Ducati.org forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Gee ; and here I thought I was having fun all these years.
Guess I'll just have to resort to my 2016 Panigale R. Or is it not so good either ?
Great bikes but require a descent set up in fact the window is quite small to get it spot on . Lacked the torque of the earlier bikes like your 1098 R but loved to rev .
No bike is good out the box they all require a bit of work especially a Ducati

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'll add my vote for the 1098 series, but then you knew I'd say that! Yes, various significant models that could be argued to be the 'game-changer' Ducati superbikes - bevel 900SS, 851, 916, 1098 and several after up to the V4, but the 1098 (and 848) was kind of the last one with the flavour of those previous models, with serious horsepower, but before the level of electronics stepped up. The last 'unassisted' one perhaps.
Anyway I still love mine, and it has been a splendid part of my life for 94,000 kms now, and still running great. I reckon the big twins make a great road machine. Raw, lightweight and intuitive to ride.
But then you could say that about most Ducatis.

😊
The last "unassisted " is a great point . Most likely one of the last super bikes that could be ridden in it's pure form current bikes really need electronics to keep them ridden fast .

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Why are you being such a jerk about this ??? I've been riding for 55 years now, and something around half a million miles. I don't think "Starbucks" will be a problem.
Standard issue comment when they have fuck all else to say usually followed up by calling someone a snowflake or some crap like that .

·
Registered
78 Posts
Why are you being such a jerk about this ??? I've been riding for 55 years now, and something around half a million miles. I don't think "Starbucks" will be a problem.
People like YOU are why I rarely post on forums and especially Ducati forums. I stated my opinion and you had to post an a-hole response. Re-read the thread then reflect on it. Never met another Ducati person WITHOUT an attitude unless they were pro riders paid to ride a Ducati.

Btw, I've owned since new and still own a 999R, a 1098R, several other Ducati's including a V4 and 13 other bikes, started racing in the 60's as a youth, still do track days and ride daily on the tightest roads in the Santa Monica Mnts wearing the sides off my tires every two weeks. I thought maybe someone might want to consider an opinion from someone with a wee bit of experience of what works well.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
People like YOU are why I rarely post on forums and especially Ducati forums. I stated my opinion and you had to post an a-hole response. Re-read the thread then reflect on it. Never met another Ducati person WITHOUT an attitude unless they were pro riders paid to ride a Ducati.

Btw, I've owned since new and still own a 999R, a 1098R, several other Ducati's including a V4 and 13 other bikes, started racing in the 60's as a youth, still do track days and ride daily on the tightest roads in the Santa Monica Mnts wearing the sides off my tires every two weeks. I thought maybe someone might want to consider an opinion from someone with a wee bit of experience of what works well.
I would never take advice from anyone who tells someone on the internet they wear the sides off their tyres every two weeks . Sounds like you know the term Squid well

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'll add my vote for the 1098 series, but then you knew I'd say that! Yes, various significant models that could be argued to be the 'game-changer' Ducati superbikes - bevel 900SS, 851, 916, 1098 and several after up to the V4, but the 1098 (and 848) was kind of the last one with the flavour of those previous models, with serious horsepower, but before the level of electronics stepped up. The last 'unassisted' one perhaps.
Anyway I still love mine, and it has been a splendid part of my life for 94,000 kms now, and still running great. I reckon the big twins make a great road machine. Raw, lightweight and intuitive to ride.

😊
Yeah ; I "knew you would say that" ! (y)
I hear you. I have a few bikes that are loaded with "electronics", and it's fun to jump on the 1098, knowing that your "well-being" is REALLY all in your hands.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is obviously a hard question to answer and everyone is going to have their opinion. Also, the question is what's the best "superbike model," and not what's the best superbike generation, which also complicates the question. So I figure there is going to be a debate no matter what.

There are so many exceptional superbike models that there are a whole bunch of valid opinions. Certainly some of the bikes mentioned - the 1098R, 1199SL, the D16RR (technically not a superbike but I get why it's here) - are amazing bikes but I think that the 996R might be the best of them all. It's a really special bike. The handle and balance are superb and that excellent chassis is paired with an incredibly suitable deep sump sand cast testastretta motor (the first). Add in the carbon fairings and belly pan and you have a formula for a bike that has really stood the test of time. That's before you take into account its considerable domination in WSBK and other SBK series.

·
Registered
58 Posts

“Unassisted” Spot on, Brother!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
This is obviously a hard question to answer and everyone is going to have their opinion. Also, the question is what's the best "superbike model," and not what's the best superbike generation, which also complicates the question. So I figure there is going to be a debate no matter what.

There are so many exceptional superbike models that there are a whole bunch of valid opinions. Certainly some of the bikes mentioned - the 1098R, 1199SL, the D16RR (technically not a superbike but I get why it's here) - are amazing bikes but I think that the 996R might be the best of them all. It's a really special bike. The handle and balance are superb and that excellent chassis is paired with an incredibly suitable deep sump sand cast testastretta motor (the first). Add in the carbon fairings and belly pan and you have a formula for a bike that has really stood the test of time. That's before you take into account its considerable domination in WSBK and other SBK series.
Yes Generation is really what I should have asked .

21 - 40 of 53 Posts