Ducati.org forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I am now running 32 front and 34 rear with my Michelin power pros. When they are warm they are at 35 front and 38 rear. That is for the street.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Diablo Superbike sc2 all around on my 848 and always run 1.9 bar in the rear and 2-2.1 in front...very close to what the pdf says. sc1 rear for I4 bikes since i find the duc will generally tear the rear up quicker at some tracks.

Never found the limits of grip (using tire warmers of course) and tire life is good when the suspension was finally dialed in properly.

·
Registered
191 Posts
people say i run my pressures pretty low on mine for the street but i use 28f and 32r and found that to be the best to get the tire warmer quicker and it sticks like glue for typical cruising through twisties speeds, you just lose a couple hundred miles in wear and be careful with craters on the roads lol....it really comes down to what makes you feel secure on the road and weight of the bike and rider together also makes a big difference with pressures that should be used.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I usually run 38-38 front rear. Pilot power pure is what I usually run. On the Dunlop gp209 they felt fine at 32-32 on the street. It's the weirdest feeling to feel the bike be sluggish and two corners later the heat builds and the tire feels fine. But even with those I ran 38-38.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
i use 28f and 32r
rc,

Most riders have equal or more pressure in the front then the rear. 28 in the front seems a bit low for the street (for me). When you reach faster speeds it will feel sluggish on turn in. If you kick it up to 32, the tire will give you better response and feel at increased speeds.

Have you ever had a flat tire while riding? The ability to turn the bike goes to zero. It's the same basic principle if you run low psi in the front (similar to a flat). The tire, at 28, isn't flat enough to severly effect handling, but it's also not inflated to the point to give you the max feel from the tire.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
This one trackday I did there was this kid on a brand new RSV..i asked him where on the track his tire blew out? He said"it didn't, you don't know less air equals more grip" I replied oh ok. And that set the tone for the day.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
This one trackday I did there was this kid on a brand new RSV..i asked him where on the track his tire blew out? He said"it didn't, you don't know less air equals more grip" I replied oh ok. And that set the tone for the day.

HAHA!! He must have been a stunta.

·
Registered
191 Posts
wa11er, you do have a good point....I have gotten stuck riding back on a flat a few times with the o so wonder track quality roads of NYC lol...definitely don't do stunting with this bike and most of my riding is done on back roads as much as possible. some how I feel like I have a more secure feeling on the road in the 40-60 mph range when I go over slick spots or sand then when I had the tire at the recommended 32f 36r. maybe I'll play around more with the pressures to find a better combo

·
Registered
140 Posts
I usually run 38-38 front rear. Pilot power pure is what I usually run. On the Dunlop gp209 they felt fine at 32-32 on the street. It's the weirdest feeling to feel the bike be sluggish and two corners later the heat builds and the tire feels fine. But even with those I ran 38-38.
38/38 on the street for the Pures??

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've been running 33-33psi in my Power Pures on the street as recommended by Steve Saucier at European Cycle Services. Tire temperatures are nearly identical after a ride.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
38 front and rear seems way to high for power pures.

I notice a difference when my tire pressure is off by 2 psi.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I am now running 32 front and 34 rear with my Michelin power pros. When they are warm they are at 35 front and 38 rear. That is for the street.
...and that, my friends, is the perfect example of the 10/20 rule

Strad...man, you cant have the same pressures before and after warming them up. Dude, how are you measuring these pressures?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Moto Corse,

After a ride, I check the tire temperature with an infrared temp gauge. I compare the rise in temperature front tire to rear. There is usually less than 1-2 degrees difference between the tires when hot. I didn't say that there was no rise in tire PRESSURE.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i'm tracking my 1198s on sunday for the third time at Fontana. But for the first time i am runing the dunlop Q2's. i ran 32f 30r on the stock supercorsa rubber. does anyone have a recomendation for Q2 cold pressure?
At ACS, I run 30 Front, 28 Rear with Q2's Cold.

·
Registered
678 Posts
38/38 on the street for the Pures??
I run 38/38 with every tires I have had on the bike. Even the dunlop dot race tires ive had. No issues here even at knee dragging lean angles on the street. I hated the way the bike felt at factory recommended pressures so I always ran 36/36... I usually ride two up which brought me to 38/38 and that's just what I run now.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
If you keep running 38/38 on the track with dunlop race tires you are eventually going to fall. Dunlop will tell you what pressure they recomend for every track. I would trust them for a starting point. Once your tires get to hot they go from grippy to slippery.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Track is different that the street. If I said I run that high at the track my mistake... I will run track pressures at the track. The 209s I had seen about 4 hard sessions then 3600 miles afterwards on the street. I imagine if I started fresh on the street with the 209s I would have gotten 5-6k on the street. I just can't stand the way the bike feels on the street at lower pressures. Track is completely different. Ive only ever rolled the sides of the tire at the dragon which I ran 32/32 front rear. Sorry for the confusion if there was any.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I'm on my second set of Pures and tyre pressure recommendations are all over the bloody place.

The Michelin website instructs you to "refer to your motorcycle manufacturer for appropiate tyre pressures".

Other Forums say their "Tyre Manual" states 36F/42R. Other figures I have seen are 32F/36R, 40F/36R, 35F/37R. The shop that fitted the Pures on my 1098 said 36F/40R.

I've been running 34F/38R for open country roads and twisties. I took a stab in the dark and settled for that.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts