Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
You don't say which model you have, but your clearances sound pretty good, and well within the range described.

Make sure each ring is exactly 'square' in the bore by carefully easing the top of the piston up the bore against it before doing your measurement.

But the Nikalsil bores do not normally wear much on these, unless there is a catastrophic failure.

I will be going into mine next week, and will be replacing my rings also as mine has done over 76,000 kms. (Mine shows no signs of wear or oil consumption).

I will post up my clearances. Essentially you should have a tighter ring gap on the new rings than the old ones. Of course.

The end gap on the compression (upper two) rings is more critical than the oil ring (lower).

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
My rebuild has stalled, due to Ducati's parts supply.

They told me they can't supply rings alone, as the piston and rings were changed for '08, and I have to buy pistons as well. Even though my pistons are in lovely nick.

But they have only been able to supply one piston assembly. There are "none available in the world" apparently.

So I am waiting while they make some more..

Hard to be happy with that. I will keep people informed of progress in the Pat's Engine Overhaul thread.

When there is some.

Lucky it's still winter here, and I have another bike to ride.

:(

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.