people just love drama . I agree with all of what you said .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts