Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have my eyes on a used 1098S at a local bike shop. It is a 2008, and has just under 18K on it for the mileage.

The bike looks to be in excellent shape, and hence I would think was well cared for. However, I cannot be sure. There is no way for me to find out all about its history -- how hard was it ridden? Have all of the maintenance checks been done? etc.

So my question is, how much of a risk am I taking in the purchase? Basically, I just don't want to buy it, and then find out at the 22.5K service visit that it needs thousands of dollars worth of repair work....

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Buy it if you like it... A good service history is valuable as mentioned, but expect to spend a lot of money with upgrades, there's so much to do on the 1098/1198 with aluminum tanks, slipper clutch, shock revolve, links, offset triple clamps, a rake levers, rear sets, clutch slave, fork cartridges, carbon parts, titanium hardware, wheels, tires, exhaust, ECU, etc. etc. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just bought my bike recently from a dealer and was in a similar position to you. Does the bike come with the service history actually stamped in the books as being done or is it just verbally mentioned? Something stamped as evidence of being done would be more reassuring. I received books and manual as well as spare key and code lock card etc when I purchased mine (1098R). Mine had 20K on it and from the service history I could tell it was a long time since the 12K service had been done (like four years prior) but all the history was documented and I could see the bike had been serviced at the proper intervals. I decided to have the major service done even though it wasn't due until 24K as time is also a measure of when the bike should be serviced. As Bstar has mentioned you could do some of the servicing yourself and save costs. I'm not yet able to do this but hope to in the future and got the dealer to do the major for me so I could ride away with peace of mind if nothing else. I think if you can find a good place that's not an official Ducati dealer but someone you can trust is also another way you could save money as Duc Dealers around here charge a bit more from what I've seen. I had a few options sent to me that were recommended by others on this forum in my area. If you don't know much about bikes get someone who does know to have a look too. Have you taken it for a test ride? Definitely do that. In Australia we have a small fee payable and you can find out whether the bike has ever been a repairable write off. I would recommend doing as much as you can before buying although in the end it's hard not to just want to take a leap of faith but try to tick as many boxes until you're comfortable enough. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I went back to check out the bike again, and noticed this....

When I turn the steering wheel to the far left, a section of the left-side handlebar controls (turn signal control, horn, etc.) makes contact with the gas tank. They told me that the bike has never been dropped/crashed, so I am wondering if this is normal? I should check to see if it turns far enough left so the steering can be locked.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Steering stops are adjustable. It very well may have been off from the start.

I'm assuming you've visually confirmed the case covers do not see any indication of scratches. One other good place to look are at the end-tips of the bar-end sliders.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.