Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

New 848 rider since a couple days ago. She’s got 7500k miles with no service history. Plan on getting the belt changed and valves checked before riding any further than my few rips I’ve taken. I’m not accustomed to these rare exotic breeds of machine and cannot tell for the life of me if my top end is knocking. During my test ride to buy the bike from the private party I whomped on her and got up to 130mph and heard no noises whatsoever. Smooth all the way and no crazy vibrations. I get back from another test ride after my purchase to hopefully replicate the no noise smoothness, and to no avail, it sounds like there’s this knocking or loud tapping from underneath the gas tank. I took a flat head driver and turned it into a stethoscope and went all over the bike with it. Everywhere checked out with/without load EXCEPT for the gas tank area... noise speeds up with the load I’m giving it... doesn’t get any louder or quieter just matches the rpms... i know desmo valves sound different than regular valves but I’m not trained enough to know if she’s singing or throwing a main bearing or shooting one of these pistons out in an L shaped formation.
I’ll try and get a video tomorrow after I get home from work
Thanks for y’all’s time.

·
Registered
550 Posts
A video is well worth the effort...but so is ruling out the valves and belts...change them before you grenade the motor attempting to communicate the problem... we'll wait...take your time

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update. Changed the oil. Oil was definitely in need of changing. Came out pretty normal color for used oil. Oil did not shimmer in the light from metal flake but the drain plug did have some TINY TINY itty bitty metals on it. Not chalk full on the magnet either. Nothing a little cleaner couldn’t wipe off. I’d assume that’s pretty normal, right?

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
They are the dealerships ‘extra’ parts.. you know .. the ones alway left over at the end of the service when the tech says.. ‘ hmm. Wonder where these went, it’s running ok.. “ then throws them over his left shoulder.

·
Registered
'01 750SS ie
20 Posts
The big bolt might be the front fairing stay to frame bolt. It would probably be more useful to hear on the bike at speed if you can manage it. I put my phone on record and stick it in the "trunk" for a quick spurt to record some audio.

·
Court Jester
12,066 Posts
I was second guessing myself when I first got my 848 the "knocking" sounds for the most part at idle is normal. I've thrown a lower bearing and lost a belt twice. Believe me you will know when you hear it. Those bolts could go a few places the left one looks like radiator mount bracket or the fairing stay bolts. Do yourself a favor take off all the fairings nose rear ect and clean the bike. This is a great way to go over the bike completely.

Reactions: Aussie_Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do recall having a little bits of metal shaving. It was nothing that caused me worry.

Were the screws your rattling issue?

Here of what my bike sounds like:
http://instagr.am/p/BY1IDhghKip/
Changing the oil and removing those bolts did quiet the noise down a bit but I’m still hearing it. Or at least I THINK I’m still hearing it lol. I’m garaging her for a good majority of the summer after next Tuesday when I get my Kawi back from the shop. Gotta stack up some more coin to take this Duc to the dealer and get the service done. For the 200 miles I’ve put on her so far, she’s a blast!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts