Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say other than modding your bike. What kind of costs do you guys incur during an entire season?

Tires, race/track fees, transportation, hotel stays, etc...

I've always heard it's really expensive to race, but never had any input on what "expensive" means.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
There are two types of racers out there.

1) Ride for fun
2) Ride to win

You start riding for fun and the costs are actually pretty constant because if you aren't running in the font of the expert races, expenses are a lot lower. Basic things like tires, brakes, chain's, they all last a lot longer. You hear stories of people burning through a rear tire in 2, 8 lap races and you're like "my tires last me a month" but that's all due to speed.

When you start riding to win, the costs go up exponentially. However, if you DO win and you ARE a "successful" racer, the costs drop to almost nothing due to something called contingency. It's like racing for money and if you win the race, you don't have to pay for next month's racing. All racing in So Cal (outside of WERA) has good contingency for top 3 finishers in the expert classes.

As a beginner getting into racing, the cost breakdown for equipment looks like this (assuming you're starting from scratch)

- Front/rear stands $350
- Tire warmers $350
- Tool Kit $250
- Generator w/cables $800
- Pop up canopy which will take wind $300
- Decent pressure gauge $100
- AMB transponder $150
- GPS laptimer $300
- 1 piece leather race suit $1200
- Decent leather gloves $350
- Decent high quality boots $450
- Decent full-face race helmet $600
- Novice racing school $150
- License cost $120

As a beginner, you will need to start in the novice classes and work your way up. Most novices only run one or two races per day, it's a lot more expensive to run anymore. Here are CVMA's numbers, so you can get an idea on pricing of local events.

- Saturday single race only w/practice $100
- Saturday and sunday single race only w/practice $150
- Pre-register additional race $50 (both sat/sun)

So if you raced both sat and sun, it would be $200 bux for 4 races and 6 practice sessions. Not a bad deal…

Tire budget is the most expensive part of roadracing because it's the one thing we all need to compete. Each manufacturer produces both a DOT (cut/grooved) and slick (not-cut) tire for every kind of dry condition. Today's DOT's are pretty much slick tires with grooves, so if you can save by buying a DOT, more power to you.

As a beginner at CVMA, you will probably run ONE set of tires per day. Chuckwalla does eat tires due to the heat and pavement type. Most people burn through one rear tire every other race and change fronts between days.

DOT race tires range from $350 - $500 per set
Slick's run between $350 - $650 per set

Tire vendors are at the track to assist you. All you need to do is show up and walk to each vendor, in order to discover who has the best deals. ALL of them have beginner deals because they want newbies to run THEIR tires forever, so every one of them will "hook you up". Just a side-note, Dunlop 212 is currently the best tire to have in So Cal. It can deal with the heat of CVMA and Willow Springs, without loosing too much grip, something you don't get with Pirelli or Bridgestone, both of which get chewed up. Michelin isn't heavily represented here in So Cal. You'll see them at some race events, but Bridgestone, Pirelli and Dunlop are at EVERY event.

My typical weekends look like this:

- $300 admission (practice and 4 races per day)
- $750 tires (one front, two rears)
- $100 gas (getting to track and back)
- $50 race fuel
- 150 expendables/maintenance (oil change/filters, etc)

- $1350 per weekend, excluding accommodations.

In contrast, as an expert podium finisher, contingency will bring down your weekend nut to about $250 bux, excluding accommodations. That $250 is literally gas money and expendables/maintenance.

If you meet the right people, you can probably stay at the track for free. There are no hotels near CVMA, but most of the other tracks have them and the prices range from $50 - $150 per night.

So, now you understand the cost analysis. You can go the route I did and get everything used to get you started, which will save thousands. You can also start by doing one race per day and spend the rest of the time making new friends in the paddock and potentially getting some help. There are many ways to reduce cost, but in the long run that cost will increase as you get better no matter what. Speed increases can lead to crashes and increased tire use, which all come out of your pocket. The key is to take your time and spend your money practicing, rather then racing. Take a riding school outside of racing and really hone your skills away from the stress of racing. This way, when you race, the only thing you need to focus on is when that flat drops, getting a good start and disappearing. Thats when all the hard work you put prior to the race, pays off.

Racing is fun, racing is addicting, racing is dangerous and if you do it right, it can be VERY rewarding.

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

And then there is our kind of racin.

Membership $65.00
Entry fee/per weekend incl Friday practice $355.00
Gate fee electrical hookup $65.00 (weekend)
Stay in Trailer eat @ track 00.00
Race tires (1 new set/weekend) $400.00
Gas 10/15 gal. pump gas Sunoco 100% 93 $50.00
Mylaps Transponder Rental $85.00/yr
already got a bike? already got gear? Got pit equipment yes, yes, and yes. 00.00
Travel to race in truck and trailer? (see travel&entertain)

I usually budget $1000.00 for entertainment and travel as I live equidistant to most of my races, except Barber which is closer. Also depends on how much party hardy goes down, and perhaps one meal out with Frenz.....
Loads of fun with gr8 folks....Free...just sayin....:):

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Will you be racing at just one track like tooned or expanding your options to other tracks .
If I just raced at a local meeting I would spend about $1200 if I was doing a National round you would double it .
Talent does not cost money I have seen many race winners on the same budget as everyone else .

