Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had a low mileage good condition 1098S, would you trade it and some cash for similar mileage and mods 1198SP? If so at what amount? Would the average rider (experienced and somewhat trained, but no race prodigy either) notice an operable difference enough to make it worth it in the long term?

Usage is street, with track in the future but not this year.

I know the SP has a number of factory goodies that I don't have: slipper, QS, tank, and TTX; but I'm curious what kind of dollar value (US) that you fellow riders and racers would put on these upgrades.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have an '11 SP - never owned a 1098 only an 848 - but I would never trade to a 1098 for my bike, (possibly an1098R). The q/s alone is an upgrade that makes the trade a non-starter. Add the tank, slipper, and suspension and it becomes a really easy decision. I'm not knocking the 1098, almost bought one before I got the SP, but you're comparing two unequal machines.

Of course there is a money difference between the two as well. But the old adage, "you get what you pay for", applies here.

You ask if it's worth it in the long term for the average rider? I consider myself average, although I don't track, and I think it was worth the difference. Not to mention the exclusiveness of the SP, something that I enjoy as well.

Hope that helps.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
I've never been a fan of the 1098, so I'm always gonna steer someone towards an 1198 with the better cam's, more compression, correct displacement and traction control on the "S/SP/R" models.

The SP is a special bike however and its unique not just in terms of its add-on's but also its paint job. If you plan on tracking it, maybe its not the right bike. The moment you crash it, the whole point of the SP goes out the window, its no longer worth anything extra. If you're willing to take that risk, its a great track bike.

In terms of a dollar figure, base 1198 vs 1198SP, probably $5k retail… or $3k with depreciation.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Use the principle of caveat emptor, "let the buyer beware" ..

·
Registered
460 Posts
He's asking if he should trade from a 1098 up to a 1198SP. Not trade down.
So whats with the 'flaky' responses? Am I missing something here?

Anyways, for street riding, I wouldn't bother. Sure you get the extra torque but the 1098 has plenty for the street anyway.

For track riding, you're better off starting with a smaller displacement bike.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's asking if he should trade from a 1098 up to a 1198SP. Not trade down.
So whats with the 'flaky' responses? Am I missing something here?

Anyways, for street riding, I wouldn't bother. Sure you get the extra torque but the 1098 has plenty for the street anyway.

For track riding, you're better off starting with a smaller displacement bike.
Correct. Curious about dollar values people would think make up the difference for an uptrade. (given similar condition between the two)

Also, not my first time on the track, just won't be for a while with my schedule. But I'm inclined to agree with starting smaller.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you can get the 1198SP with a trade in of similar condition 1098 plus $5K in cash, do it!

I think fair market is trade in plus $7.5K cash but $10K is too expensive.

Great bike, enjoy it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts