Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it customary to tip the salepeople at a m/c dealership?
Do you guys tip the salesperson who sold you the bike....what sort of tip ($) did you give?

Some guys say it's crazy to tip them seeing as to how they're usually trying to get as much $$$ from you as possible and to up their "commission" ante.......what do you guys think?

I'd like to ask you guys for your opinions.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,751 Posts
Steve,

Tipping is not customary in the business. Having said that, I"m sure your salesperson would gladly accept any gratuity you give him/her.

Elton
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I gave my "guy" a $100 tip and felt cheap but it was all the "extra" cash I had in pocket....my plan was to give him $300. I figured i'd give him another $200 when he delivered the bike- which he says he'll do personally- I'm 55 miles away and thought it would be fair for such a long distance delivery.
No biggie- I did the same thing when I bought my ZX10R.

I'm just a poor artist but I do appreciate good service.

Thanks for the replies guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
No offence, but if your tipping everyone, I can see why your a poor artist. Save that $$$ for a track day!!! :D Not a bad trait tho, hearts in the right place. And no, Ive never heard of tipping the salesman.


SteveNunez said:
Well I gave my "guy" a $100 tip and felt cheap but it was all the "extra" cash I had in pocket....my plan was to give him $300. I figured i'd give him another $200 when he delivered the bike- which he says he'll do personally- I'm 55 miles away and thought it would be fair for such a long distance delivery.
No biggie- I did the same thing when I bought my ZX10R.

I'm just a poor artist but I do appreciate good service.

Thanks for the replies guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
I don’t know about tipping but I have seriously considered buying pizza for the shop that I am getting my bike from. I am working in Afghanistan and have been making payments every two weeks until it gets in then pay the rest off. The dealer pulled a full exhaust for me ( I hope ) and let me ship all the carbon fiber parts I wanted to have put on the bike before my last vacation in June. Which means if the bike sits there for a month it will be taken care of until I can pick it up. All around good people and nothing beats a pizza party even though I cant have any.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,751 Posts
delivery tip

steve,

the profit margins on the '07 1098 is slim. (the dealers had their margins cut after the price was set and were not allowed to increase the MSRP - at least that's what my dealer is saying). since the salespeople work on a commission that is based on the profit margin as opposed to the sale price, the commission on the 1098 is not very big. while your 1098 may be one of the most expensive bikes on the floor, your salesman very likely makes a much bigger commission on other, less expensive bikes that have more mark-up in them, (used bikes, for example). that being the case, your salesman was probably very grateful for the tip. and since they're delivering your bike, (on a trailer, i hope!), it's only fair. some dealerships charge a delivery fee.

i used to sell cars before i went to lawschool. i made a living but it was no get-rich-quick scheme. i was very grateful on the rare occassion when a customer gave a gratuity. you did a nice thing. that can never be wrong. and you're making art on top of it! good for you. you get my vote and my business if i ever custom-paint my bike!

Elton
 
G

·
mrinflux said:
steve,

the profit margins on the '07 1098 is slim. (the dealers had their margins cut after the price was set and were not allowed to increase the MSRP - at least that's what my dealer is saying). since the salespeople work on a commission that is based on the profit margin as opposed to the sale price, the commission on the 1098 is not very big. while your 1098 may be one of the most expensive bikes on the floor, your salesman very likely makes a much bigger commission on other, less expensive bikes that have more mark-up in them, (used bikes, for example). that being the case, your salesman was probably very grateful for the tip. and since they're delivering your bike, (on a trailer, i hope!), it's only fair. some dealerships charge a delivery service.

i used to sell cars before i went to lawschool. i made a living but it was no get-rich-quick scheme. i was very grateful on the rare occassion when a customer gave a gratuity. you did a nice thing. that can never be wrong. and you're making art on top of it! good for you. you get my vote and my business if i ever custom-paint my bike!

Elton

Sorry to interject, but the profit margin on a 600RR is around $1500...I'm sure the guys selling us our 1098's are making rent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Steve,

I agree with mrinflux to an extent. I did not tip my saleman but I do bring beer to the guys after work from time to time. I sold Harley's for a short time in my life and I can tell you this. Even though they were priced from 16k to 30k it was just barely a living. Plus, you have now set your expectations with them. I'm sure when you show up to the dealer you'll recieve that little something extra in the service you get.

Btw, I'm calling b.s. on the "poor artist" :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Great Idea!!

I have used the same sales person for the last six years. She has gone the extra mile to get me a good price. I know that she is not making a big comission on me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I get "tips" all the time selling for BMW. It's usually a nice bottle of wine or wiskey, the odd Starbucks card, things like that. $100 is on the high side, but good for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
If your going to tip the guy I would go with....

"Next time at least give me the reach around when you screw me!! ;)

You are the reason they are in business, they should be tipping you! Do you also tip the parts guy when you buy a part at 40% mark up!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
T-revs said:
If your going to tip the guy I would go with....

"Next time at least give me the reach around when you screw me!! ;)

You are the reason they are in business, they should be tipping you! Do you also tip the parts guy when you buy a part at 40% mark up!!!

So why to you tip your pizza boy or hairdresser? There's a lot of mark up there too.

I tip when I get good service. That's all. I won't tip a waitress that gave me bad service. I won't tip a pizza boy that took 2 hours to get there and I won't tip my hairdresser if she gives me a bad cut. I tip all of them when I get good service though. Why not a bike salesman?
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top