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
[QU, OTE=W17;788..996]Wi. ll y.ou be. rac...
ingaat j localust one track like tooned or expanding your options to other tracks .
If I just raced at a local meeting I would spend about $1200 if I was doing a National round you would double it .
Talent does not cost money I have seen many race winners on the same budget as everyone else .[/QUOTE]

true that... I was referencing a National Series Race, Ga. La.
Wisc. Mich. NJ. Ala. Fl...... no local tracks.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will you be racing at just one track like tooned or expanding your options to other tracks .
Talent does not cost money I have seen many race winners on the same budget as everyone else .
More than likely it would just be the CA tracks. I just need a new hobby. I'm tired of getting schooled by these 20 year olds on the basketball courts lol

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
More than likely it would just be the CA tracks. I just need a new hobby. I'm tired of getting schooled by these 20 year olds on the basketball courts lol
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

They are on the track racing motorcycles too!! Some even much younger...I remember Jake Lewis blowing my grips off, on numerous trackdays...He was. 15 at the time. Then there was Garrett Gerloff..and then there was.... you know how it goes...just sayin...

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
If that is the motivation you probably should stick with basketball...as Rob mentioned...in racing you get usually schooled by 15 years old...or the other end...50+...haven't really figured out which of the two sucks worse... :laughing:

But yeah...tracking and/or racing motorcycles is certainly not the cheapest of hobbies one can have...but then again...you only live once...despite what other people say...

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
At least with basketball you can blame it on your being out of shape...but on the track, when you get passed by a 60 year old on a ninja 300...there's no excuses there, only that YOU suck, and he is just that much better! LOL

Just do 1 track day first, and then your realistic expectations will all of a sudden drop very drastically :D

Not sure what Tye has all mentioned, because I can't be bothered to read a novel right now, but racing can really be as expensive as you make it, depending how serious about it you are. I have friends that have raced in multiple series, around the eastern half of the US (mostly midwest) and did somewhere around 50-60 races this season (different classes too because they have more than 1 race bike)...but on the other hand I also have friends who only do a few races, at maybe a couple of events in a year just for fun, simply to add a bit of "spice" and competition every now and then in between track days. Some of the smaller organizations are doing both track days and racing all in the same days, and it's basically a track day with a few races scheduling during the lunch break and/or at the end of the day. Those aren't licensed series, and usually don't win anything aside from a plastic trophy but it's fun, cheap (can be as low as $20/race), you pretty much know everyone if you're a regular, and you don't require a license.

Bob gave a pretty nice breakdown of costs. Of course things may vary depending on where you're at, and where you're going, but most importantly how many races you do in a day or weekend. I know with CCS, the first race is like 70-80 bucks, and after that it's 50 each. So if you only do like 2-3, it may be about the same as a track day or cheaper, but if you do like 10 races in a weekend (and some people do)....well then, do the math. It can get to be a pretty expensive weekend.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If that is the motivation you probably should stick with basketball...as Rob mentioned...in racing you get usually schooled by 15 years old...or the other end...50+...haven't really figured out which of the two sucks worse... :laughing:

But yeah...tracking and/or racing motorcycles is certainly not the cheapest of hobbies one can have...but then again...you only live once...despite what other people say...

Hey, I'm not too proud to get beat lol After watching Marc Marquez basically destroy Lorenzo, Rossi, Pedrosa and the rest, looks to me like no one is invincible. At least with a helmet on, I don't have to hear them talking trash LOL

At least with basketball you can blame it on your being out of shape...but on the track, when you get passed by a 60 year old on a ninja 300...there's no excuses there, only that YOU suck, and he is just that much better! LOL

Just do 1 track day first, and then your realistic expectations will all of a sudden drop very drastically :D

Not sure what Tye has all mentioned, because I can't be bothered to read a novel right now, but racing can really be as expensive as you make it, depending how serious about it you are. I have friends that have raced in multiple series, around the eastern half of the US (mostly midwest) and did somewhere around 50-60 races this season (different classes too because they have more than 1 race bike)...but on the other hand I also have friends who only do a few races, at maybe a couple of events in a year just for fun, simply to add a bit of "spice" and competition every now and then in between track days. Some of the smaller organizations are doing both track days and racing all in the same days, and it's basically a track day with a few races scheduling during the lunch break and/or at the end of the day. Those aren't licensed series, and usually don't win anything aside from a plastic trophy but it's fun, cheap (can be as low as $20/race), you pretty much know everyone if you're a regular, and you don't require a license.

