Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, took another short spin today just really getting use to this girl and learning her traits so Ill be ready for my next track day.

Now I know I bought a used 12 year old motorcycle and its not new. Tweaking little things here and there along with finding some minor things I would have thought the previous owner would have told me about. Nothing major.

BUT CRAP !

When back to the bike about 6 hours after shutting her down and right there in the middle of the tach is about a 1 inch split in lens. WTF!

What in the :kaioken: could have caused that? Heat? Vibration? Both?

Are these things possessed or what?

So with that said, is there anyway to replace or repair the lens on the tach? I probably just wont worry about it because it is what it is..... BUT CRAP! Is this the kind of stuff is going to happen with these things?:violin:

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Strange eh? Seen it before though, most likely something fell on it.

You can crack the dashes open, but you can't buy replacement plastic easily. You could however buy a used dash on yee-ol' ebay and swap the plastics over. I mean, thats a simple solution and it may not be too expensive if its just a dash and nothing else.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trust me..... Nothing fell on it. And it is just the lens, everything else works fine.
I was not in the sun long so don't think it was the windshields fault.
Just sucks, because Im anal about that kind of stuff.
Kind of looks like a trailer park trash tattoo on a supermodel you know?
Sucks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Same thing on my 749 but it was there when i bought it,its kind weird because it looks like its cracked from the underside?

·
Registered
460 Posts
No offense but when I saw the thread title I was expecting something a lot more dramatic than cracked lens.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thx , Saw that

I have just accepted that this bike was bought used. Its a used bike. Its not new. It was bought for track days and the occasional back road jaunt and coffee shop. There are things that I just have to accept I am going to live with. This is one of them. It was not bought to put in a museum. Not going to spend 200-300 bucks just to address this cosmetic issue. Hell, look at the upper fairing the PO drilled holes and put stickers on to cover. Is-What-It-is

Just to be on the safe side though, I will lay my gloves over the gauges when I park it on sunny days

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am watching a clock set on ebay. Somewhere I saw a link to how to disassemble the unit and put the new front on it. Anybody know where that is?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. But I was lucky enough to find a used one on this site from a guy. I just " popped " the top off each one and swapped them. That way I didn't need to worry about the imobilizer. One thing I did due to stop the crack from spreading is I grab a small drill bit and used only my fingers to turn it, I drilled a small hole at the end of the crack about 90% through the plastic and than dipped a needle in crazy glue and put a dot worth in the hole. That kept it from creeping further for about 8 months until I got a new one. Good luck as a brand new one was north of 1000$

Sent from my iPad using Ducati.org Forum

1 - 12 of 12 Posts