Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Ducati owners, So after years and years of owning Jap bikes I decided to go Italian for a change, I searched and came across this GEM, So I met the guy to take a look at the bike and needless to say the bike looked and sounded FLAWLESS. He was the original owner, the bike has 3,122 original miles, he had all the dealer receipts and oil change receipt too, the license plate on the bike still had the registration decal from 2009... lol He always started the bike from time to time but he hasn't ridden the bike on the road in 6 yrs the bike stayed in a temperature controlled storage facility for 6 yrs. I took the bike for a ride and was sold. I purchased the bike and drove it home. Any advise or comments are welcome.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Congrats on the purchase!

Classic Ducati superbikes are such neat machines. They will teach you to be a really good mechanic during your ownership, which is a good thing in my eyes. :)

I'd start with basic maintenance; you need to change the air filters, all fluids, brake/clutch, coolant and oil. I'd also swap the battery, as it's bound to be bad. Then I'd throw new belts on because the older belts had a shelf life of 2 years, even when sitting around. Another thing to think about is replacing the fuel filter right away, it will lead to problems down the road since it's been sitting with fuel in it all this time. Even if you drain the tank, the filter still has fuel in it from remains you can't get out. I'd buy a spare gasket when you do the filter change, they switched to vitone gaskets and the newer ones are much better.

Tires have a shelf life of around 5 years, so they will need to be changed as well. I'd also change the chain because ceased links are a common problem when sitting for that long and it will just have a lot of drag on the rear end. Not a huge problem, but something to think about.

Finally, old bikes need a suspension flush. Something you can do at any Ducati shop or suspension shop. The shock and fork oil changes properties when sitting for that long, especially in the forks. The rubber seals on the fork tubes also get dried out and frail, which causes them to leak.

So yea… it will need a few things, but all of that you can do yourself.

Be careful with these machines, they need a lot of attention, but if you keep them maintained well, they will give you years of joy. I learned how to ride on one of those bikes and have fond memories of street and track riding. :)

Good luck!

Reactions: deuce2

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm pretty sure I saw that bike on Craigslist too. The red exhaust cans caught my eye for sure. Have fun!

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I'd advice you to repost the pics to see what it is. Not that I'm advising you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Beautiful bike. If you are passionate about your purchase, then research this site. Type in 748 problems or even 996 problems, and you will gain some understanding of what needs to be done.
Again, your bike looks awesome.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes, do the belts, filters, fluids and tyres.
But forget all this talk of 7xx 9xx problems, just ride it and enjoy it.
I've had my 916 for almost 10 years. I've done 15,000 miles of track days, touring and fun riding. The only problem i've ever had is a split water header tank, six months ago.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.