Bob gave a pretty nice breakdown of costs. Of course things may vary depending on where you're at, and where you're going, but most importantly how many races you do in a day or weekend. I know with CCS, the first race is like 70-80 bucks, and after that it's 50 each. So if you only do like 2-3, it may be about the same as a track day or cheaper, but if you do like 10 races in a weekend (and some people do)....well then, do the math. It can get to be a pretty expensive weekend.
Definitely need some seat time on a track before getting out there to race. Just wanted to see what I can look forward to :D

I see that a lot of you guys race and it just gives me a bit of inspiration.

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
Definitely need some seat time on a track before getting out there to race. Just wanted to see what I can look forward to :D

I see that a lot of you guys race and it just gives me a bit of inspiration.
Steven.. thanks for that post, may I suggest taking a "Race School", similar to the track school that Ed Bargy, or Jason Disalvo provide. I know you are in Ca. but I am sure there are such schools available. If you like what you experience, then try an AHRMA Friday rider school, if you pass the school, you can practice and race on Sat. and Sun. AHRMA has two Events in Ca in April/May....

Ed Bargy Race School
Jason Disalvo Speed Academy
www. AHRMA.org

Listed for information purposes only!!! No Spam..
...just sayin...::):

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
^^^BTW.... I am more of a supporter of supervised track schools before hitting the track days events, even though some combine beginner school instruction. In my view, there is nothing better than a couple of 2/3 day rider/race schools to prepare you for hitting the track and giving you the knowledge to safely go faster, for you, and most important, others on the track @ the same time! ::):

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Definitely need some seat time on a track before getting out there to race. Just wanted to see what I can look forward to
It's a three step process:

First, out here in California we have the Keith Code Superbike school up at Willow Springs. It's a great way to start and even though it's a tad bit expensive, they will teach you how to ride a motorcycle properly on the track. It will un-do all those years of incorrect street riding, something every one of us struggles with.

Second, once you have some good understandings of the basics, local track day org's like Trackxperience and Fast Track riders (at Fontana) have excellent new rider schools, where someone will follow you around for the entire day and give you feedback for FREE! If you go to enough events and get to know the coaches, they will absolutely let you know when you're ready to race. Since Trackxperience and Fast Track riders, both provide feeder track days for local race events, you can attend one of those WITH racers practicing and see how you feel.

Third, local racing organizations like CVMA have a new racers school which is a requirement. It's usually an all-day course with a mock race, which teaches you the basics of how to launch and of course all of the racing rules. They also discuss lap times and how to achieve a better lap on whatever track you're riding. If you pass, you earn a novice racing license, which will allow you to race in novice class without taking any more courses. You will earn an expert license through hard work and decent results. They don't push people into expert races unless they're fully ready, which is good.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I've heard good things about CSS...but I believe you already had a thread about that, and you were planning on doing it?? Or maybe I'm thinking of the wrong person, I don't know...I get all these white 848's mixed up a lot :p

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've heard good things about CSS...but I believe you already had a thread about that, and you were planning on doing it?? Or maybe I'm thinking of the wrong person, I don't know...I get all these white 848's mixed up a lot :p
LOL Yep.. That was my thread. I will be signing up for it soon; just need to make sure all my money is right first (It's $675 w/bike rental). Not sure I should rent a bike though for Level 1. I feel like all the riding will be really slow paced, getting familiar with the track and the classroom sessions. Without the bike rental it goes down to $390 which is do-able. Opinions?

It will either be late March, or mid April, so not too far from now. I'll probably sign on for a track day or two after that and the Level 2 sometime in late summer.

Just hoping I get a nice bonus at the job.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
How far away is it? If it was me, I'd rent a bike...but that's because I live like 1500+ miles away and it's cheaper to rent one than to haul mine over there :D

If you're pretty close, and have the ability to take your own bike, then I would definitely do that. You'll feel more comfortable on your own bike than on a bike you've never ridden before...let alone if it's an S1000RR, which I've heard is what they use.

Is that just 1 day or 2 days?

Reactions: WERA689

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
- BMW S1000RR
- LA is 1hr 15min from Streets of Willow where CCS teaches
- Riding your own bike is muy beuno
- CCS generally charges a lot more money for 2 day weekend courses (includes bike rental), it's a lot cheaper to go during the week and start at level one riding your own bike.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How far away is it? If it was me, I'd rent a bike...but that's because I live like 1500+ miles away and it's cheaper to rent one than to haul mine over there :D

If you're pretty close, and have the ability to take your own bike, then I would definitely do that. You'll feel more comfortable on your own bike than on a bike you've never ridden before...let alone if it's an S1000RR, which I've heard is what they use.

Is that just 1 day or 2 days?
It's just the 1 day class. The 2 days are almost $2,500!!

Yeah, it's fairly close to me. Just about an hour away.

Yup, they use the S1000RR. I heard it was a great bike but if I can save $200 then all the better.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.