Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just got my first Duc a 2010 848, bought it use with only 750 miles. the previous owner use it for a few track days and the tires have all the melted rubber on the sides from the leaning is there a way to get that out the tires still have a lot of live on it since I dont plan on leaning on turns anytime soon. Thanks ahead.

·
Registered
119 Posts
That is the way mine look when I did my track day right after I bought mine, I just rode it on the street no issues the bigger chucks will eventually come off. Now have 3000 miles on it and need tires ;-) Was surprised they lasted this long.

·
Registered
99 Posts
just drive it, it will be fine.

people will think you know how to ride lol
Yeah really! Can I have someone come over and put that melted rubber around the edge of my tires? I'd be cruising around like a total bad-ass with that, like: "Yeah that's right. Wanna see my elbow scuffs too!"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it looks bad ass and the tires still good but Im in the a senior ranking NCO in the ARMY and have inspections every three months and the ppl in charge don't know any better and give me a S***t about it that the tires aren't safe. I guess if I leave them like that need to learn how to lean it...lol Thanks

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I know it looks bad ass and the tires still good but Im in the a senior ranking NCO in the ARMY and have inspections every three months and the ppl in charge don't know any better and give me a S***t about it that the tires aren't safe. I guess if I leave them like that need to learn how to lean it...lol Thanks
People who say the tires are unsafe obviously don't know shit. If they ask just tell them it was done on a closed track. Using tires on your motorcycle is not a crime (or something the Army can tell you not to do). Ride it, and enjoy!

·
Registered
86 Posts
If it bothers you much just get a hot air gun, like you use to strip paint and either use the scraper tool that attaches to the nozzle or a similar scraper and work your way around the tire.
Thats how we clean the slicks on the sidecar race outfit, can't see why it wouldn't work for you??

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Seriously guys, is there any way you can take that off? Thanks
As outhouse said leaning the bike over is what is going to make it go away.

If you are that worried about it take some sand paper and rub it off, take it to a parking lot and counter steer your bike, or just ride it.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
there's the right way, the wrong way, and the military way. The third tends to leave you absolutely bewildered that anyone survived....

·
Registered
678 Posts
Post track day...

Post parade lap at Daytona

Just ride... If your command gives you crap they're retarded. I'm a NCO also, I punched the last LT in the face when he started giving me crap lol Jk. Seriously tho just ride.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yes, your army buddies are retards. They must be really good at not letting the facts interfere with their misinformed biases. If you try any other method (beyond just riding the bike) you could damage the tires.

The "Melted Rubber" is actually the tire working correctly. I think you are getting all worked up over nothing.

Just ride the bike, or take the military MSF rider training (which I think you are required to take) and the rubber will look like every other motorcycle tire.

dp

·
Registered
418 Posts
Well, it's the Army after all. That's a badge of honor and flat tops are more of a joke IMO.

j/k. I got worse shit while in the Navy too, so it's all over the place. "You have a light is out", "You need to put oil in that thing" (Dry clutch), and "Your tires are falling apart" crap. While training to be an MSF trainer for a TAD stint, I got into a heated debate about why we stick our knees out. I'll just say there's a LOT of overly complicated myths out there on anything that isn't common.

Anyway, if it upsets you this much then they're junk to you: I'll buy them if they're Super Corsas and they're not heat cycled to death. Might get you half into a set of fresh Dunlop Q2's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts