Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been thinking long and hard about this for a good minute. I bought my 2013 Evo in Artic Silk in June. I laid the sucker down in August and every faring but the Tank and Upper right got replaced. The paint is a 9/10 match. I was told to leave it in the sun and the new panels will fade and come to a closer match.

Although I like the white, I am not In love with it. I kind of always wanted a Red Ducati. Idk why but it attracts me more.

I have all of the OE plastics form the crash and I know a guy that does a good job of repairing fairings. These are what I think are my options.

Option A) Source A used upper right and tank, repair the old plastics, and have them painted Red.

Option B) Paint my bike red.

Option C) Take what I have and do some kind of paint scheme that incorporates both the white and red. ( gonna need Ideas for this)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I've always dug the red and white look.

You can go MORE red like the one you posted, which is very sexy. Or you can go more white like mine:

I'm not a big fan of the OEM tank to begin with… far better to spend the money on a fuel cell from either ETI or maybe sourcing an aluminum one off ebay. This way you won't have the tank expanding issues ever AND have a blank canvas!

Reactions: eljoker

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im dedicated if I get Ideas!!!!! lol Ive been looking around for custom 848/1098/1198s but its very limited. I want it to look like it was a Special Edition versus some bad Photoshop come to life.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Kinda partial to mostly RED!!!

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
DucShop - What a halfazz mechanic.
Stay away from that guy. He likes your money but cannot seem to do the job 100%.

Always been gr8 to me and many of my friends and racing buddies. Know and used Mark since 2008. Great Ducati professional tuner... In my opinion and experience.....

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
For sure like the Black swing arm....... especially with black wheels and Ohlins anodized suspension..... just sayin.......

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Always been gr8 to me and many of my friends and racing buddies. Know and used Mark since 2008. Great Ducati professional tuner... In my opinion and experience.....

I am guessing that you never go back into your bike and see what the last guy had done?

I took mine to him for my 32K belts and valves... Thought I would save some time.

He couldn't reset the service light. That would be a nice feature to offer when wrenching on a Ducati.
At least give me a head's up before, I could have taken it to ATL BMW-Duc and had it reset.
Then at 48k when I pulled the bike apart to do the valves and belts, I find he never tightened the clamps on the throttle bodies which hold the air box on.

There is no excuse. He happily took my money.

But I guess if you don't know how to work on a motorcycle, Mark is as good as any other wanna be dealership mechanic.
I like knowing that if I have somebody do the work, they give my bike 100% attention.
I give 100% to the guys whose bikes I work on, I expect the same in return. At Mark's prices, his customer deserve better.
You can tell him that I am bashing him. I am sure he will remember me.:stickpoke

Part of why I always shoot video and/or let the owner watch me tear apart their bike...
I can't tell you how many HD's I have found that the last mechanic jacked something up then hid it from the customer.
I always show the owner everything I find.
And I also get some pretty good DIY videos for Youtubes.

DucShop gets no positive feedback from me.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Plain white bodywork can look alright, too. :)

Oh, and Mike. I've seen your vids on YouTube which are very well done from a usefulness and tech standpoint. But what you experienced with Mark at DucShop is most definitely not the normal brand of workmanship that comes from his shop.

Not affiliated with DucShop in any way. I just run some of his chassis bits, and have seen how a few bikes built by him and his shop perform.

-Christian

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
I work on my bikes,, and motors, every day.... During 9 months of the year I race my bike and fix/adjust/etc... on the bike after every race weekend. I also consult with Mark every week, and certainly have worked after his work..... and I have nothing... nothing but good reports on any work, set-up advice, parts, etc etc.... Totally the opposite of your experience. So be it, let us agree to disagree.. I would recommend the work/service/parts/advice to anyone having a Ducati, for any intended use. And further I know good group of folks who feel the same way. (as I do) three or four of us are having engine/suspension work done at this time. It is what it is.....Sorry for your bad experience.... (p.s. I am not connected to the Ducshop in any professional position)... Mine is purely an opinion as a consumer. No axe to grind what-so ever, only positive feedback.

Reactions: ANORXIC'51

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Nice thing about white is you don't have to have separate back ground for number plates!!! Which are a total pain in the ass for 848/1098 bodywork!!!!!!

Reactions: ANORXIC'51

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm.... Full white might be an option. Its just that the Tank and Upper right arnt matching the new body work. It will still look off.....oh and i might of dropped it on the trailer and chiped some paint off the tank.... Forgot about that lol.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Plain white bodywork can look alright, too. :)

Oh, and Mike. I've seen your vids on YouTube which are very well done from a usefulness and tech standpoint. But what you experienced with Mark at DucShop is most definitely not the normal brand of workmanship that comes from his shop.

Not affiliated with DucShop in any way. I just run some of his chassis bits, and have seen how a few bikes built by him and his shop perform.

-Christian
Very nice bike mate. You notice a big difference by swapping the wheels?

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Very nice bike mate. You notice a big difference by swapping the wheels?
Going to be honest, at first when I first upgraded them (before I got the CZs on the track) I pretty much viewed them as more of a "bling" mod. I could tell a difference on the street, but I'm not into fast street riding at all, so I didn't truly understand their worth. I'd only had one td on the OEM wheels before the change and since it was my first trackday on the 848, wheel weight was the last thing on my mind. I was concentrating more on enjoying Road America for the first time and wondering why it was so tough to put the bike where I wanted, lol.

The weekend after that RA event is when I got an offer to buy the CZs (packaged with an RCS-19 and M4 monoblocks w/Spiegler lines). Next trackday wasn't until a month later at the end of June.

IMMEDIETELY understood the significance of lighter wheels after the first session. I attribute the wheels to my being stubborn for two years about not needing offset triples or the linear link. They really did make it easier to "flick" the bike at turn-in and transitions. The one person who's ridden my bike at the track (Road America a year later) actually thought I had offset triples on the bike already with how much easier it turned in compared to other 848/1x98 models he'd ridden. :)

Reducing unsprung weight does absolute wonders for how a bike handles, goes, and stops. I'd still rank getting proper chassis/suspension setup ahead of aftermarket/lightweight wheels, but if the opportunity presents itself thru a great deal like it did for me, jump on the wheels. The aftermarket chassis bits pop up for sale much more often than non-OEM wheels do.

Combine lightweight wheels with 28-30mm triples, though.....

:lovebirds:

I couldn't imagine how effortless a bike would handle by adding something like the CMC rotors to that front end...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts