Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 2005 999. Was going to replace the fairly worn rear before I go to a track day this weekend. Well, I waited around and without doing some real hunting, only thing I can get tomorrow is a 190/55/17.

Keep in mind I'm a sport bike novice with only a couple of track days under my belt.

Stock should be a 190/50/17? That's what PO has on there now. Going to a 55 should quicken turn-in right? Which I'm all for except that I don't have any real seat time on this new-to-me bike, therefore nothing to compare it with. What's the downside? Just quicker turning than my novice butt might be ready for??

Last thing....rim stamp looks to read 5.50...hard to read under paint. Is the 190/55/17 workable on a 5.5" rim. Is the stock rim on an '05 999 5.5"

Thanks in advance for any opinions and input. Stoked to be a new member of ya'lls little club.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Yea, the 190/55/17 will work fine. The 5.5 wheel for sure prefers a 180/60, but the 190/55 will fit without a problem.

·
Registered
226 Posts
As Tuned noted they'll fine. BTW a great idea to re-skin the wheels rather than risking on a pair of worn tires, IMO biggest mistake fast novice riders make. The rear will be little harder to get all the way down to the edges so don't worry about it, and it'll will wear a little higher up. I'm running 195/65's w/5.5 on my 999 track bike and love them. Might need to drop the rear a few mm to rebalanced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input and welcome. Put a Metzeler M3 on the back today...short test ride felt good. They were cold but when it slipped it was very gradual and controlled. Very good for me, b/c I'm a moderate novice soon to be Fast Newb.

Taking it COTA on Sunday...yaFNhoooooo. Can't wait!

Tuned if you have time to expound, the 180/60 on the 5.5 will what? Give it a broader flatter profile with a wider contact patch??

And, any baseline track day pressure you might think I should start at?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Taller tires are better because they offer more sidewall, which is where your leaning grip comes from. On non-performance tires, they tend to keep that profile lower because they don't flex as much. When you get into more performance tires, you'll see taller sidewalls which flex a lot more and allow more edge grip.

So eventually when you go to the track more seriously, you'll wanna switch to a performance tire. Pirelli makes many 60 profile rear track tires and they've got so much grip on the side it makes you wonder when it will ever end. :)

I'm not familiar with the M3's, so I can't comment about the tire pressures.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.