Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, as many of you know I too have placed my deposit on the new 1098 but as I have been thinking over the past few weeks I wonder if I should go ahead and 'spring' for the 'S' version. Currently I do a bit of road racing on my 2004 ZX-10R and I have every trick bit one could want. Ohlins, magnesium Marchesini, etc, etc. This new 1098 was meant to be a raod bike for a year or so before I began messing with it. So knowing myself and knowing that eventually I'll want at least an Ohlins cartrige kit and rear shock, should I get the 'S' now? Or should I wait and get a full exhaust now, enjoy the bike as a road machine - I'm sure I'll take it to the track at least once thos year - and in a year or so start getting even lighter than 'S' rims (carbon) and do my own shock work like I have on the ZX?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
You're going through the same thing as I was. I ended up going with the S. Do it, Do it...lol

You know you're gonna do it anyways, might as well save the money. It's waaaay cheaper than doing it after the fact.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Yup. If its gonna end up on the track, you gotta get the S! You have the same game plan I do. I want to ride it on the street until I start seeing too many other people with one, and then its all track time babieee!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My only concern is this....I can get BST carbon rims for about $3k, an Ohlins rear (real deal superbike) shock and steering damper for about $1.5k and do an Ohlins superbike kit fork kit for about $1.5k. I would end up with a better bike and have a spare set of wheels for the road. The price would be about the same to do all this to a base versus buying the 'S' model. Thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
slightly inferior suspension(the whole is greater than the sum of the parts), slightly superior wheels (the 'S's marchesini's are already lighter than stock), all for about $500 - $1000 more than buying the 1098S straight up.

I dunno... I realize you'll have an extra set of rim's, but you'll also have to invest more time and effort into converting the bike. And, you won't have the DDA, which is something I'm looking forward to because I'm tired of my damn mircon missing my lap because the signal was blocked by another rider :(

Its a close call, but for me... I'd still go with the S.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
van-man said:
slightly inferior suspension(the whole is greater than the sum of the parts), slightly superior wheels (the 'S's marchesini's are already lighter than stock), all for about $500 - $1000 more than buying the 1098S straight up.

I dunno... I realize you'll have an extra set of rim's, but you'll also have to invest more time and effort into converting the bike. And, you won't have the DDA, which is something I'm looking forward to because I'm tired of my damn mircon missing my lap because the signal was blocked by another rider :(

Its a close call, but for me... I'd still go with the S.
You can buy the DDA seperately for the standard 1098 but i'd go for the S just on resale alone. If you ever want to get rid of it I think it'll be the one holding it's value well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
gossa said:
You can buy the DDA seperately for the standard 1098 ...
True ... ALL 1098s have the DDA capability. Just the S and TC come with the DDA kit. The DDA unit (plug n play) can be purchased for $285 for Ducati and used on the 1098 base bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am still torn only because the money really is the same if I simply get a base 1098 and add the BST carbon rims, cartidge kit, rear Ohlins shock, steering damper and DDA.....BUT the BST's are lighter than even the 'S' versions rims and the suspension will be exactly set up for me. So my thinking is this is a smarter decision but not neccessarily the decision I want to make. I like the 'S' a whole bunch but I only wish Ducati did not put that red stripe on the rims. Wouldn't it also be trick to have the fork tubes, rear shock, steering damper and swingarm anodized black!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I struggled with the same thing as you Duc1098. I like the Ohlins better than the stock option but at the end of the day would it make much of a difference on the road? Most likely no, it wouldn't. It's a lot of hype and I have $5000 (usd) extra smackers in my pocket, some of which will go towards a new exhaust.

If and when you get serious about track riding the 1098, then it's time to think about replacing some equipment.

Either model will be fast in the hands of an experienced rider, I'm not sure 4 lbs will make much of a difference at a track day unless you decide to start racing; at which points every ounce counts.

Just my take, which is not worth much these days :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took the plunge and had the dealer change my order from a base to 'S' model. Problem solved. btw, did anyone notice the 'S' rims are identical to the F41000R rims, except for the red stripe. I think they look really nice on the F4 - nice finish!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Maxx said:
I struggled with the same thing as you Duc1098. I like the Ohlins better than the stock option but at the end of the day would it make much of a difference on the road? Most likely no, it wouldn't. It's a lot of hype and I have $5000 (usd) extra smackers in my pocket, some of which will go towards a new exhaust.

If and when you get serious about track riding the 1098, then it's time to think about replacing some equipment.

Either model will be fast in the hands of an experienced rider, I'm not sure 4 lbs will make much of a difference at a track day unless you decide to start racing; at which points every ounce counts.

Just my take, which is not worth much these days :)
thats all very logical and rational, i bought mine with the hart and not with my head :heart: ... so i bought the "s"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
I was thinking about this dilemma yesterday, and you know what I realized?

If Ducati does introduce the 1198R in 2008, which I seriously think they will, then none of this matters, because pretty much every one of us track guys will be heading right back to the dealer.

I hate technology!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
van-man said:
I was thinking about this dilemma yesterday, and you know what I realized?

If Ducati does introduce the 1198R in 2008, which I seriously think they will, then none of this matters, because pretty much every one of us track guys will be heading right back to the dealer.

I hate technology!

HAHA!! Sad but true. They've got me every year for the past 6. I just can't seem to keep a bike longer than a year. There's always something better coming out the next year...lol


Good choice on buying the "S" :yo:
I think you were a little light on your Ohlins price quotes anyways. Plus it will be all the right spring and damping rates all working togther, all set up by the factory. I think you made the right choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Has anyone ridden both the base and the S? What's the difference in ride between the stock Showa's and the Ohlins? I don't question the improved build quality, but do they have different spring rates and/or damping? With both being fully adjustable, you should be able to dial both in for road or track... Sorry for the noob question - just coming up to speed on the 1098...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
van-man said:
I was thinking about this dilemma yesterday, and you know what I realized?

If Ducati does introduce the 1198R in 2008, which I seriously think they will, then none of this matters, because pretty much every one of us track guys will be heading right back to the dealer.

I hate technology!
Estimated cost is $32,000 + ... ouch !! :lightning :violin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Hey, I'm here now.

Been banished over at 1098forum for being sarcastic :stickpoke

Alvin, better keep an eye on me. I'm trouble, I tell ya.

Back on thread topic - It's inevitable high performance versions will be brought out, and sooner than later. However, I think the classic styling will preserve a good percent of the value. Look at differences between 916 and 998s. They are closer than you would expect. As for the 999, well it may or may not become desireable in time but I think its destiny is to be the Edsel of Ducati.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Bottom line it comes down to talent. I ordered the standard, I'm a decent rider, but I still do not have enough talent to use the "S" features, I would rather have the extra $5,000 to pay for more track days and traveling. I have been around way too many guys that have old equipment on the track and they are smokin the guys that can afford these fancy bikes, it is an embrassment to the guys with the high dollar suspension, leathers, and so forth. So buy the bike based on your ability, not what the magazine articles are telling you. but if the mental edge of the expensive parts help your head on the track then go for the "S".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
I thought I had my own problem solved when my dealer told me he only had the standard version available, so I told him to put me down for one. The next day he calls me and says he had a guy bump up from an "S" to a "TC", so he had one "S" available. I thought about it, for about 20 seconds.......I'm in for the "S" now.
I think the "S" will hold it's value better for sure.
Either way you slice it, it's one hell of a bike.

Bring on Spring!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
HI ALL, ANY ONE OUT THERE KNOW WHAT THE POWER DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE "s" AND "TRI COLORE" IS?. BOTH HAVE SAME QUOTED POWER OUTPUT ALLTHOUGH TRI COLORE HAS FULL TERMI SYSTEM, DIFF CHIP ETC. TORN BETWEEN BOTH!
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top