Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
time to replace the tires. has anyone tried other brands than the rosso 2. i see a lot of reviews about michelins and i have always put those on my cars. I was thinking of switching to them but I am unsure of what the negatives might be. thanks

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
The Rosso Corsa would be a good one to switch to or the Michelin PP3's. If the 821 has characteristic Ducati handling, the Michelin PP 2CT would be a good choice as it's slightly peekier tire will aid in better turn in. It's shape is a little more triangle rather than rounded like PP3 or Rosso's are.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats my question, should I? I am new to street bikes and didn't know if it could be better. I got 5000mi out of these tires, I would like something that lasted a bit longer if possible. I commute mostly with occasional trips to the dragon but i was reading about the michelin pr4 and how good they were in the rain that would be my only reason but these have been great rain or shine. just like to get advice from more advanced riders who have tried different things.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I highly doubt Rosso Corsa is going to last more than the Rosso 2, it is a softer compound if anything it will last the same or less, a lot less. If you looking for more lean angle grip and don't mind the extra cost go for the Corsa but that is about it.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
The Rosso Corsa is dual compound so it's center is harder for longer life while the sides are softer for better grip. Best of both worlds. As I said....the Rosso II is your entry level Pirelli. As a Service Writer in a motorcycle shop, I have to know these things as I get it asked a lot.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i did end up going with the rosso 2. i thought i did enough research but when i got to the shop to order the pp3 or the rosso 2 i found out the pp3 only comes in 180/55. since i wasn't sure about it i just stuck with the rosso 2. would it have mattered going with the 180/55 instead of 180/60 considering traction control and abs programing stuff? seems like such a small difference but no one was sure if it could be used or not. couldn't wait any longer though so just went with what i knew worked.
thank you for the input. gonna check out the corsa next time i thought they were meant more for track days so i assumed they would wear faster also. makes sense what you said [email protected]

·
Registered
182 Posts
The Rosso Corsa is dual compound so it's center is harder for longer life while the sides are softer for better grip. Best of both worlds. As I said....the Rosso II is your entry level Pirelli. As a Service Writer in a motorcycle shop, I have to know these things as I get it asked a lot.
The Rosso 2 is dual compound as well, I agree that the corsa is a better tire but the there is no way it is going to last longer than the Rosso 2. I just checked and it is rated for 3000 miles. 2k miles less than the Rosso 2. For street use only the extra cost and less miles makes no sense plus I am pretty sure you get better grip in wet conditions with the Rosso 2.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I highly doubt the small difference would cause an issue with the traction control or the speedometer. Personally though I would stick with 180/60. Someone's else here may have tried a different size tire on this bike and can chime in.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
The Rosso 2 is dual compound as well, I agree that the corsa is a better tire but the there is no way it is going to last longer than the Rosso 2. I just checked and it is rated for 3000 miles. 2k miles less than the Rosso 2. For street use only the extra cost and less miles makes no sense plus I am pretty sure you get better grip in wet conditions with the Rosso 2.
I don't listen to ratings and such, I listen to what the customers tell me they get from the tires. A lot depends on what your riding style is and since tires are the only thing between your bike and the road, I go with better grip over a couple thousand K's.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
i did end up going with the rosso 2. i thought i did enough research but when i got to the shop to order the pp3 or the rosso 2 i found out the pp3 only comes in 180/55. since i wasn't sure about it i just stuck with the rosso 2. would it have mattered going with the 180/55 instead of 180/60 considering traction control and abs programing stuff? seems like such a small difference but no one was sure if it could be used or not. couldn't wait any longer though so just went with what i knew worked.
thank you for the input. gonna check out the corsa next time i thought they were meant more for track days so i assumed they would wear faster also. makes sense what you said [email protected]
The Rosso Corsa is a street/track tire. The more dedicated track tire is the SuperCorsa. It's a fantastic track day tire but not so good on the street. It wears out quite quickly and as the sides have no tread, it's not a very good wet weather tire.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The Rosso Corsa is a street/track tire. The more dedicated track tire is the SuperCorsa. It's a fantastic track day tire but not so good on the street. It wears out quite quickly and as the sides have no tread, it's not a very good wet weather tire.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the same compound that is used in SuperCorsa is on the sides of Rosso Corsa. The only difference in rubber is in the middle when you're upright. That compound is harder so you don't wear the center out as fast riding on the street.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
The side compound is pretty much the same but the SuperCorsa's starts sooner (at slight lean) and has no tread to it to disperse water. The SuperCorsa came stock on my D675 and I damn near put myself on the ground on a misty morning as I forgot there's nothing to move water if you start leaning it over.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't listen to ratings and such, I listen to what the customers tell me they get from the tires. A lot depends on what your riding style is and since tires are the only thing between your bike and the road, I go with better grip over a couple thousand K's.
[email protected] I agree with most of what you said but you may want to reconcider discounting tire treadwear ratings. Those ratings are based on tried and true scientific methods and as an engineer I would trust them over any anecdotal feedback or advice from anyone.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
[email protected] I agree with most of what you said but you may want to reconcider discounting tire treadwear ratings. Those ratings are based on tried and true scientific methods and as an engineer I would trust them over any anecdotal feedback or advice from anyone.
When a customer comes in and we install tires on his 1098 at 8300km's and he comes back in at 18,000Km's for new tires, that's what I go by. When a customer comes in with his Triumph Sprint at 21,000KM's for new tires and then back in at 33,000Km's for new tires, that's what I go by.

I've run every brand of tire and even different models of tires from the manufacturers on my 848 and between the Rosso Corsa and the PP line of tires, I tend to get 10,000Km's when sport touring.

All of my info is based on real world people using the tires for various types of riding on various bikes. I read magazines and specs and stats but I tend to listen to the people using the products on the roads and not in controlled tests and environments.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.