Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my bike (1098s) is struggling. i wa riding the other day and the bike started to smoke really bad i was about 80 miles from home and couldn't get a tow. By the time i got home the bike was spitting oil out and lost alot of power. i think i burnt my rings and the bike started to turn off when i was 5 miles away. So should i just start looking for a new motor or try and repair the one i have?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
it doesn't sound too good. i just lost a piston on my 1198 and after lots of research and whatnot i have decided to have the engine repaired. in the end it's going to cost me a bit more than a secondhand engine from ebay, but i will be getting back a blueprinted engine which should last me another 20k miles. obviously with a secondhand motor you never know what you are getting.

try googling for ducshop or fox performance engines for more information on rebuilding an engine.

good luck.

·
Court Jester
12,112 Posts
Seem's like the 848,1098,1198 series are fraught with reliability issues, especially with engines. Not a good look.

Can anyone expand on this?

Craig

This forum does not represent the vast majority of bikes in the road. But I am on my 3rd engine 😕. If we abuse the rev limiter it's only a matter of time.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I have an 1198 streetbike that I kinda baby.....4k miles

My 848 I race and it pretty much lives on the redline....I fully anticipate needing either an engine rebuild or replacement. It's got 15k miles on it....

·
Registered
496 Posts
it doesn't sound too good. i just lost a piston on my 1198 and after lots of research and whatnot i have decided to have the engine repaired. in the end it's going to cost me a bit more than a secondhand engine from ebay, but i will be getting back a blueprinted engine which should last me another 20k miles. obviously with a secondhand motor you never know what you are getting.

try googling for ducshop or fox performance engines for more information on rebuilding an engine.

good luck.

Are you racing your bike?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
^ No I don't race my bike. I lost a piston due to a water pump seal failure. All the coolant ended up in the oil which caused a bearing to fail, which in turn cased the piston to crack. Apart from that the engine has been fine for 27k miles. If I knew then what I know now I would have rebuilt the engine immediately after the water leak.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Seem's like the 848,1098,1198 series are fraught with reliability issues, especially with engines. Not a good look.

Can anyone expand on this?

Craig
Based on the fact that a lot more 848/1X98 series were sold than previous generations AND a lot people ask how much oil they should put in their bikes on here.....that may explain your observation.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
The 848/1098s are more likely to fail than the 1198s because of the crappier bearings they used in them. The 1198s are a bit more reliable. I agree with most people on here...buying 2nd hand might cost you a bit less if you get the right deal but you never know what you're going to get. As long as your engine can be fixed and blueprinted for not much more money, that's absolutely the best way to go. But make sure whoever works on it knows what they're doing.

·
Court Jester
12,112 Posts
The 848/1098s are more likely to fail than the 1198s because of the crappier bearings they used in them. The 1198s are a bit more reliable. I agree with most people on here...buying 2nd hand might cost you a bit less if you get the right deal but you never know what you're going to get. As long as your engine can be fixed and blueprinted for not much more money, that's absolutely the best way to go. But make sure whoever works on it knows what they're doing.
While I agree.... The cost of a blue print starts at 3k without parts.

The cost of two low mileage ebay engines is 1500 each (for the 848) 3k for both ok maybe as much as 4k

getting 15k miles out of a ebay engine that cost 1500 bucks is 500 dollars less than the first major service at a Ducati dealer...

I'm not advocating either way I agree with Dutch have someone reputable look at it.

I'm waiting to get my income tax figure out before I send my two blown engines out for a single blue print. Unlike most I don't' get a return I have to pay when I do my taxes.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Yes, blueprinting is expensive. And it's more expensive if you give the tech a destroyed engine vs one that's just worn out. But at least you know you'll have an engine that's better than it was new (if done right). With an ebay engine it's a hit and miss....maybe that's why you got yours for 1500 bucks ;) Although I think 848 engines are cheaper. I sold my 1198 one for 2500, and I had a higher offer but would've had to deal with international shipping, so I chose to sell it locally for a bit less.

Nevertheless...if buying used, it's the risk you take. You might get lucky and get one that will go for over 20k miles, or you might not be so lucky and get one that blows up after 500 miles. Either way it's a shitty deal, and both options cost a big chunk of change. Reduce the cost by increasing risk, or vice versa...to each their own.

Reactions: Tchase

·
Court Jester
12,112 Posts
Yes, blueprinting is expensive. And it's more expensive if you give the tech a destroyed engine vs one that's just worn out. But at least you know you'll have an engine that's better than it was new (if done right). With an ebay engine it's a hit and miss....maybe that's why you got yours for 1500 bucks ;) Although I think 848 engines are cheaper. I sold my 1198 one for 2500, and I had a higher offer but would've had to deal with international shipping, so I chose to sell it locally for a bit less.

Nevertheless...if buying used, it's the risk you take. You might get lucky and get one that will go for over 20k miles, or you might not be so lucky and get one that blows up after 500 miles. Either way it's a shitty deal, and both options cost a big chunk of change. Reduce the cost by increasing risk, or vice versa...to each their own.
1500 bucks and 15,000 miles was not a bad deal. The average rider spends 1000 bucks on their first valve adjustment.

had I got 1500 miles for 1500 bucks that would be different now wouldn't it....?

Both my ebay engines came with a 6 month unlimited miles warranty that's not a big risk. But you can have one blue printed and still blow it if you abuse it. And I was abusing my last one :D:(

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
1500 bucks and 15,000 miles was not a bad deal. The average rider spends 1000 bucks on their first valve adjustment.

had I got 1500 miles for 1500 bucks that would be different now wouldn't it....?

Both my ebay engines came with a 6 month unlimited miles warranty that's not a big risk. But you can have one blue printed and still blow it if you abuse it. And I was abusing my last one :D:(
I guess it depends on who you ask. Having had a Ducati, I understand the costs associated with them, but I'm not that inclined to say 1500 bucks for 15k miles is that great of a deal.

You're right that a blueprinted engine is not indestructible by any means. Race teams all know about that ;)...but if it's done right, and you're not abusing it, it should last you longer and perform better. And you might've got lucky with your ebay engines, but that's not everyone. Someone above mentioned the exact opposite. Not to rub it in anyone's face, but thankfully I was lucky to have a whole 1198 bike that was trouble-free for the 4 years I had it...and most of the miles on it were track miles too. It's really a luck of the draw with this stuff, just like with cars :eek:

·
Court Jester
12,112 Posts
I guess it depends on who you ask. Having had a Ducati, I understand the costs associated with them, but I'm not that inclined to say 1500 bucks for 15k miles is that great of a deal.

You're right that a blueprinted engine is not indestructible by any means. Race teams all know about that ;)...but if it's done right, and you're not abusing it, it should last you longer and perform better. And you might've got lucky with your ebay engines, but that's not everyone. Someone above mentioned the exact opposite. Not to rub it in anyone's face, but thankfully I was lucky to have a whole 1198 bike that was trouble-free for the 4 years I had it...and most of the miles on it were track miles too. It's really a luck of the draw with this stuff, just like with cars :eek:

Had I not fucked up my belts I'd probably still be on the original engine🤔

·
Court Jester
12,112 Posts
No offense to any member here as most have been proven to be honest folks. But I'd never buy an engine from an individual, that's a risk with too many variables. When you buy a used engine from a company off eBay with at the very least a 6 month warranty backed by eBay) that's something you can act on without getting personal.

Something I've learned over the years working with the FAA it's all about risk mitigation. When you step on a plane believe me 😉.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.