Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
That video for chain adjustment is for a single sides swingarm!

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Obviously optimal tyre pressures vary with different weight/speed of rider, tyre brand/type, air/road temperature and anticipated continual distance.
But the recommended pressures are a good starting point. I tend to add a few pounds to the rear for a long trip in hot conditions (or if taking a passenger) to minimise wear.
Chain adjustment is not as simple as some may suggest. Of course you want it as tight as it can run without being TOO tight. Too tight can damage gearbox and axle bearings, and of course the chain and sprockets.
So always check your adjustment by getting your biggest mate to bounce on it while you feel the chain tension. (Loading the suspension tightens the chain, and needs to be allowed for during adjustment).
Basically you need to loosen the axle nut, and tighten the adjusters at the rear of the swing-arm. Each side's adjustment needs to be taken up equal amounts. Exactly.
At some stage it's worth getting someone with expertise to look along your wheels and check your wheel alignment, and set your rear wheel accordingly.
Then adjust it the same number of turns each side.
Just remember - better slightly loose than too tight!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use a Paddock Stand but drop it down to the ground and compress the suspension slightly (to measure it) as the 821 tension goes up when the suspension compresses (not all bikes to this or do it to the same degree). My chain has a bad tight spot on it, just 1000 miles in, and the bike vibrates/has poor 5 and 6th gear changes to false neutrals if I leave the recommended adjustment on the tight spot, so I am over-tensioning slightly which seems a good compromise. Fingers crossed.

I have never got a tight-spot like this so soon on a bike, and I have had many. We'll see how it goes. Anyone have similar experience?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.