Ducati.org forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Penis Envy

mrinflux said:
Von,

Once again I'm humbled by your insight. As you've so aptly pointed out, all my comments are borne from a deep-seated inadequacy owing to the fact that your penis is in fact larger than mine. How do you do it?

I am not worthy.

Elton
Who was talking about Johnson's?
U must want me or something, following me around like you do ;)
I have not seen another guy more interestes in what another guys does.

Maybe we should chalk it up to Penis Envy. :jerkoff:

I think I'm going to start our own post so we can stop Hijacking others and poeple can actully comment on the topic instead of reading our BS.
:blah:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi,

Reminds me of the old yamaha FJ1100 problem of when you rolled off the throttle for a roundabout, the thing accelerated... 3 out of the 5 I tried did this! Out of the 47 bikes I've had, quite a few have had throttle response problems... if it's not something mechanical, ECU changes or fuelling changes (powercommander) will cure it.

Jamie UK

·
Registered
590 Posts
brettc63 said:
Same as me possibly - with a good piece of rope and a few bricks. 1 hour twice a day, works wonders.

Quote - "I think I'm going to start our own post so we can stop Hijacking others and poeple can actully comment on the topic instead of reading our BS."

Not a bad idea! - Lets us now where and when and we can hang up our keyboards and just read and laugh
:D :D :D

T

·
0 Posts
AMG ETR said:
So I am riding home for lunch today and I accelerate in 2nd gear to about 4000 rpms and let off for upcoming traffic, but the bike stayed at 4000 rpms even when I had released the throttle!! I pushed it foward to make sure the actual grip wasn't stuck, but it was back on neutral position!! I pulled the clutch in and the revvs SLOWLY dropped to 2000, but then stayed there and as soon as I let out the clutch and accelerated again they would stay at whatever RPM I let off at!! Finally I turned off the bike with the kill switch and restarted it and had the same thing happen. Then I tried turning off the key (this is all while riding down a busy street) and turned it back on and the problem was gone, which leads me to believe it was somthing electronic (throttle position sensor??).

It was kinda scary since I was on one of the most busy streets here during lunch time... Any ideas guys?? Guess its just another thing to add to the list when I go for my 600 service...
Evan

I've had the same thing happen to me...after riding about 10 miles HARD, the problem stopped. I took it in for service the next day and explained what happened, and the service guy said his did the same thing and there is no fix for it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Going for my 600 service Thurs. and they are going to take a look... I am sure there won't be anything they can do, but I want a reccord of it I guess... They are also gunna check my Termi ECU to see if its the old part number and thats why its stalling... Can't wait to get this thing running flawless and wide open! I am lovin' it!
Evan

·
Registered
354 Posts
von1098 said:
U r amussing.. No i'm not a seasoned vet, but let's not forget lots of rider don't do 4200 in a year.
Let's see. I bought my Hayabusa new in May of 2006. I had 14K on it when my 1098 came in the middle of April. The 'Busa has 15K on it now and the Duc has 6K on it now. That's riding it to work (12 miles one way) about half the time.

Oh, and I first started riding on the street in March of '06 (bought a new SV1000- traded it for the Hayabusa with 1500 miles on it).

·
Registered
85 Posts
AMG ETR said:
Going for my 600 service Thurs. and they are going to take a look... I am sure there won't be anything they can do, but I want a reccord of it I guess... They are also gunna check my Termi ECU to see if its the old part number and thats why its stalling... Can't wait to get this thing running flawless and wide open! I am lovin' it!
Evan
Evan,
Was the throttle sticking with the Termi ECU? I had the same experience on the stock ECU a week ago, but wasn't as fortunate as you. The throttle appeared to surge rather than slow when engine braking into a slow (30 mph) corner in town. The long and short of it was that I ended up lowsiding and sliding into a curb with substantial damage to the forks. Not much fun and couldn't find any trace of a malfunction afterwards. Once we're back on the road, I will always keep the data logger turned on.
Mifune

·
Registered
8,969 Posts
Mid June, riding through town in medium traffic at about 80km/h, (900 k on the bike then) I let off the throttle as I approached a red light. The bike idled down to about 2 grand and I Pulled in the clutch, it came up linearly to 4 grand. I pulled off the road idling with the bike in neutral and tried snapping the throttle to see if it was a sticking cable, still came back to hold 4 grand. I shut off the engine and restarted it, idled fine. About ten minutes later at another light it did the same thing. I rode it for another week until I went in for my 1000 K service and it only happened once more. I have the stock ECU and it is prone to stalling. The service manager checked and reset the Throttle position sensor and attributed it to the ECU since nothing appeared to be wrong. Because they need the bike for almost a week to change the ECU I'm living with the problem until winter, the stalling bugs me more and the climbing RPM isn't abrupt enough that I would consider it dangerous.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I dont believe it!

TexasKid said:
I've had the same thing happen to me...after riding about 10 miles HARD, the problem stopped. I took it in for service the next day and explained what happened, and the service guy said his did the same thing and there is no fix for it.
I dont know whats more shocking 1. the fact that this is occuring or 2. you guys seem to be so non chalont aboud it.
Mine hasnt done this yet i hope it never does it.
I carnt believe the dealers mechanic told you that there was no fix!

T

·
0 Posts
Dukesterman said:
I dont know whats more shocking 1. the fact that this is occuring or 2. you guys seem to be so non chalont aboud it.
Mine hasnt done this yet i hope it never does it.
I carnt believe the dealers mechanic told you that there was no fix!

I try to separate myself from the MANY winers on here who cry when a windscreen bolt loosens up half a turn. It has a warranty, they'll fix it. I took it in, the problem has been noted, when DNA finds a solution it'll get fixed. I have better things to do and worry about than a bike. Call me non-chalont, but if a piece of machinery malfunctions, it'll be fixed...why bitch and moan about it? I know some of the owners on here are under the influence that the 1098 is a piece of flawless machinery, but in reality it's just a hunk of metal, rubber and plastic...it will fail eventually. Why get worked up about it?

·
Registered
488 Posts
I think there is a line, certain flaws are non-safety issues - I agree, no sweat. The throttle sticking, that is a flaw that would concern me - would make me nervous to ride not knowing it was fixed (with a 13 month old son at home, I have bigger concerns for my safety now then I did a few years ago).

-d

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It luckly happened to me on a straight flat road which is why it didn't concern me, but after reading some of these stories of it happening in turns and sending the bike to the ground, my eyes are open a little wider. I am taking it in Thur. for my 600 service and will see what they have to say... And yes this was on the TERMI SLIP-ON ECU...
Evan

·
Registered
153 Posts
Dude i agree but.....

TexasKid said:
I try to separate myself from the MANY winers on here who cry when a windscreen bolt loosens up half a turn. It has a warranty, they'll it. I took it in, the problem has been noted, when DNA finds a solution it'll get fixed. I have better things to do and worry about than a bike. Call me non-chalont, but if a piece of machinery malfunctions, it'll be fixed...why bitch and moan about it? I know some of the owners on here are under the influence that the 1098 is a piece of flawless machinery, but in reality it's just a hunk of metal, rubber and plastic...it will fail eventually. Why get worked up about it?
.....im think im pragmatic a fatalist and a realist Texas kid, my bike is currently in the shop again because it now wont start, it was recalled when i first got it for the belt tensioners and needs an ECU fix for the stalling issue these are things that i havnt wined, bitched or moaned about as this i think is part of owning a Ducati....this new problem is something different it is an accident waiting to happen, people will end up wasting their bikes and/or themselves because of throttle stick.
Unfortunitly like most things it wont be taken seriously by anyone least of all the manufacturer until some body gets killed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just checked my throttle cables due to being very sloppy. They have been routed under the brake lever instead of over like in my manual. I am going to re route them and see if that helps, certainly dont want throttle to stick.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My throttle stuck today too... on the freeway going home for lunch, fortunately I was on a boring straight as an arrow stretch and had just changed lanes to make way for merging traffic from an on-ramp. I was closing in on a slower moving semi when I rolled off the throttle to slow a bit as I got closer, the bike continued on at 4000rpm in 5th like it had cruise control. I slowed it with the brakes a touch until the semi moved over, I let off the brake and it climbed to 4000rpm again (about 75ish on the speedo I think) and stayed there. I forced the throttle forwards and it didnt change, pulled in the clutch and it stayed around 4k... I blipped it once while the clutch was pulled in and it instantly dropped back to idle. Very strange, so chalk up another one.

'08
750 miles
stock exhaust & ECU

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Vanders said:
Just checked my throttle cables due to being very sloppy. They have been routed under the brake lever instead of over like in my manual. I am going to re route them and see if that helps, certainly dont want throttle to stick.

The service manual shows it that way and it looks like it wouldn't bend the cables as bad that way, but mine are routed under. Anybody else have their throttle cables routed over the top of the brake lever?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Luckily, it hasnt happened to me yet...touch wood, but it does make me concerned!

We are alot of 1098 riders out here, and havent heard anyone reporting similiar problems. As we have quite a few long straight stretches out here, we tend to open the bikes up to high speeds, and God forbit that this occur at 160mph, with a group of 20 riders behind you

Prevention is better than cure

What visual inspection can be done to check if this problem is likely to occur?

·
Registered
97 Posts
AMG ETR said:
So I am riding home for lunch today and I accelerate in 2nd gear to about 4000 rpms and let off for upcoming traffic, but the bike stayed at 4000 rpms even when I had released the throttle!! I pushed it foward to make sure the actual grip wasn't stuck, but it was back on neutral position!! I pulled the clutch in and the revvs SLOWLY dropped to 2000, but then stayed there and as soon as I let out the clutch and accelerated again they would stay at whatever RPM I let off at!! Finally I turned off the bike with the kill switch and restarted it and had the same thing happen. Then I tried turning off the key (this is all while riding down a busy street) and turned it back on and the problem was gone, which leads me to believe it was somthing electronic (throttle position sensor??).

It was kinda scary since I was on one of the most busy streets here during lunch time... Any ideas guys?? Guess its just another thing to add to the list when I go for my 600 service...
Evan
Happened to me also on a group ride....when I was back of pack....nearly took some people out....I slammed throttle full open then shut and it hard and it chilled out.....terrifying though cause it was accelerating while I was thinking of something to do...

·
Registered
49 Posts
DukeQ said:
Prevention is better than cure

What visual inspection can be done to check if this problem is likely to occur?
So far I have not read that anybody has figured out why they do it yet, dealerships wont be able to find anything out unless they can duplicate the problem. Anything I read stated that the people who did take the bikes in were told nothing was wrong.

Somebody needs to shut the bike down WHILE its jammed and trailer it to the dealer WITH it jammed so they can carefully take it apart and determine what is causing it. It seems to happen far too infrequently and to a very select and "lucky" few (myself included) for anybody to figure it out.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
elevens said:
The service manual shows it that way and it looks like it wouldn't bend the cables as bad that way, but mine are routed under. Anybody else have their throttle cables routed over the top of the brake lever?
Mines are routed under the front brake. I came across this scenario myself, but it was a result of my own doing... At my 1000Km Service the technician tighten up my throttle cables cause my throttle had a little too much play in it. About a week or so ago, I purchased the throttlemeister throttle controller and installed it. Once installed the cables were too tight for it. I blip the throttle and it would go back to the home position completely, it was really noticable once I started the bike, cause then you can hear it and not see it so much.

I ended up loosening both throttle adjusters completly which eliminated the stickiness, then I slowly tighten it a half to one turn on each and it fine now.

Any changes ajustments recently made to your throttle? Any maintenance done recently that may have required the tank to come off? Mayber the cables are wedged somewhere under the tank. If you look at the neck you should be able to move the cables freely, the adjusters should be in plain view.

Hope this helps.

Cheers and ride safe.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts