Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently on a 2014 RSV4...
Love it, but this 1299 just gets me drooling.

Quick down shift.. cornering abs... best looking bike by far.

Is it worth the swap?

I have heard panigale's are abit of a pig on the street. I wont really be tracking it.

Anyone shed some light?

For a supersport... the Aprilia is fairly comfy.
I can do 150kms in a day and not be to sore..

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
if you're not tracking it, then personally i don't see a point. there's only so much power than you need or can use on the street, and both the 1299 and an RSV4 have more than that. I wouldn't buy a Buggatti Veyron for a commuter car even if I could afford it, and likewise I don't see a point of a 1000+ cc race bike for the street, but to each their own.

Not to mention that some of these electronic gizmos on modern sport bikes were derived from racing and are designed for that...such as traction control, quick-shifter, auto-blipper, wheelie control/launch control, etc.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Even if you were tracking it, the RSV4 has won 3 World Superbike championships and the racing version has all the same adjustable geometry as the Panigale R which is $30,000 USD. Sure, the Panigale is sex on wheels, the Aprilia doesn't hold a candle to it. That's simply because the RSV4 was designed to be a MotoGP bike and dumbed down for the street, where the Panigale was always a street bike first and it's still being developed into a competitive racer years after it's initial release.

The pre-2012 RSV4's were garbage, they didn't really figure things out until 2013 and the 2015' RSV4 RR looks amazing. So back then, buying an ol' reliable 1198S or 1098R would have been a no-brainer. Throw a geometry kit on the thing and you'd be good to roll. However today, Aprilia has their shit wired and the RSV4 is a potent machine. Plus, it's pretty comfortable for a liter bike, I was surprised when I rode one not long ago.

Both bikes are excellent today, it's like choosing between two different super cars. They're both "super" so I guess the only thing to do is pick your color? LOL :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed about the power, cant use it all around the street. Some places you can though :-D
Plus I prefer a bigger bike (physically) between the legs. And lots of torque.
Rode a mats 899 and although it had good power, it didnt do it for me.
To small between the legs and didnt have that wow power factor.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
You want "fat" and "wow" BMW HP4.

You want "skinny" and "beautiful" buy a Ducati Panigale.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Is it worth the swap?

I have heard panigale's are abit of a pig on the street. I wont really be tracking it.

Anyone shed some light?
Is it worth the swap, that's up to you my friend. Both bikes are thoroughbreds in their respective capacities. I would agree that of the two superbikes, the V4 Ape is a bit more relaxed for street usage.

Test ride the 1199 to get a feel, as it will be the closest thing you will get to a 1299 right now. The 899 has a similar soul but doesn't reflect the bigger brother's furry. Hope this helps ..

·
Registered
938 Posts
Currently on a 2014 RSV4...
Love it, but this 1299 just gets me drooling.

Quick down shift.. cornering abs... best looking bike by far.

Is it worth the swap?

Anyone shed some light?

For a supersport... the Aprilia is fairly comfy.
I can do 150kms in a day and not be to sore..

People say that you do not need that much power .. or there is so much power you can use on the street but the same goes with super cars right? where can you use the 800hp?

you may not use it much or may only fully open the throttle when the cops are not around but it is just a nice thing to have.

·
Registered
215 Posts
People say that you do not need that much power .. or there is so much power you can use on the street but the same goes with super cars right? where can you use the 800hp?

you may not use it much or may only fully open the throttle when the cops are not around but it is just a nice thing to have.
You know, I was always one to believe the "too much power for the street" theory until I read your post. I am sitting here asking myself, "would I not buy a Pagani because it has too much power?" No, I would totally buy one. Good point sir.

Now too much power for the riders comfort and experience...that's another thing, but if the rider is capable of managing 200hp bikes, why not? Thanks dos lirio, now I gotta go get a 1299 from my 848evo

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have track bikes with 200 plus bhp......i won't mention the makes......(there not red)

I have other bikes too......

I also have a Ducati Desmosedici rr which I'm currently using on the road........which PS i am really enjoying...!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Follow your gut my friend......i've never needed any guidance on my purchases.....!

I've had 2 x RSV4 great bikes.......but your'll get over it..........PPS don't fit a quick shifter the gearboxes have more than you would expect plastic bearings / components in them............

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have track bikes with 200 plus bhp......i won't mention the makes......(there not red)

I have other bikes too......

I also have a Ducati Desmosedici rr which I'm currently using on the road........which PS i am really enjoying...!
You can mention the names. I promise we won't get upset unless you start spewing out nonsense.

This is a nonsense.
Agreed 100%.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
It's not my fault you guys don't know anything about the RSV4.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts