Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 996 and I am looking to replace my handle bar grips to something like Pro Grip. I noticed that the 996 has a lip on the end of the throttle tube. Do you push the grip to the inside of the throttle tube lip and see white plastic or should I grind down the plastic lip?

I also tried to install some after market Bar Ends, that are not plastic but I noticed that is rubs against the throttle tube and causes the throttle to stick. I can not push the throttle tube any further up the bars because it hits the Kill switch. I can't move the kill switch because it has a piece of plastic that sticks out to fit into a hole in the handle bar.

Are the issues I am having because I am trying to install after market grips on a Stock Handle Bar with a stock throttle tube? I have install numerous after market grips on my dirt bike and never ran into these issues. Any advice?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Yea, just cut the pins off so you can move everything around, they only exist for DOT regulations. You can buy bars like dirt bike bars, they're called "clip on bars" and they work great. Just need the rings that hold them to the triple clamps (clip on's) and the bars themselves.

Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so should trim the outer lip on the throttle tube or find grips that fit my stock throttle tube?

Do you know if there are bar ends, other than the stock plastic ones that will work with my stock handle bars? I notice that a lot of bar ends require 17mm, inside diameter, and the stock bars are about 16.5mm

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I always used aftermarket bars, so unfortunately I don't know what the sizes are for the stockers.

Find grips that will work with the stock tube, you shouldn't have to trim anything. They're standard sport bike grips, nothing special.

·
Registered
252 Posts
To fit progrips to my 996 I cut off the lip on the tube plus a few millimetres extra and slipped them on, simple. This also left clearance for my aftermarket bar ends.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.