Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking about picking up a 996 that's been fully prepped (flushed/drained) and stored for 9 years now. It barely has over 1k miles on it.

Just looking for input as well as to verify that in order to get it back running it will need new:

-Belts
-Fluids
-Tires
-Battery
-Check of rubber seals and gaskets
-Service and inspection of everything else?

Seems like the owner has done everything properly to this point. I just want to be sure I know what I'm getting into before I pull the trigger.

Thanks a million Gents!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sounds like a great find.

Think you've covered most items there. I'd probably consider a new chain as its maybe suffered from lack of use. How are the front fork seals? I have an 02 748s and I'm sure they have the same front end - seals are beginning to leak a tad again due to lack of use, so maybe check them. Oh, and if the headlights are foffed up, get a bottle of meths and start clean (be very careful removing the headlight unit as they crack... easily...)

With such low milage, the internals such as rockers and shims should be fine. Rockers may be an issue in the future so make sure she's properly warmed up prior to use.

Not sure where you're based, but performance bikes (May edition) had an excellent write up and buying guide on the 996.

Best of luck

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a great find.

Think you've covered most items there. I'd probably consider a new chain as its maybe suffered from lack of use. How are the front fork seals? I have an 02 748s and I'm sure they have the same front end - seals are beginning to leak a tad again due to lack of use, so maybe check them. Oh, and if the headlights are foffed up, get a bottle of meths and start clean (be very careful removing the headlight unit as they crack... easily...)

With such low milage, the internals such as rockers and shims should be fine. Rockers may be an issue in the future so make sure she's properly warmed up prior to use.

Not sure where you're based, but performance bikes (May edition) had an excellent write up and buying guide on the 996.

Best of luck
Thanks for the reply! That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I'll try finding that buying guide online for extra reference.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If need be, I can scan and e-mail you the sections from the magazine. Probably goes against all copy write laws blah blah... all in the name of Ducati enjoyment though... ;-) Drop me a PM if you're struggling.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update on this. The bike is out of state and with so few miles I won't be able to register it here in California. Kinda bummed but have a few other bikes I'm looking at.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts