Ducati.org forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I'm on my second set of Pures and tyre pressure recommendations are all over the bloody place.

The Michelin website instructs you to "refer to your motorcycle manufacturer for appropiate tyre pressures".

Other Forums say their "Tyre Manual" states 36F/42R. Other figures I have seen are 32F/36R, 40F/36R, 35F/37R. The shop that fitted the Pures on my 1098 said 36F/40R.

I've been running 34F/38R for open country roads and twisties. I took a stab in the dark and settled for that.
With Pures, I run 34F/32R on the street, and they perform perfect! Once they reach warm temps my pressures increase to 37-38F/35-36R.

·
Registered
191 Posts
just out of curiosity because I see it posted almost everywhere except the manufactures recommendations. But how come you would use less air in the back than front?? I know this sounds like a silly question but I never poked around to find out why and looking for a easy answer to it lol. I would think more in the front than rear might make the bike feel a little slippery in front end feel.

·
Registered
221 Posts
just out of curiosity because I see it posted almost everywhere except the manufactures recommendations. But how come you would use less air in the back than front?? I know this sounds like a silly question but I never poked around to find out why and looking for a easy answer to it lol. I would think more in the front than rear might make the bike feel a little slippery in front end feel.
Hmmm? I run 30f/32r on both 1198SP and 1100SP. The rear "should" have a bit more than the front as it carries more weight, but it is also a larger tire.

However, the key pressure is the HOT pressure and some folks may find that the rear must start out a bit lower to hit the optimum hot pressure for best grip.

Cold pressures for the "standard" street riding should generally be higher than track or "spirited" street riding as they likely won't build as much hot pressure.

Please note that the tire pressure listed on the tire sidewall is the MAXIMUM "cold" pressure that is recommended for the bike at MAX load rating. Meaning that you generally will NOT run those high pressures unless carrying a passenger and/or cargo (luggage, etc.)

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
It is a personal preference when it comes to tire pressure, just like tire brands, gear you wear, etc...

I ride 32 (cold) in the rear on the street for a little more grip and drive out of the corners. The lower the pressure, to within reason, the larger your contact patch. The higher the pressure the less rubber you have touching the ground.

You don't want to have pressures too low, because then you get carcass deformation and handling is effected. At 32 (cold) the tire is still inflated to perform very well, but just has a slight bit more traction than if it matched the 34 (cold) of the front.

I also like my front tire to have a little more air to improve turn in and "feel" of the front of the motorcycle.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts