Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There a clack clack sound when I twist the throttle and release.

In this video, the clack sound will sound like a hiss when I start the motor.

You'll also see light smoke come out on the right side of the tank.

Clack clack from twisting throttle:

Just when I was so eager to sell. Maybe I can just sell it as is.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I have to add though, it isn't having any problems starting and running. Shifts just fine now. Earlier I mentioned in a post that it had problems rolling out of first gear. It's not at all. Just worried about this lil smoke and clack sound.

Actually, you can hear the clack clack. I just didn't hear it on my phone when I recorded it. Not a smartphone after all.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
The only odd noise I hear is when you get on the throttle, there is an exhaust leak sound. The idle is a bit low as well, that you set on the throttle bodies. Do a google search for adjusting idle via throttle body and you'll find a bunch of video's on how to do that procedure.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Tye. Like, exhaust valve leak? Or exhaust pipe leak?
I'll give the Google search a try for sure. Thanks braddah.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just did a YouTube search on exhaust leak. It's related to backfiring which means the exhaust valve.
Edit: I'm just assuming but that tells me that I didn't clean it thoroughly after all (the pistons) and is hence the cause?

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Naa I don't think so, that wouldn't cause the noise. You've probably simply got an exhaust leak somewhere. Take the fairings off, put the bike on the side stand, start it up. Get a stick you can light on fire (which generates smoke) and go over the exhaust with it to find the leak. The smoke will obviously get caught by the leak and you should see the problem right away.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Yep. Set fire to a stick and wave it around your engine and fuel injection system. See what goes up first.

What a great idea!

When he sends you a pic from the Burns Unit of the charred remains of his bike you can feel so proud of how you're forever helping people..

:confused:

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Yep. Set fire to a stick and wave it around your engine and fuel injection system. See what goes up first.

What a great idea!

When he sends you a pic from the Burns Unit of the charred remains of his bike you can feel so proud of how you're forever helping people..

:confused:
:laughing:

Welcome to the dark side Pat.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Yep - it's getting pretty crazy here at the moment.

I was away for a few days, and came back to even more madness.

Hadn't missed it much, as it turned out..

Might have to take longer breaks. Might have one imposed if I keep this up!

:D

·
Registered
410 Posts
Naa I don't think so, that wouldn't cause the noise. You've probably simply got an exhaust leak somewhere. Take the fairings off, put the bike on the side stand, start it up. Get a stick you can light on fire (which generates smoke) and go over the exhaust with it to find the leak. The smoke will obviously get caught by the leak and you should see the problem right away.
I have a similar problem. Can you send me a link to the supplier of the fire sticks please.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Incense sticks work great. I usually use a long match, light it, blow it out and start to go over things. When the smoke is gone, light it again, rinse and repeat. Its the cheapest way to determine if there is a leak without buying anything special.

·
Registered
23 Posts
can't see the video, also to discover a leak on the exhaust pipe, take it off the bike, close of one end, take out your compressor tape it airtight on the other end and blow some air into the b*tch.
Go over your exhaust with your hand and you will feel the point that is leaking.
Or leave the exhaust mounted and try but watch out when it gets hotter (also you cant reach everything) but you can exclude the places you can reach.
With the exaust on do it outside so you don't breath in al those fumes

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
took the pipes off last night and found that I'm missing the wire type gaskets between each connecting pipes.

Can't remember where I placed 'em in my garage. Might just be wise to pick up a new set from Ducati.

Not sure how I missed those when I put the bike back together.

Thanks gentlemen.

I also wanted to add. I think this site is better than most of the sites I've joined. Members seem to respect each other here and it becomes apparent that everyone's communicated with each other for quite some time.
You don't see that much in any other forums.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts