Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my cables from Lonelec today so I can hook up guzzidiag and tune ecu....my ecu wouldn't connect...that's weird tried u. Plugging the unit plugging it back in wound up giving up and moved onto something else...when I went to start my bike a couple hours later my engine light didn't turn off and it says THIS (see below)... I searched online and I'm guessing I fried my ECU ground SOMEHOW! If they accidentally switched the positive and negative cables from the factory imma be pissed. Someone please give me good news

Attachments

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Connected a wire to the diagnostic port ground to the bikes battery ground terminal. The codes and engine light go away but doesn't start

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
There are some write ups with jpdiag on frying the Ecu. Search for it they discuss confirming and some possible work arounds.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are some write ups with jpdiag on frying the Ecu. Search for it they discuss confirming and some possible work arounds.
I read em but I'm EXTREMELY skeptical about keeping the main ecu ground "jumped" to the diagnostic ground. That wire is like only 18gauge wire. Would anyone really trust that? Or should i source a used DP 70mm ecu?

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
I read em but I'm EXTREMELY skeptical about keeping the main ecu ground "jumped" to the diagnostic ground. That wire is like only 18gauge wire. Would anyone really trust that? Or should i source a used DP 70mm ecu?

Probably best to go with a new Ecu be it stock or aftermarket. If the Ecu is fried I doubt you will damage anything else by jumping a wire, that's what the fuses are for.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ok I jumped the wire bike has no engine light or codes. Starts rough and died. Tried resetting the TPS but I can't get gizzi, ducatidiag, jpdiag, or tune ecu to connect this sucks.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Problem is if you bad mouth her too much she's liable to spit ya off!

I've owned ducatis since the 90s and they're fickle girls..but i love em.... :p
Well I picked up an ecu it's a Boulder Motor Sports ECU for race filter, 70mm full termi kit. I called up and they said mild fuel adjustments, and other stuff to make the bike run better. I plugged it in and she started right up. Ya live and learn right :( it sucks. But I know not to fry my ecu ground again.

Now I'm scared to even attempt to connect anything to my diagnostic port and try and read anything. I know I "should" reset my TPS since I put a new ecu in but what's the harm if I don't? I don't feel comfortable doing it myself messing with the Ecu anymore so would my best bet be to bring it to the dealer for them to reset it? Or will it be OK not resetting it?

·
Registered
369 Posts
You actually know a lot about the bike already. Don't let a small mistake stop you from achieving better things!

There's a how-to over on JPDiag on making sure your OBD wire is correctly wired. If you follow that it should guarantee no more fried ecu.

It is entirely ok to ride without resetting the ECU immediately. In fact, some people, including me, observed no difference resetting the TPS after an ecu swap. So the answer to your question is it depends. If after you swapped the ecu and the bike runs rough then a TPS reset is definitely necessary.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the confidence boost Jasper! When I first started it up it stumbled for alittle bit but then it was fine. Throttle response just idling was delayed but I guess after the ecu "settled in" the response was extremely crisp! I guess I'll take it for a ride next nice day once all this damn snow and salt is off the roads. We got hit hard here in Jersey. I read the jpdiag tutorial AFTER I did things wrong the first time dumb me was too anxious. Ill try testing the cable again and see what happens. Thanks

Reactions: VJ020
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.