Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the forum for good advice and good wisdom of all the various options for rear tire replacement. You guys really had me thinking what to get. In the end, I ended up sticking with the factory equipment, Perelli Dragon Supercorsa Pro. Crazy expensive but my stealer ordered me one for about 20% discount = $243.96. I've been pretty happy with the performance but they sure don't last long!

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
sticking with the best

In the end, I ended up sticking with the factory equipment, Perelli Dragon Supercorsa Pro.
elevens,

Yeah, me too. The Pirellis don't last long, but they're mad sticky, and in when I'm putting 150+ horsepower to the rear wheel, I want the stickiest tire money can buy, (within reason). IMO, attempts to get a longer lasting tire at the expense of stick is, "penny wise and pound foolish."

Elton

·
Registered
185 Posts
How many miles did tires last? I just replaced my rear tire as well. I got a nail in it. Sucks. Only 1,100 miles on the tire and it still looked new. I picked up another Supercorsa Pro, but may consider the Pirelli Diablo Corsa III or Rosso for more commuting/street riding when these wear out. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Someone recommended the Michelin 2ct, but I opted to stay with the Supercorsa Pro for now. Once they wear, I'm not sure what I'll get. I do want something sticky though. Any thoughts on the other Pirelli options?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
How many miles did tires last? I just replaced my rear tire as well. I got a nail in it. Sucks. Only 1,100 miles on the tire and it still looked new. I picked up another Supercorsa Pro, but may consider the Pirelli Diablo Corsa III or Rosso for more commuting/street riding when these wear out. What do you guys think?
The only thing I don't like about the OEM's are that the grooves don't go right to the rim of the tire (pfff, not that I've gone that far with them anyways..). Having said that, if decide to try another tyre, I'm thinking of the the Corsa III's because I'm planning for some trackdays and I like the write-up on them:

- Performance as soon as you need it
- Confidence on normal roads and top performance on racetrack;
- Improved corner entry while still braking hard;
- Exploitation of your bike's potential to the utmost.

If you're not into the track, the Rosso's should be OK, IMO.

·
Banned
12,711 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the OEM's are that the grooves don't go right to the rim of the tire (pfff, not that I've gone that far with them anyways..). Having said that, if decide to try another tyre, I'm thinking of the the Corsa III's because I'm planning for some trackdays and I like the write-up on them:

- Performance as soon as you need it
- Confidence on normal roads and top performance on racetrack;
- Improved corner entry while still braking hard;
- Exploitation of your bike's potential to the utmost.

If you're not into the track, the Rosso's should be OK, IMO.
I would have thought less grooves = more rubber on road when leaned over = better grip. Unless wet of course.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
As I've written elsewhere,

Someone recommended the Michelin 2ct, but I opted to stay with the Supercorsa Pro for now. Once they wear, I'm not sure what I'll get. I do want something sticky though. Any thoughts on the other Pirelli options?
I've got two months on the Rossos, 1100+ commuting miles and one canyon day, and I have no complaints. These guys who scuff their knee sliders on a daily basis--a talent I have yet to develop--might notice a difference, but I can't. My salesman and the service writer both recommended them, saying they are great street tires, quite suitable for track days, but are not racing tires.

That's just my opinion; I could be wrong. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just put a set of 2CT's on my 1098 and I love them so far. I've only put a couple of hundred back road miles on them, but they stick very well and give good feedback.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I just put a set of 2CT's on my 1098 and I love them so far. I've only put a couple of hundred back road miles on them, but they stick very well and give good feedback.

I've heard the term "good feedback" quite a bit in reference to typres. Can you or someone articulate somewhat on what kind of feedback registers with you?

·
Banned
12,711 Posts
I've heard the term "good feedback" quite a bit in reference to typres. Can you or someone articulate somewhat on what kind of feedback registers with you?
a little bit of give in the grip, or a bit of a slide before they really let go on you maybe?

I've always found Michelins to not do this for example, as they take a while to warm up, despite providing excellent grip. And when you push them to the limit, they give you no warning of where the limit is. But that is just my totally unfounded and inexerienced take on it.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
199 Posts
It's kind of hard for me to put "feel" and "feedback" into words. I guess the response above is one way to measure it.

Another way is how the motorcycle responds when you ask it to turn, brake, etc. I like the confidence that these tires give me. I never felt a slip, slide or wobble during some fairly hard riding. The 1098 also turns in easier for me with the 2CT's.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I agree, 2ct's is the best mod i made, good trade off for wet riding also. Perfect feedback, the rear slips slightly when you put the power down warning of the grip thats left. I found my corsa's didnt do that and were poor in the wet, no in fact they are dangerous in the wet.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I just had my Michelin 2CT's mounted today. I will be taking the bike to the track in ten days, and I'm real excited to try them on the 1098. Familiarity is a good thing, and I "Trust" and have confidence in the Pilot Power tires. I'm glad to be "Off" Pirelli's, and back to a comfortable place.

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
a little bit of give in the grip, or a bit of a slide before they really let go on you maybe?

I've always found Michelins to not do this for example, as they take a while to warm up, despite providing excellent grip. And when you push them to the limit, they give you no warning of where the limit is. But that is just my totally unfounded and inexerienced take on it.

Anyone else?
Assuming your talking PP's my experiance is exact as yours.

With the PP's, it's like.. Ya I got-ya, I got ya.. Wooop's don't got-ya.. :nutkick:

And watch those painted lines with the PP's.. I think they're a good tire for most and wear like iron for a performance tire.

The 2ct's to me were kinda squirly feeling. I think it's from the different compounds transitions. felt like at a certain lean angle it wouldn't feel real planted, I think at this angle your on both the hard and soft compounds. Lean it way over and tires would settle in, straighten up and the tires would settle back in.. There was just that point that was in between that was distracting and spoiled my confidence in them..

Luv those Dunlop Q's though.. :yo:

RC

·
Banned
12,711 Posts
Assuming your talking PP's my experiance is exact as yours.

With the PP's, it's like.. Ya I got-ya, I got ya.. Wooop's don't got-ya.. :nutkick:

And watch those painted lines with the PP's.. I think they're a good tire for most and wear like iron for a performance tire.

The 2ct's to me were kinda squirly feeling. I think it's from the different compounds transitions. felt like at a certain lean angle it wouldn't feel real planted, I think at this angle your on both the hard and soft compounds. Lean it way over and tires would settle in, straighten up and the tires would settle back in.. There was just that point that was in between that was distracting and spoiled my confidence in them..

Luv those Dunlop Q's though.. :yo:

RC
Yes was talking PP's. I lost all confidence in the Michelins after that. Still prefer the Pirellis over them. Am interested in the Bridgetsones and Dunlops for my next set maybe. Hearing good things about the BST's, and always used have good experiences with Dunlops, so would trust them again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts