Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all the tall riders out there... I am 6'4" (193cm) tall and currently ride a 2010 848. I look like a giant on it but it is actually comfortable to ride for someone my height. I am however thinking of upgrading to the 1199S and am wondering if there are any tall riders out there who have made the switch or have any feedback on the 1199? I have a test ride coming up to see for myself but i'd like to know if any of you taller guys have any recommendations.
Cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
i am6'4" and about 240 lbs. and on my old R6 I was told I looked like a linebacker humping a football. Last summer I purchased the 1199S but with only 3000km on her so far bc of a faulty coolant seal I cant give a 100% answer. but compared to my old bike I do feel more comfortable riding the 1199. to me it feels completely different but it feels like the bike fits me better. wish I could give a better answer, but I have only owned 2 bikes so my knowledge in the area in limited.
hope this helps you.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'm 6'3" 200 lbs and ride a 2001 748 and It fits me well actually.

·
Registered
654 Posts
6ft 180lbs and the 848 is pretty good fit. Im not an extra large guy, but as far as height goes the difference between 6ft and 6ft3in shouldnt make a world of difference. For me, I find it more comfortable to ride with my balls against the tank... not in a perverted way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'll one up everyone...ha

I am 6'7" and currently 235lb. I bought my 1199S last spring. INSTANTLY I loved the bike. I have always felt comfortable on it and my first ride, literally off the showroom floor, I rode 200 miles. But here's the kicker....if I am not RIDING it, it can get uncomfortable. If I am with friends or a group ride that the pace is say "normal" (ie 5-10 over if that at all times) it get's old fast. But when I am enjoying the bike(read not being a complete ass hat, but not being a pu**y about it) I don't notice. But it is after all a street legal race bike. The thing wasn't designed with comfort in mind. My recommendation is if you're going to have more spirited riding/trackdays keep those setting in the Race settings, and for less antics and more "comfort" store them in Sport.

·
Court Jester
12,025 Posts
6'1 finally got below 200lbs :) find myself very comfortable on the 848

·
Banned
782 Posts
Anyone who says they are comfy on a 848/1098, has never tried a 1199 for a decent ride.

I had a 848 for 3 years and it is a F'n torture rack for 6' 195lbs. Your wrist literally bleed after a 100 miles, after 300 miles in a day your beat for a few days.

Having the 1199 is sweet, my first day was over 200 miles and my wrist were still A OK for another 200 miles.

Its a night and day difference, dump the old sled and get the 1199, best decision ive ever made on a bike. I love this new bike.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had a 848 for 3 years and it is a F'n torture rack for 6' 195lbs. Your wrist literally bleed after a 100 miles, after 300 miles in a day your beat for a few days.
are these twisty miles or freeway miles? if you're pulling 300+ miles in the canyons etc, you're a masochist. end of story.

i've ridden back to back 200mi days on my 848. the last 30mi you pray for autopilot, but the preceding 2 days of riding make it worth it. i'm 6', but only 140lbs, so there's not much of me to hold up.

no doubt the 1199 is a step up. and so it should be, given its a newer model with a better design that costs more money. i dont think you really need to ride one to figure that out.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Anyone who says they are comfy on a 848/1098, has never tried a 1199 for a decent ride.

Having the 1199 is sweet, my first day was over 200 miles and my wrist were still A OK for another 200 miles.

Its a night and day difference, dump the old sled and get the 1199, best decision ive ever made on a bike. I love this new bike.
6'1" -205. Not a torture rack at all. Have done multiple, back-to-back, days of 500+ miles without issue in the twisties. The only problem with this bike is when you get stuck on the super slab and you don't move around on the bike. And if you find yourself stuck on the highway often, you have the wrong bike. Also good conditioning and you won't feel so wiped out. Grip the tank with your knees and don't put weight on your wrists. I've never had sore wrists with over 21 k miles.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You only have to sit on them to realise the new ones are like a little 600, same as the Aprilia and ZX10. Being 6' 2 I will stick with the 1198 and hold on with the legs so the wrists don't matter.

·
Banned
782 Posts
6'1" -205. Not a torture rack at all. Have done multiple, back-to-back, days of 500+ miles without issue in the twisties. The only problem with this bike is when you get stuck on the super slab and you don't move around on the bike. And if you find yourself stuck on the highway often, you have the wrong bike. Also good conditioning and you won't feel so wiped out. Grip the tank with your knees and don't put weight on your wrists. I've never had sore wrists with over 21 k miles.
I said the same thing before I owned my 1199.

Was training and almost ready for a half marathon at this time ;) plus weight training.

been riding most all my life.

Try the 1199, the ergo's make all the difference even though they are small changes. Your body does notice it.

·
Court Jester
12,025 Posts
I think we are talking about sports bike being comfortable it is a very fine line and will very a lot.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The 848/1098/1198 bikes are larger than the 1199 and therefore are a better fit for me, 6'3", 225lbs. I tried to be comfy on several 1199 test rides but found my 1098 a better fit. Agreed that being fit makes for better endurance and less fatigue on any sport bike.
Greg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts