Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short Story

So, after a recent promotion at work, putting money towards retirement, kids college funds, extra accident and long term disability insurance... and every other monthly expense of owning a home, I've committed myself to start putting money away towards an 899. I thought keeping track of my savings on this forum, will motivate me even more to stay committed to putting money into an account every month. I'm hoping that this savings along with next years tax return will get me what I need to pick up a used 14/15 899.

Longer Story

Im 35 and from NJ. I've had 2 r6's and an 848 in my past. Each bike was sold to fund priorities in my life. With that being said, I just cant stop thinking about motorcycles. I find myself, always, watching youtube videos of Ducati reviews, test rides etc... Not to mention all of the TT videos that my 4 year old son and I watch together. I've always put buying a motorcycle on the bottom of my list because it just isnt the smartest financial decision for a happily married guy with two young kids to support. It is a pure luxury for me to have a bike.

I dont have friends that have bikes, and I VERY rarely ever rode in any groups. My riding style is very consistent for my life (married with kids). I used to take my 848 out, maybe, once a weekend for about an hour or so. No knee dragging or crazy speeds. I just took her out on some back roads to enjoy everything that is Ducati. I can honestly tell you that I spent more time wash/wax change fluids etc... on my 848 than I actually did riding it. But that's what I love about Ducati's. I love the way they look and the satisfaction I used to get performing maintenance on it.

So, knowing that my finances are in order, it is time, once again, to start saving for another Ducati. I plan to post frequently about monthly deposits I'll be making into my account in hopes that next year I'll be able to get my 899. Please comment, leave suggestions or whatever. I would love to hear from married guys with kids, because this has always been my reason for not keeping a bike around too long.

Today I dumped $500

·
Court Jester
12,112 Posts
Short Story

So, after a recent promotion at work, putting money towards retirement, kids college funds, extra accident and long term disability insurance... and every other monthly expense of owning a home, I've committed myself to start putting money away towards an 899. I thought keeping track of my savings on this forum, will motivate me even more to stay committed to putting money into an account every month. I'm hoping that this savings along with next years tax return will get me what I need to pick up a used 14/15 899.

Longer Story

Im 35 and from NJ. I've had 2 r6's and an 848 in my past. Each bike was sold to fund priorities in my life. With that being said, I just cant stop thinking about motorcycles. I find myself, always, watching youtube videos of Ducati reviews, test rides etc... Not to mention all of the TT videos that my 4 year old son and I watch together. I've always put buying a motorcycle on the bottom of my list because it just isnt the smartest financial decision for a happily married guy with two young kids to support. It is a pure luxury for me to have a bike.

I dont have friends that have bikes, and I VERY rarely ever rode in any groups. My riding style is very consistent for my life (married with kids). I used to take my 848 out, maybe, once a weekend for about an hour or so. No knee dragging or crazy speeds. I just took her out on some back roads to enjoy everything that is Ducati. I can honestly tell you that I spent more time wash/wax change fluids etc... on my 848 than I actually did riding it. But that's what I love about Ducati's. I love the way they look and the satisfaction I used to get performing maintenance on it.

So, knowing that my finances are in order, it is time, once again, to start saving for another Ducati. I plan to post frequently about monthly deposits I'll be making into my account in hopes that next year I'll be able to get my 899. Please comment, leave suggestions or whatever. I would love to hear from married guys with kids, because this has always been my reason for not keeping a bike around too long.

Today I dumped $500
I'm with you, but I would say that as a father (45) of 2 (just 18, and almost 16). I've not done the best I could when it come to finances. With that said the family has and always will come first. Where I disagree is you have to have something that is yours it can be anything. Most wife's get this, the bike has always been the one thing that puts me in a place that fills the void that the family didn't fill. Don't get me wrong the bike would be gone if it was an absolute must. In fact at one time I considered it, but my wife talked me out of it.

I have to say I'm impressed with your determination and will be here to cheer you along, but the "Luxury" can also be looked at as your sanity.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Nice man good to hear your getting back in the game. Just keep a steady stream of deposits. I made up a percentage Chart for my savings of my bike and took a percentage of what I made for the week and put it towards my bike. I calculated my bills and what I could afford to put away each check and it worked out perfectly. Took a while but nothing in life comes easy. I did the same thing a couple years ago for my Toyota Supra I kept saving over the course of years and I bought my car out right cash. I hate having debt over my head so I try and save for what I want over a course of time no matter how long it takes.

Granted I can't put myself totally in your shoes being single, never married and no kids but saving is saving. Good luck man and keep us updated on the progress.

but the "Luxury" can also be looked at as your sanity.
I agree when I'm having a bad day or something goes wrong I'll take my bike or car out do a couple pulls and get the adrenaline rushing and everything else goes away it's like my stress relief sometimes. 👍

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Ive got 2 kids, an ex wife, a girlfriend, 2 houses and 2 bikes.

I NEED my bikes. My girl calls it 'Motorcycle therapy'. She sees what my bikes do to me, do for me. Because im so passionate about the bikes, she loves them too.

The ex didn't give 2 shits.

Youre gonna love the 899 !

Now we know why she is your ex, smart decision :D

·
Registered
322 Posts
Good luck saving Random
I've got two kids/ 4 dogs/ house/ pool/ a job that keeps me busier than any should, and most importantly the most understanding wife ever.
I think that's the common denominator.
Wife bought me the Duc almost 3 years ago while I was gone for a few months, I sold my previous bike before youngest was born. She had watched me for years try new hobbies and differ be friend circles but she never saw me as happy as I was when on or around bikes.
I do however get a lot of complaints about the Italian whore in my garage but she gets it.
Keep her happy, your kids engaged and yourself sane. My sanity comes from duc therapy.

BTW 848 owners are the best on This forum

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Look I can't be bothered to read that novel you wrote could you write what it is your saying in three or less bullet points?:(
Haha, youre the reason for the "short" version and the "longer" version in my original post. But as previously mentioned

Im dumping some savings into an account every month to save for an 899 and thought i would keep track of my progress on the forum.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Haha, youre the reason for the "short" version and the "longer" version in my original post. But as previously mentioned

Im dumping some savings into an account every month to save for an 899 and thought i would keep track of my progress on the forum.

Short people like short versions :D

Good luck man. Still using those pitbull stands you sold me. About to do a tire change, they're awesome

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.