Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Yeah those are cold measures for track. The tires will heat up quite a bit there. For street I ran 31-33 psi front, 28-30 rear to get more life out of them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi

I am a bit confused as well . owners manual states 36 rear 32 front (Pirelli) cold , ran at this on street and developed flat spot on rear , the dealer thought I was running them to hard ,
any ideas please

·
Registered
457 Posts
You're gonna get a flat spot regardless of pressures if you do enough straight line riding. It's natural, especially with tires that have a softer compound in the center.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Street riding 36 rear, 32 front. This will 'feel' the best at street speeds, temps and lean angles.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Same here Tchase. If the weather is relatively cool out I will start with 33F 36R and will check them at the first gas stop. Ideally you should see a 10% increase in pressure when "hot". On warmer days I will drop the front and rear a few psi but never under 30F and 30R. I've gotten pretty good at pre ride pressure adjustments after 25k miles. Tire pressure also depends on how hard you are riding... if you are pushing the bike you will see a larger increase in pressure than if you are just commuting in traffic. When I go for day-long rides I will keep the pressures closer to the specified pressures and will increase the rear about 2 psi like t chase said. Same thing goes for cars. You will get better gas mileage out of a higher inflated tire but it is a trade off for ride comfort as it will be a little bit stiffer.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Definitely TChase, I didn't put that in because my riding does not consist of commuting long distance.

Might have to get a Street Glide for that ;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
great input guys , I do only twisty fun and no commuting so will go with owners manual and do slight changes due to ambient temp

·
Registered
233 Posts
Tchase

very interesting , most people I spoke to have suggested exactly those tyres as a replacement so will probably fit a set , any suggested psi ?

thanks

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I keep mine front and rear 35-36 psi.
I never commute or ride straight roads. There aren't straight roads where I live.
I regularly get 1400 to 1700 miles out of a set of tires. I have gone through 29 sets of tires on my 848 since new. The best I got was during break in, I was able to do 3200 miles on the first set.
Lower pressure just wears out the tires faster and cups them quicker.

Go by the manufacturers recommendation before following advice from the interwebs.
Web trolls usually spread false info which can get you hurt. Not worth it.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I do hope I'm not considered a troll :(
Nope.

Under inflation is much worse than over. I ran my C-14 over just to get a little more tire life.
Even a sh1tty tire has more traction than most street riders could ever use.

Understand where I live every wannabe roadracer in the nation comes here and thinks that they are on the race track.
Then when they crash out because they set up their bike wrong it is never their own fault.
I always hear guys spouting off about 25-32 psi in their tires then they are going to race through eleven miles of 318 curves with a posted 30 mph limit and a lot of traffic.
They can't get up to speed, their tires only warm up because they are too under inflated, then they wash out the front end and ruin their vacation.
Finally you hear the excuses... Dirt, gravel, another vehicle, all because the bikes traction could not move away from the obstacle quick enough.

Bikes will always handle better with the manufacturers specs. The racetrack is the place to adjust pressures, not the streets where there are too many variables.
But I can't really knock these guys... Because of them we have some of the best helicopters and trauma units which are well versed in treating Dragon bites.

Truthfully, I should have steered clear of this topic. Tire threads are never good on the internet. To many riding styles and conditions in the world for any two rides to be a like.
But simply put, there is a lot of RD testing done by the bike manufacturer and the tire companies before that safety sticker is placed on the swing arm. Remember that fact when adding air next time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I run 33/36 on my Bimota.

Interesting that Triumph state 41 for the rear tire on my Bonneville?

I'm happy at 36 with the much needed aftermarket suspension.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts