Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the mid-season break in motoGP...only about 3 weeks, no big deal...but what's up with WSBK?? Why do they need a break for almost 2 months?? They only have 4 more weekends of racing, but they're dragging it until november 2nd.

Also, a sad thing I just realized when looking at the calendar....no more Monza :(

·
Registered
218 Posts
I understand the mid-season break in motoGP...only about 3 weeks, no big deal...but what's up with WSBK?? Why do they need a break for almost 2 months?? They only have 4 more weekends of racing, but they're dragging it until november 2nd.

Also, a sad thing I just realized when looking at the calendar....no more Monza :(
Boring for sure, although with a subscription to MGP or SBK you can re-visit past seasons / races during the break. The SBK season starts a month earlier than MGP and has fewer events (13 SBK vs 18 for MGP) so they have to spread the schedule out. But SBK has had five different winners so far this season, which is four more than MGP (lol).

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Worst part is, everyone is on break this coming weekend…

No MotoGP
No WSBK
No BSB
No Motocross
No F1

At least MotoGP comes back the weekend after. F1 has been keeping me quite busy! Amazing season!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
There was the small matter of Suzuka 8 hours last weekend. Or 6h35m as it turned out. Plus if you like the cars there was also the 24 hours of Spa (GT endurance racing ).
BSB at Thruxton this weekend plus World motocross GP of Belgium. ( Nagl on the Honda is something else ).
World Rally cars Finland, German Touring Cars Austria, British Touring Cars Snetterton, World Sidecar Motocross Estonia, there is a trackday at the Nurburgring and even you yanks have some Nascar and Indy car nonsense going on.

Plenty of racing out there if you just go look for it and most of it on TV somewhere in the world, which means you can find it on the internet.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boring for sure, although with a subscription to MGP or SBK you can re-visit past seasons / races during the break. The SBK season starts a month earlier than MGP and has fewer events (13 SBK vs 18 for MGP) so they have to spread the schedule out. But SBK has had five different winners so far this season, which is four more than MGP (lol).
Yep, I've already done that. I've had the GP subscription for the last 2 years and the WSBK one since the beginning of this year.

But even though GP only had 1 winner so far this year, it definitely has not been boring so far! Amazing season in my view for multiple reasons!

Worst part is, everyone is on break this coming weekend…

No MotoGP
No WSBK
No BSB
No Motocross
No F1

At least MotoGP comes back the weekend after. F1 has been keeping me quite busy! Amazing season!
Good! Maybe I'll get a chance to get some shit done around the house without having to worry about missing out on races!

F1 has been...meh...in my opinion. I've actually missed about 4 races this season and I found myself fast-forwarding through the ones I did watch. Other than the 2 races that Daniel won, pretty much every race has been Rosberg and Hamilton. Mercedes 1 and 2 for the majority of the races where both finished. Up until the last race, Mercedes team had about double the points of Red Bull in 2nd place....which is ridiculous, especially at this point in the season. I really hope Hamilton wins in the end...but I don't think the season has been that great. I'll wait for next year and hope for a more even field.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was the small matter of Suzuka 8 hours last weekend. Or 6h35m as it turned out. Plus if you like the cars there was also the 24 hours of Spa (GT endurance racing ).
BSB at Thruxton this weekend plus World motocross GP of Belgium. ( Nagl on the Honda is something else ).
World Rally cars Finland, German Touring Cars Austria, British Touring Cars Snetterton, World Sidecar Motocross Estonia, there is a trackday at the Nurburgring and even you yanks have some Nascar and Indy car nonsense going on.

Plenty of racing out there if you just go look for it and most of it on TV somewhere in the world, which means you can find it on the internet.
Yeah but I don't care for most of that. My main passion for motorsports is with motorcycle racing...MotoGP and its lower classes and WSBK with its lower classes. AMA as well, but they've pretty much gone to shit this year and can't watch it anywhere.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Yeah but I don't care for most of that. My main passion for motorsports is with motorcycle racing...MotoGP and its lower classes and WSBK with its lower classes. AMA as well, but they've pretty much gone to shit this year and can't watch it anywhere.

You really ought to try and watch the BSB if you can. The bikes might not be world superbike standard ( but it will still cost you £350K to get one bike through a season ) and the racing is absolutely second to none mate.

edit:// I'll never forget this weekend. I was trackside, shooting it. Day before Tommy Hill ran me over with his damn silent electric paddock bike and then rewarded me with this finish :)

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
MAVTV, DirecTV ch. #214 has been airing a lot of Motorcycle racing, including AUS Superbike and chan FS1 219 has been showing the John Ulrich's Superbike Showdown. Gonna try for BSB this weekend.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Yes the break from our addiction has been tedious.

I guess it should be pointed out that although WSBK has much less actual rounds than MotoGP, they DO ride two races each round.

And there has been some great racing, as well as a modicum of success for Ducati in Superbikes.

Ducati's GP effort might help give us hope for the future, but they aren't really competing on an equal footing in GP.

But I have been loving both series this year, for different reasons.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Hang in their Gents, O'ye of little faith,.... our time will come!!

Ciabatti: "Big improvement for GP14 in second part of season"

Ciabatti Halfway Ducati 2014

2014 - MotoGP - Half Season Interview - Paolo Ciabatti

Tuesday, 29 July 2014

Following numerous ups and downs for the Ducati Team in the first half of the 2014 season, motogp.com caught up with the Italian manufacturer’s MotoGP Project Director Paolo Ciabatti to gauge his opinion on the year so far.

He commented: “It has been quite a good season in terms of results because we’ve had two podium finishes. Dovi was third in Austin and second a couple of weeks ago in Assen. So scoring some good results and is actually standing fourth in the championship, which is good.

“On the other side, Cal had a lot of bad luck with technical problems, with the crash. And also his feeling with the bike is not so good at the moment, so we are trying to help him to understand better the bike and show his potential, because we think Cal is a great rider, but so far he hasn’t really been able to show that he can ride fast a Ducati.”

Much talk had been about the improvements on the notoriously tough-to-handle Desmosedici since the arrival of technical guru Luigi Dall’Igna.

“Gigi joined the company last year in Valencia, so at the beginning of November. So obviously the GP14 was basically already designed as a bike. But Gigi brought some ideas, we made a lot of changes, some changes we can no really see on the bike…but also working on software, and other features of the bike. The bike has improved.

“Obviously we still have this under-steering problem, and probably to solve that we need to work a little bit harder in terms of engine design and position of engine in the frame. It’s not up to me to say exactly what we should do. We’re both working on the new bike, the GP15 for next year, but we will bring also a big improvement on the GP14 in the second part of the season.”

With regards to his expectations for the second half of the year, Ciabatti concluded: “On some tracks I think we can be quite competitive, also in dry conditions. Obviously we will not be so sad if it’s raining on a Sunday, because our bike has proven to be quite competitive in rainy conditions. And as far as Cal is concerned obviously we want to help him get the confidence on the bike because we know once he can get the confidence he will push hard and will be close to the other riders.”

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A few things I don't get about BSB...

1. why are there so many americans there (and probably other nationalities)?

2. can't tell if there's more up and coming good young riders, or older experienced washed out riders that haven't been successful in the "big boy" international classes (i.e. James Ellison, John Hopkins, Michael Laverty as some examples....all raced in MotoGP)

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
1. why are there so many americans there (and probably other nationalities)?
Because nobody from Europe even recognizes the AMA sanctioned racing as even existing. So if you want a career in racing, places like BSB or Moto2, are good starters. Plus, BSB = no traveling. They have one race at Assen and thats it.

2. can't tell if there's more up and coming good young riders, or older experienced washed out riders that haven't been successful in the "big boy" international classes (i.e. James Ellison, John Hopkins, Michael Laverty as some examples....all raced in MotoGP)
Just think of BSB as WSBK, lots of seasoned older guys with a few youth sprinkled in. BSB is THE ONLY national series actually doing well today.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Because nobody from Europe even recognizes the AMA sanctioned racing as even existing. So if you want a career in racing, places like BSB or Moto2, are good starters. Plus, BSB = no traveling. They have one race at Assen and thats it.

Just think of BSB as WSBK, lots of seasoned older guys with a few youth sprinkled in. BSB is THE ONLY national series actually doing well today.
That's another thing, thanks for bringing it up! Why do they have a race in another country??

Also, does BSB have any smaller classes or is it just the superbikes? To me that doesn't sound like a start in a motorcycle racing career. The smaller classes are good starters, like the Spanish CIV series.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
That's another thing, thanks for bringing it up! Why do they have a race in another country??

Also, does BSB have any smaller classes or is it just the superbikes? To me that doesn't sound like a start in a motorcycle racing career. The smaller classes are good starters, like the Spanish CIV series.

I have to nip to the hospital for an appointment rub but I'll explain it all to you when I come back. BSB has The motostar championship which is 125/moto3 bikes, Triumph triple challenge ( although this is the last year ) Ducati Challeng Cup ( 848 and 899 ) Superstock 600 and 1000, Supersport 600 ( incorporating evo class ) and Superbike 1000 all in one weekend. We even had those godawful Harley X1200 things one year. All noise and no go! As I said, I'll explain it in detail along with your previous question.
May as well get your info from the horse's mouth rather than someone else's google search.

Here's the website in the meantime. 2014 MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship in association with Pirelli

Pretty sure one of your stations is carrying it this year, or at least highlights. I forget which. I'll look later when I get back from being probed ;)

Also Spain has the CEV. ( Espania ) Italy has the CIV.

·
Registered
78 Posts
BSB is a non-stop show all weekend of a plethora of classes. If you are a fan of racing, there is no way you can't be entertained by a BSB weekend. Especially when you consider how hard they are riding on some of the tracks they are. Bumps, narrow, no runoff and even jumping over the mountain.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i'll have to look into it then. i'm guessing by now it's close to the end of the season? when do they typically start and end?

edit: never mind...spoke too soon. just checked the website schedule, looks to be about halfway in the season

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Not forgotten you Rub. Just not in the mood for a big write up tonight. I think I'm a little depressed after being weighed at the hospital and coming in at 14 stone (89kg, 196lbs). I need a personal trainer dammit ;)

tomorrow, for sure. It's an interesting story given your questions, happy to tell it. Just not now ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts