Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed out the rear BT003 with a new one, and figured I can spend one more rear to the reminder of the front.

Man, how wrong that was...what is going on with these tires? Overheating? Low cold pressure? The rear looked cooked also. Running them hard at 29r/30f cold base. They got smiley faces in the grooves :)

I don't have too many complaints about them, they're good tires, not excellent tires

·
Registered
165 Posts
Are these BT003 RS or DOT race?
Are you riding street or track?

I'm thinking its a suspension setup issue but I don't claim to be an expert. I have seen those groove lips before with other tires and it was usually the suspension.

Also if your on the track (and it's hot) those pressures may be a little high for cold tires.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Here is what I run for the DOT race BT003's

Cold ----------- Off Warmers -------- Hot Off Track
27F / 26R ------ 29F / 28R ---------- 31F / 30R

If it is really hot on the track I run about a 1/2 - 1 pound higher off warmer temps.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If it is really hot on the track I run about a 1/2 - 1 pound lower off warmer temps.

Shouldn't you run a high pressure if the track temp is higher? That way the carcass will flex less and generate less heat and stay in optimal range. Perhaps I misunderstood your post.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are these BT003 RS or DOT race?
Are you riding street or track?

I'm thinking its a suspension setup issue but I don't claim to be an expert. I have seen those groove lips before with other tires and it was usually the suspension.

Also if your on the track (and it's hot) those pressures may be a little high for cold tires.

These are the RS'. I ride the canyons like it is the track; the fronts are much, much worse than the backs. The canyon I usually shred is terribly bumpy and has some hard downhill corners. I keep the suspension on the tight side with full in-4 rebound on front and full in minus 3 on compression as I'm usually in the 70-80 mi/h range on average. If I loosen the compression damping I get some nasty fork dive on downhill brake/entry. Full fork spring preload is factory sag for me.

I'll try dropping the pressures a bit too, you're probably right about that. The other thing I noticed as these tires wear down close to the serviceability limit, the carcass becomes much more pliable/softer

·
Registered
165 Posts
Shouldn't you run a high pressure if the track temp is higher? That way the carcass will flex less and generate less heat and stay in optimal range. Perhaps I misunderstood your post.
You are correct. I got it backwards. Higher for hot track, lower for cold track.

Here is what I got from the Bridgestone rep....

Baseline is 80 degree day. Go 1 or 2 lbs lower on cold days (below 60) and 1 lb higher on hot days (over 90). Set cold to start, but then check off the warmers (at least 45 min.) and adjust, then check hot off the track and adjust to that. Then just re-check hot off the track again a couple times during the day and adjust if necessary. Hot off the track is the most important pressure, the others are irrelevant once you can measure hot off the track.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts