Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what the top speed you've had your 1098 to? I was running from my buddy's Porsche today, w/out any trouble I miught add :) and saw 169 mph before rolling off a bit! I still haven't taken any runs with my portable GPS to see how accurate the clock is...but it was freakin' fast :D On the track I've only seen 145. Even got my DDA working finally and was able to see the telemetry. Greatest part of the whole thing was, about 2 miles down the road from where we backed off there was an unmarked highway patrol car with an old van pulled over, this on a road where you never see any cops!!! The Ducati gods were watching I guess ;)

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
I understand there's an agreement between japanese manufacturers to limit top speed of motorcycles imported into the USA at 300kph. This means that japanese liter bikes, (GSXR, KZ14, etc.), have governors on them. Without governors, all the japanese liter bikes would go faster than the agreed-upon 300kph limit.

I don't know if Ducati is a party to this agreement. If they are, then 300kph will be the top speed for the 1098, at least on USA models. If they aren't, I imagine the 1098 will break the 300kph barrier and then some. Anybody know if Ducati is a party to this agreement?

Elton

·
Registered
162 Posts
In the middle east we no such agreement! hehehe!

I don't know if they change the settings for us or just ship Euro settings, but I will try hitting top speed as soon as I am through the break-in period!

First Service needed at 1000Kms, current odo 1121, short break-in (Max RPM 8K) to 1500 Kms, then I'm free to break the sound barriar!

·
Registered
131 Posts
do our bikes have a top speed recall?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I wonder how fast it can go! I bet close to 195mph if I'm not mistaken!

They are taking my bike in for service today and hopefully they will be done with it in a couple of days! Really looking forward to it pushing the limit on it!

TexasKid how many miles you got on your bike now?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I wonder how fast it can go! I bet close to 195mph if I'm not mistaken!

They are taking my bike in for service today and hopefully they will be done with it in a couple of days! Really looking forward to it pushing the limit on it!

TexasKid how many miles you got on your bike now?

·
Site sponsor
880 Posts
We were running today top end with a stock Hayabusa and the guy could not believe his eyes. Now I am not saying he got passed but the 1098S did hang right with him. :flamethro

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I heard or read in a mag. that with the stock gearing the bike's top speed is very low compared to most liter bike, like 170.

Jason

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Visitor Q said:
I heard or read in a mag. that with the stock gearing the bike's top speed is very low compared to most liter bike, like 170.

Jason
Mine was still pulling hard at that point and at 169 the engine was spinning at 9529 rpm, according to the DDA.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
vikingdrvr said:
Mine was still pulling hard at that point and at 169 the engine was spinning at 9529 rpm, according to the DDA.
Beats me, just what a read... I mean by all means it should go faster than 160 or so, I mean my 600RR does 160.

Jason

·
Registered
188 Posts
Any of you figured out what the red line is on this beast. I am over 700 miles now and start winding her out. Hit the rev limiter a few times on 1st and 2nd, but never really get a good look at what RPM that the rev limiter hits.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have had 185 on the clock, and recorded it on my lap timer just for keeps sake, it was doing 10,500 rpm but goes up to 11,500 in other gears so there is a bit more.
but even at that speed it felt rock solid compared to my R1 which was really light at the front after 180+
Awsome bike !!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
boduc said:
Any of you figured out what the red line is on this beast. I am over 700 miles now and start winding her out. Hit the rev limiter a few times on 1st and 2nd, but never really get a good look at what RPM that the rev limiter hits.
10,700 is redline.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Cycle World clocked it at 176mph

Visitor Q said:

Jason

·
Registered
204 Posts
I believe it was Motorcyclist that stated top speed was 174mph in 6th gear at red line. That of course was probably done with a speed gun, which would remove any speedo error.

·
Registered
650 Posts
You can calculate the theoretical top speed by looking at the red line and using the final drive ratio for your calculation. I think that's what motorcyclist did.

Anybody with a dyno can also tell you by winding it all the way out in 6th gear, but that excludes wind.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts