Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the glut of questions lately, just one more :) Is there anything else I can do to smooth out the last bit of throttle snatch on my 848 ('13 Corse SE) as I have my first ever track day tomorrow.

I've greased the throttle cam inside the housing on the bars (it was completely dry) and this has helped and I've adjusted both cables for minimum slop. There is still a slight lurch going from fully off the gas to just cracked open which is a pain to control. I can use the clutch to feather it in but would prefer not to on my first track day as I'll have enough to think about!

Is there anything else I can do to get rid of the last bit of snatchy throttle? With the bike off I can hear rubbing/squeeking inside the bike when I turn the throttle. Does something at the engine end of the cables need greasing too?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The other end of your cables are the throttle butterfly valves; they are normally audible when you twist the throttle with the bike off. I suppose you could grease them but I hardly think it necessary, especially right before a track day. It's not a quick job accessing them.

Sounds to me like you're just discovering the torque-iness of the v twin. Just something to get used to - cracking the throttle slower and smoother initially. The only other option I can think of is to get a fuel controller/ECU tune to soften the initial throttle pick up. Joel at Boulder Motorsports did that for me on my last tune. But it's not a cure-all. At higher RPMs on the track it is even more critical to pick up the throttle slow and smooth, especially while leaned over.

You'll get used to it. And you'll enjoy your first track day; it's an addiction! Just remember to ride your own pace and have fun, there are no trophies or teams to put your bike back together for you if you bin it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The other end of your cables are the throttle butterfly valves; they are normally audible when you twist the throttle with the bike off. I suppose you could grease them but I hardly think it necessary, especially right before a track day. It's not a quick job accessing them.

Sounds to me like you're just discovering the torque-iness of the v twin. Just something to get used to - cracking the throttle slower and smoother initially. The only other option I can think of is to get a fuel controller/ECU tune to soften the initial throttle pick up. Joel at Boulder Motorsports did that for me on my last tune. But it's not a cure-all. At higher RPMs on the track it is even more critical to pick up the throttle slow and smooth, especially while leaned over.

You'll get used to it. And you'll enjoy your first track day; it's an addiction! Just remember to ride your own pace and have fun, there are no trophies or teams to put your bike back together for you if you bin it.
I've had the 848 for about 2 years so I'm already pretty used to the torque of the motor, which I love :) Its not that, its a definite on-off thing right at the point of opening the throttle. Its as if there's some slop being taken up, the bike will lurch forward a bit and unsettle itself. It can be a problem if I'm all the way off the gas before corner entry, on faster sweepers where I can enter with the throttle already open the rest of the throttle action through the corner and on exit is absolutely fantastic :)) I think I've got fairly good control, I'm pretty smooth with my right hand but the window for open/closed is minute, it's like 0.1% of the throttle action.

No real problem in traffic because I can use the clutch, I'd just rather not do that on the track. Sounds like I'll have to just be careful tomorrow.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Not something that you will be able to tackle on such short notice, but I timed my cams close to world supersport specs 104/108 and it took out most of the tip in snatch even with a lightened(2lb) flywheel on my 1098. The cams are retarded even more than factory specs on most 1x98/848 bikes.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds more advanced than I'm capable of. I adjusted the cables again and that has improved things a bit more. It turned out not to be such a big issue on the track as I thought it might though it could still be smoother.

·
Registered
138 Posts
OP, I know exactly of what you speak. I kind of got used to it over the past few years but just installed a progressive rate quick turn throttle tube and I think it helped tremendously with that initial surge from cracking the throttle, especially putting around at parking lot speeds. It's not completely gone but is definitely not as harsh. I personally went with the Dan Kyle tube on a whim but I think any variable rate tube would probably help with this.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OP, I know exactly of what you speak. I kind of got used to it over the past few years but just installed a progressive rate quick turn throttle tube and I think it helped tremendously with that initial surge from cracking the throttle, especially putting around at parking lot speeds. It's not completely gone but is definitely not as harsh. I personally went with the Dan Kyle tube on a whim but I think any variable rate tube would probably help with this.
This is great info :). I was going to ask if there was some kind of progressive throttle mod, sounds ideal.

Since the track day I've also noticed I can't bend my wrist enough to hit the stop so have to reposition it to get full throttle. Does the DK mod also shorten the total amount of travel (less rotation for full throttle)?

·
Registered
138 Posts
It does. I can go to WOT without repositioning my hand whereas before I was nowhere near doing so. After a much longer second ride today and paying closer attention to throttle snatch I can revise my last by saying it really is all but gone.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It does. I can go to WOT without repositioning my hand whereas before I was nowhere near doing so. After a much longer second ride today and paying closer attention to throttle snatch I can revise my last by saying it really is all but gone.
that's what I want to hear :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.