Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking all over for track tests for the 1098 but with no luck...

Does anyone have any of that fun bench racing info handy?

Lap times
acceleration
Top speed

·
Registered
35 Posts

Motorcyclismo claims 181 as the TS for the 1098.
That's all I've heard.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Motorcyclist magazine just published their test ride article of the final prototype, and the author said that it stomps the hell out of all the I4's on cornering and corner exit, but it is lagging behind the big I4's in top end.

Personally, I don't really care if the I4's start getting a run on me in the top end... I'll already have 5 lengths on 'em by the time they get it spooled up ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's probably close, since I've calcualted that it's geared to go 180 mph at rev-limit in 6th gear.
Trust me on this one: it will never hit the rev limiter in 6th with stock gearing and that kind of poor aerodynamics.

·
Registered
82 Posts
so it does't crosses the 300 km/h..... i hoped so, was getting used to it on my zx10r... have to keep up with my buddies ...

·
Registered
48 Posts
@zoeperman: the tacho on your ZX10 might indicate 299. but if you would pack a gps you would learn that the actual speed is less.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Peet said:
Trust me on this one: it will never hit the rev limiter in 6th with stock gearing and that kind of poor aerodynamics.
Yo Peet,

We've had this discussion on the other board too. I still think the 1098 will hit rev-limiter in 6th gear since it has plenty of HP, and the aeros aren't bad if you can tuck well. The aeros (CdA) of the bike are probably pretty good ... so yes, the rider's tuck will be the biggest factor.

We need a jockey to do the test with GPS. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yo Peet,

We've had this discussion on the other board too. I still think the 1098 will hit rev-limiter in 6th gear since it has plenty of HP, and the aeros aren't bad if you can tuck well. The aeros (CdA) of the bike are probably pretty good ... so yes, the rider's tuck will be the biggest factor.

We need a jockey to do the test with GPS. :D
Man , with all respect but wait untill posting this untill you have actually ridden a 1098.

I am 5'6 and even for me there is no place to "tuck well".

·
Registered
34 Posts
Peet said:
Man , with all respect but wait untill posting this untill you have actually ridden a 1098.

I am 5'6 and even for me there is no place to "tuck well".
LOL ... I said "if you can tuck well". :ahhh: :D

Yeah, I know the windscreen is super low ... that's why I said "if". :stickpoke :) :D

Cheers! :yo:

·
Registered
82 Posts
his latest evolution of the Ducati twin has got all one wants from a very high performance motorcycle engine: it is very tractable and responds very cleanly and shudder free from as low as 2000 RPM, surges at 4000 RPM generating gobs of massive torque that pull the bike out of any hole in any gear, then at about 7000 RPM starts its rocket like climb to the 10,500 RPM, with no hesitation and almost totally no vibration. Combined to the outstandingly light weight of the whole bike, the new 1098cc generated breath taking performances even if robbed of some 20Hp up there. The engine produces a throttle response of such density from 4000 RPM up and in any gear that the bike accelerates out of corners like a cheetah on steroids: very agile and very muscular. The engine produces a superb combination of impressive amounts of torque and flexibility down low and of fearless revvability up to extreme revs that make the Ducati 1098 stunningly aggressive always.

Top speed exceeds the magic limit of 300 kph and it does not take much to get there: 0-200 kph only takes a stark 7” flat.

http://www.infomotori.co.uk/a_63_EN_18509_1.html

·
Registered
34 Posts
Peet said:
That isn't even possible with the stock gearing. [email protected] made the calculations.
Peet is right. I calculated that the 1098 with stock gearing can only go 180 mph +/- a few mph at redline in 6th gear. That is actual speed ... not indicated on the speedo, which will most certainly read high.

Maybe the test article was talking about indicated on the speedo.

·
Registered
82 Posts
As fast as it is, the 1098 is actually undergeared; with a bigger front sprocket, no indicators or mirrors, a long run and a much braver rider than yours truly, I believe a genuine 322km/h (200mph in the old terms, Cyril) could be within reach.

@[email protected]: ould you calculate how the gearing should be to go over 300??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Zoeperman said:
@[email protected]: ould you calculate how the gearing should be to go over 300??
My program for calculating is on my other computer, so I will look at it tomorrow.

My gut feal is that a stock Ducati 1098 might have enough HP to go 185~186 mph max if geared up slightly. I don't think it has enough HP to go any faster with it's aeros, regardless of how perfectly it is geared for top end.

I will let you know what gearing soon ... but I would suspect 1 tooth larger on the front sprocket, OR two teeth smaller on the rear sprocket would get you close.

Cheers! :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
oK thx, no hurry :) i'm just curious....

me and my mates often ride from where i live to the nurburgring racetrack in Germany, in Germany you can go as fast as you like on some parts of the highway, so then we go full speed ahead.... with 3 zx10's and some other 1000's whe where almost as fast as the other, but i don't like to ride as third behind the rest.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Zoeperman -- looks like going from 15T to 16T on the front, or going from 38T to 36T on the rear would let you hit around 300 Kmh (186 mph) ... maybe more. Only way to know for sure is to try it.

Since Peet was able to hit rev-limiter in 6th gear with stock gearing, there is some HP left to go a little faster if re-geared as shown above.

If you try to re-gear, let us know the outcome.

:smoking:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts